What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest feel-good Grand Final?

Knightmare

Coach
Some Grand Finals (indeed, many of them, like the '97 ARL Grand Final) have one team who almost everyone hates and wants to see beaten, while others (2004) despite being dubbed "the Grand Final everyone wanted to see" was the decider which had people by and large wishing there didn't have to be a winner. But which Grand Final, in your time following the game, would you say had the biggest "feel-good" factor to it, all personal bias aside?

My vote would be the 2005 decider. The Cowboys and the Tigers had both, fairly recently, been the competition's easy-beats, but leading up to that Grand Final they had both been playing entertaining football with some dynamos in their sides (Ty Williams, Thurston, Marshall etc.). It would be either clubs' first ever Grand Final win, and to whoever lost, just making it to the decider had been a great achievement. I was behind the Tigers that night, but had the Cowboys won I wouldn't have begrudged them one bit.

Bench
Some Grand Finals (indeed, many of them, like the '97 ARL Grand Final) have one team who almost everyone hates and wants to see beaten, while others (2004) despite being dubbed "the Grand Final everyone wanted to see" was the decider which had people by and large wishing there didn't have to be a winner. But which Grand Final, in your time following the game, would you say had the biggest "feel-good" factor to it, all personal bias aside?

My vote would be the 2005 decider. The Cowboys and the Tigers had both, fairly recently, been the competition's easy-beats, but leading up to that Grand Final they had both been playing entertaining football with some dynamos in their sides (Ty Williams, Thurston, Marshall etc.). It would be either clubs' first ever Grand Final win, and to whoever lost, just making it to the decider had been a great achievement. I was behind the Tigers that night, but had the Cowboys won I wouldn't have begrudged them one bit.
I liked that one too:lol:.
But the 85 GF was a good one,I was there,Saints came within a whisker of winning all 3 grades that day.
And Chris Guider played in all 3 games for Saints that day.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Funnily enough, the 2009 Grand Final for me. Seeing a maligned player like Brett Finch play a pretty good game and finally win a title (something which most of his detractors never said would happen) was pretty cool. I didn't think he suited our team as a halfback who had to take all the responsibility, but he was always pretty good as a 5/8 outside a dominant halfback. That, and he's a top bloke.

Aside from that, I think the 2005 Grand Final stands out.

Ridders

Coach
Never really got into the 2005 GF. Never could get excited about the whole fairytale vs fairytale angle.

Agree with Johns Magic, I loved watching the Panther's winning in 2003. Liked alot of their players, including Martin Lang who've I've always admired.

My choice would be the 1997 GF with Darren Albert stealing the GF from Manly. I think I'll remember that moment for as long as I live.

Last edited:

Timmah6991

Juniors
'06, hands down. No one expected us to win, we flogged Canterbury in the Finals when we were losing at half time - who could forget Shaun Berrigan in the corner!!!

It was a very good finals campaign.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
97 Knights vs Sea Eagles, easily. It was the game that saved the game and was so fitting for what the game was going through. The working class Knights came out and beat a red hot, money backed Sea Eagles, and did it at the death too. Great stuff. Funny enough though, Newcastle did employ some dirty tactics that game, great stuff.

MSIH

Bench
'06, hands down. No one expected us to win, we flogged Canterbury in the Finals when we were losing at half time - who could forget Shaun Berrigan in the corner!!!

Yeah who could forget that. Wasn't it Brent Tate in the corner?

MSIH

Bench
2008 easily. Menzies getting the send-off he deserved. Beaten by the Refs in 95, beaten by Drugs in 97, beaten by a dirty tackle in 07, finally got that 2nd premiership.

Mr Saab

Referee
Yeah who could forget that. Wasn't it Brent Tate in the corner?

No. Berigan in the corner (he is talking about the prelmim final vs the Puppy dogs). Hodges made the break up the middle, passed to Berrigan who palmed off Utai and ended up on his head as he scored the try. Best Broncos game ever.

for mine of course is the 2000 Grand Final. Kevin Walters wife had just died of Breast Cancer and he goes on to captain the Broncos to a Grand Final win in what was at the time his last ever game. In a season where it was a "rebuilding" year. After winning the GF with such a young side, it was almost certain we would go on to win multiple premierships with gun youngsters like Berrigan, Meyers, Carlaw etc. but most never kicked on and we only won another premiership.

2006 is hard to go past as well. Webckes final game. Winning the GF after being written off all year, even by most of the Broncos fans on here. Thats why I never give up with the Broncos. Even when we are in a "slump" we are just a week or 2 away at any time from playing ourselves into premiership winning form.

hilltop hood

Juniors
I'd go with 2003. A victory for the working class! For some reason I recall really enjoying 2004 also.

Going back a bit... Darren Albert magic in '97 and the Panthers first in '91.

Of Parras 4, I really loved the tryless '86 Grand Final against our arch-rivals with Pricey and Crow getting the fairytale.

African Monkey

First Grade

It was a very good finals campaign.
The game where you guys hammered Newcastle the week before the Canterbury game stood out for me. One of the best finals performances I've ever seen.

I can see why some would like 2003 but I'll leave that alone and put forward Penrith's first win over Canberra in 91 and Newcastle over Manly in 97. I still feel good about those.

Paullyboy

Coach
Any team who wins after working their way up (rather than buying players) would be the feel-good result.

Shorty

Staff member
Bitter sweet feeling with the 2005 final, but it is my favourite.
Also 97 was amazing.
Any grand final that has a side that has yet to win a premiership (or hasn't won one in decades) is going to make me happy.

Latest posts