What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji vs Inglis this Friday - who'll win the tussle?

Benji vs Inglis?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
mxlegend99 said:
:roll:It's a combination of things. Versatility. Starring at every level. Being a stronger athlete. Better defender.

Benji is a great attacking 5/8 when healthy. Don't get me wrong. Inglis is just a great player no matter where he is. This is from a non QLD, non Storm fans point of view.

Starring at every level? I already pointed out that Benji has performed great feats in finals football and in his one full international match. I would hardly say Inglis dominated in Origin either. I also don't see how Inglis is particularly versatile, he's a fast, linebreaking three quarter atm who is being experimented with as a playmaker. Inglis is bigger and faster, but Benji has better footwork and imo general vision, passing, and sleight of hand.

philstorm

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
Starring at every level? I already pointed out that Benji has performed great feats in finals football and in his one full international match. I would hardly say Inglis dominated in Origin either. I also don't see how Inglis is particularly versatile, he's a fast, linebreaking three quarter atm who is being experimented with as a playmaker. Inglis is bigger and faster, but Benji has better footwork and imo general vision, passing, and sleight of hand.
I believe Inglis scored two Origin tries on debut - not to mention his brilliant Tri-Nations.

shiznit

Coach
WTF??
im just sick of all this Inglis load of sh*t...
sure hes a talented young OUTSIDE BACK.
WERE TALKING 5/8 PEOPLE!!
what all you Inglis lovers are suggesting so far is that he can create things like Benji.
What a load of crap....
nothing that Inglis has done has shown me has the same creative skills Benji does.
has anyone seen any moment from Inglis that was better then what Benji has done.

Inglis is a great outside back... an outstanding talent. he just doesnt create opportunities like Benji does.

probably one of the greatest moment in football i have ever seen was from Benji when he set up that try for his winger against the sharks in 2005. nothing Inglis has done has even come close to that moment.

then you have the moment in the grandfinal. on the biggest stage in rugby league... Inglis was pretty quiet when his turn came last year.

as for reps... how bloody hard is it to look good on the end of lockeyers bullets.

shiznit

Coach
bad shoulder or not... the kids got heart.
his body just hasnt been up to it so far.
lets hope that extra muscle helps

Godz Illa

Coach
Either the Inglis honeymoon is going a bit too far or Benji is copping some of the usual cynical backlash for his recent high profile. Inglis is an amazing athlete, big, fast, elusive. But Benji is an artist.

Kiwi

First Grade
sheet_ed said:
I think Benji will come on top as 5/8th is concerned but Inglis will not play the whole game as 5/8th - the trial games see the back-line be rearranged about 2/3rd of the way through so I hope that Benji can play wing, centre and fullback if he wants to mark Inglis.

The Storm pack is very lethal. The last game against the Broncos saw a heavier, more aggressive pack than in 2006 with a stronger wrestling technique to slow down the opposition.
If Benji runs into Crocker, Lima, White or Kafusi that shoulder will go off like a champagne cork and pop out of Olympic Park.

No one wants to see Benji hurt he is a pleasure to watch so I hope he really is prepared for crunch time.

Having said that there is quite a bit of Karma between the Storm and the Tigers over the past couple of years, i.e. stupid Storm brain explosions from Billy Slater and Danny Williams, as well as McCracken suing Stephen Kearney and Marcus Bai for the spear tackle. So expect the judiciary to see someone on Monday.

Don't get too carried away with that one

Hutty1986

Immortal
philstorm said:
I believe Inglis scored two Origin tries on debut - not to mention his brilliant Tri-Nations.

2 tries on debut that should have been scored by any winger.. and this is forgetting some of the bombs he dropped. His Tri Nations was fantastic but he has to prove himself consistently

simon says

First Grade
Godz Illa said:
Either the Inglis honeymoon is going a bit too far or Benji is copping some of the usual cynical backlash for his recent high profile. Inglis is an amazing athlete, big, fast, elusive. But Benji is an artist.

Good Post, agree 100%.

Noa

First Grade
Thierry Henry said:

You couldnt go wrong with either one, both young champs of the game BUT........

......In a game BASED on speed and power I'll take the bigger, stronger, faster person 9/10 (didnt do Mals career any harm being the best combo of speed and strength in the game), and if you doubt Gregs skill make sure you watch a few Strom games this year as you couldn have watched too many last year.

Hutty1986 wrote

"2 tries on debut that should have been scored by any winger.. and this is forgetting some of the bombs he dropped. His Tri Nations was fantastic but he has to prove himself consistently".

Yes that first try was so simple, I remember locky fired the ball about a foot behind him so Greg spun caught the ball in his fingertips with his back to the try-line, kept spinning, put the ball in his left hand put a fend on Mark Gasnier with his right and slammed the ball down in the corner ball. So simple Manu Vatuvai could have done it.

Also Hutty I looked up consistently in the dictionary and this is what it said "Greg Inglis in 2006: 18 tries in 12 games, 1 line break away from leading that cat. despite missing 2 months of football, top 2 metres/game, top 2 tackle busts/game, top 5 total meters/game".

So yeah Greg step it up this year you were a bit hot and cold last year.

Lowdown

Juniors
shiznit said:
WTF??
im just sick of all this Inglis load of sh*t...
sure hes a talented young OUTSIDE BACK.
WERE TALKING 5/8 PEOPLE!!
what all you Inglis lovers are suggesting so far is that he can create things like Benji.
What a load of crap....
nothing that Inglis has done has shown me has the same creative skills Benji does.
has anyone seen any moment from Inglis that was better then what Benji has done.

Inglis is a great outside back... an outstanding talent. he just doesnt create opportunities like Benji does.

probably one of the greatest moment in football i have ever seen was from Benji when he set up that try for his winger against the sharks in 2005. nothing Inglis has done has even come close to that moment.

then you have the moment in the grandfinal. on the biggest stage in rugby league... Inglis was pretty quiet when his turn came last year.

as for reps... how bloody hard is it to look good on the end of lockeyers bullets.

Inglis may not creat opportunities for those around him...instead he creates his own opportunities out of nothing. I'd take the latter anyday, as it's simply one less pass to be thrown, one less opportunitity for a mistake, one less chance which could be blown.

Benji is a great attacking creator. Inglis is much more the athlete, bigger, faster, stronger and a great defender. The sum of those parts > Benji's occasional creative brilliance.

We'll see how the little tiger goes tomorrow night. Tigers reckon they won't be hiding him on the wing which is great. I can't wait for Kaufusi and White to test him out then.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Noa Nandruku said:
You couldnt go wrong with either one, both young champs of the game BUT........

......In a game BASED on speed and power I'll take the bigger, stronger, faster person 9/10 (didnt do Mals career any harm being the best combo of speed and strength in the game), and if you doubt Gregs skill make sure you watch a few Strom games this year as you couldn have watched too many last year.

Hutty1986 wrote

"2 tries on debut that should have been scored by any winger.. and this is forgetting some of the bombs he dropped. His Tri Nations was fantastic but he has to prove himself consistently".

Yes that first try was so simple, I remember locky fired the ball about a foot behind him so Greg spun caught the ball in his fingertips with his back to the try-line, kept spinning, put the ball in his left hand put a fend on Mark Gasnier with his right and slammed the ball down in the corner ball. So simple Manu Vatuvai could have done it.

Also Hutty I looked up consistently in the dictionary and this is what it said "Greg Inglis in 2006: 18 tries in 12 games, 1 line break away from leading that cat. despite missing 2 months of football, top 2 metres/game, top 2 tackle busts/game, top 5 total meters/game".

So yeah Greg step it up this year you were a bit hot and cold last year.

How ironic that you mention Vatuvei, because if speed and strength were the decisive factors in being a good player, than Manu is the best in the world.

smeghead

Bench
Settle down there Billy.

Funnily enough I also look forward to Benji's shoulders being given a good workout. At least than we will have some indication on how the surgery healed up. It would be shattering to lose him but either way there are 25 rounds ahead to see what unfolds.

As for my preference I would pick Benji. For me Inglis has had one pretty good year and one stellar year. This year is a different ball game however. Teams saw how Berrigan neutralised him for all intents and purposes in the grand final of 06. I feel more of the same may be headed his way. Time will tell though

Shorty

Staff member
This is a stupid comparison,Inglis has only been at 5/8 since the beginning of the year.
He hasn't proven himself yet,but that doesn't mean he won't.

Benji is an awesome player at the moment,but I wouldn't be able to stand it if I was a Tigers fan,chewing my nails worrying if he'll get injured again.

Hopefully he won't,but come next year and we're back here again with the same people I can concur that Inglis will have ran rings around him.
Inglis is a star and I generally believe he'll succeed in whatever position is handed to him.

That's not to take anything away from Benji but people like Inglis only come around so often.

Noa

First Grade
Thierry Henry said:
How ironic that you mention Vatuvei, because if speed and strength were the decisive factors in being a good player, than Manu is the best in the world.

In the NRL it plays a very large part, I dont know why your trying to argue against that fact. As for Manu, if he had a decent football brain he could easily be a top 10 player in the NRL one day.

Lowdown

Juniors
Cowgirl86 said:
This is a stupid comparison

Then you should have either not entered the thread, or stopped at the end of the above observation. Instead you've just entered the debate in similar fashion to everyone else here...

As Forest said "stupid is as stupid does"

Shorty

Staff member
Lowdown said:
Then you should have either not entered the thread, or stopped at the end of the above observation. Instead you've just entered the debate in similar fashion to everyone else here...

As Forest said "stupid is as stupid does"
Um..no last time I checked,this is a forum where people are able to speak their mind.
Last time I checked that was the point.
Go back and jerk over various Storm articles/subjects/products.

Latest posts