What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater - Great GF Moment

Danish

Referee
Why do people rate the sattler tackle so highly? Byrnes was never in front of him and he was one of the slowest wingers ever to lace up a boot, so getting across was no great feat. On top of that, Byrne even stumbled and made it much easier to chase him down, bringing a bunch of luck into it.

Granted I am a roosters fan so will obviously be biased against it, but I don't see how what slater did (turning then chasing down one of the fastest blokes in the comp on a bung knee) is any less a great feat than sattler's tackle

simostorm

Bench
After watching both again.. I'd put slaters effort ahead of sattlers.. Morris regathers its a try.. slaters speed and timing and outstanding skill spoils the effort of Morris. Bravo billy.. bravo.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Thought Cameron Smith stopping Ennis 1 on 1 over the line was equally as big a play.

Gotta agree, perhaps even more so considering that it was the last tackle, which meant that there was a handover to the Storm who had been defending their own line for about 8 minutes...

ceagle

Bench
The play would of gone to the video ref and would of been dissalowed for obstruction

Johns Magic

Referee
Players who work hard off the ball create their own luck and that's what Billy does better than anyone else.

MuTT

Juniors
Best GF moment from Sunday , tackleSlater being put on his backside , beautiful !

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Why do people rate the sattler tackle so highly? Byrnes was never in front of him and he was one of the slowest wingers ever to lace up a boot, so getting across was no great feat. On top of that, Byrne even stumbled and made it much easier to chase him down, bringing a bunch of luck into it.

Granted I am a roosters fan so will obviously be biased against it, but I don't see how what slater did (turning then chasing down one of the fastest blokes in the comp on a bung knee) is any less a great feat than sattler's tackle

Holy f**k.

Didnt your wingers cost you dearly that night.

:lol::lol::lol:

Walker & Byrnes.

That Sticky - he can sure pick em.

firechild

First Grade
After watching both again.. I'd put slaters effort ahead of sattlers..

Of course you would. Morris was beaten by an unlucky bounce, not by any Slater brilliance. Any decent fullback would have come up with exactly the same play. There have been plenty of big plays in recent grand finals but that was not amongst them.

babyg

Juniors
Play of the day was Cronks hold up pass to Slater. Could watch that shit all day. Then slaters, widdop and smith.

Stagger Lee

Bench
The bounce was horrendous, Slater made a good effort but it wasn't match defining IMO. Waqa's efforts in defence were just as good.

This

Waqa's read of a 3 - 1 play on his wing and choosing to commit himself to the intercept which he got. It was a big decision by him and has not had the recognition it deserves.

firechild

First Grade
Waqa's defensive read (in fact Waqa's defense all night was top shelf), Widdop's chase and Smith's tackle on Ennis were all far more impressive.

bottle

Coach
In years to come when people discuss defining moments in GFs Sattler's effort will always be front of mind.
Slater will be remembered for many things, some excellent, some grubby. Despite his undoubted tenacity, a spoilling moment after the bounce of the ball had already defined the outcome won't be one of the 'defining moments' that come to mind.

hrundi99

First Grade
I'm not sure I get the love for Sattler's tackle.

It was a good effort but Byrne was no Martin Offiah...

Springs

First Grade
The play of the GF and quite possibly the year was Widdop chasing down reynolds and forcing an error, at this stage its 4-4, dogs streaking downfield, Barba in support, he doesnt make that tackle its 10-4 dogs leading into half-time. We scored off the set after that tackle and then marched down the field again to make it 14-4 on the the stroke of half-time, which happened to be the final result. THAT was a Sattler type play.

Agree with that. Widdop's tackle on Reynolds was amazing.

Slater's play was good, but the bounce was the main factor. For a fullback to be right behind Morris and get a lucky bounce like that, I'd say if he didn't knock it dead he would have choked.

Slater was great the whole game but that part doesn't really stand out.

After watching both again.. I'd put slaters effort ahead of sattlers.. Morris regathers its a try.. slaters speed and timing and outstanding skill spoils the effort of Morris. Bravo billy.. bravo

Maybe if the bounce was good, Morris caught it then Slater caught him and held him up it would be as good a play. But as it is now, the bounce beat Morris, Slater just cleaned up like any fullback would. His speed to get there was helped by the fact Morris twice had to wait for the bouncing ball.

simostorm

Bench
Agree with that. Widdop's tackle on Reynolds was amazing.

Slater's play was good, but the bounce was the main factor. For a fullback to be right behind Morris and get a lucky bounce like that, I'd say if he didn't knock it dead he would have choked.

Slater was great the whole game but that part doesn't really stand out.

Maybe if the bounce was good, Morris caught it then Slater caught him and held him up it would be as good a play. But as it is now, the bounce beat Morris, Slater just cleaned up like any fullback would. His speed to get there was helped by the fact Morris twice had to wait for the bouncing ball.

Billy's spoil was all speed and skill.. no other fullback could have done that.. amazing play from the immortal Slater. Greatest gf moment easy really when you think about it.

First Grade
A. Johns pass to D. Albert best ever Grand Final moment of all time.