What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boyd

Rolla

Juniors
I am wondering if his bonehead chip and chase late against parra was one of his 'oh shit....ummmm.....kick?' plays or a sign of confidence (i'm hoping the latter but prob not). I mean he beat the defence on the outside which takes confidence, it was a pretty audacious play, and it was arrogant (in TSS' words). His big criticism is that he has seemed reserved and conservative, both things that play wasn't.

RABK

Referee
As a blues fan i have no doubt if Boyd attempted that on tackle 1 in Origin he'd probably be able to regather it before it went over the sideline and run 60m for a brilliant 'Origin' try. lol

I had no real qualms in that play, if he directed the kick at a 5% different angle he would have regathered (kind bounce pending) it with only an injured Hayne in pursuit.

perverse

Referee
there is no way to justify that play from Boyd. given the situation the game was in, it was possibly the lowest percentage, and highest risk play you could possibly conceive. it was bad football, schoolboy stuff.

i'm all for sticking up for him, but to claim that play as anything but atrocious is taking it a bit far for mine.

RABK

Referee
That's the thing but Perverse. Sometime in Boyds stint here he'll try that again on tackle 2 or 3 in our own half and produce a try from it and everyone will talk about how it's one of the greatest Knights try of all time but none will say or think "if he kicked that ball at a 5% different angle it would have gone into touch and given the opposition a set in our own half"

I get exactly what you are saying and i do agree but rewatch Glenn Stewart just before half time in the 2011 grand final. That so easily could have resulted in a warriors try, instead it was a brilliant Manly try.

Sometimes the line between class and boneheadness is a matter of inches. Gotta take the shake your head moments with the holy shit moments.

perverse

Referee
it's got nothing to do with the play itself, and everything to do with the scoreboard and the time left on the clock.

hell, if Boyd had done a triple backflip with a mctwist and scored a 10 point try off the play, injuring 5 more Parra players on the way through and blazing fire out of his ringhole in the process, it was still the wrong thing to do with 5 left on the clock, up by 8 points. you complete your set and kick deep to the corner in that situation 11 times out of 10.

i would have had zero drama with the play if we were the ones 8 points down... but expansive play - especially in our own danger zone - is never the right play when your opponent has to score twice in 5 minutes to win the match.

Yosh

Coach
which one of those were on the market last year?

Jeez... I'm opening a can of worms here...

Sandow?

He could have taken alot off pressure off Mullen. Put Sandow next to House or Costigan for protection and he could have went alright.

I'm not a Sandow fan but just using him as someone who was on the market last year...:?

perverse

Referee
... and just as a footnote after all that, i totally accept the good with the bad. it's that kind of audacity that makes great players great. i think it was a very stupid play, but it's that sort of arrogance that will win us footy matches in the future. that part i do agree with.

perverse

Referee
Jeez... I'm opening a can of worms here...

Sandow?

He could have taken alot off pressure off Mullen. Put Sandow next to House or Costigan for protection and he could have went alright.

I'm not a Sandow fan but just using him as someone who was on the market last year...:?
lol, Sandow has been far worse than Boyd for his new club this year, you might wanna have another crack. additionally (and somewhat amazingly), Parra the poor sods are paying more for Sandow than we are for Boyd.

RABK

Referee
Yeh i agree but Boyd is a highly instinct player - hence his great intercepts and huge ability to take the right player whether at fullback or for QLD on the wing. He saw 100m of space with only sio 2 metres infront of him - his footballing instincts overuled his footballing brain for 0.12 of a second.

Take the instinct out of Boyd and you are paying 450k for Shannon McDonnell clone. He won't always get the brain over instinct decision right but i wouldn't be suprised if that play was the worst example of a Boyd brain explosion we'll see over the next four years.

Not a bad place and time to get it out of the way.

Yosh

Coach
Am confident Darius will have a blinder on Friday night. Plenty of reasons for him too. The Dragons naysayers to start with. We need a cocky Darius. When he has a touch of arrogance in his game he is devastating in attack.

That's a great point. He used to be so cocky... He'd think he was king sh*t and run the ball back cutie style but rarely does that now... He needs to get cocky again!

As a blues fan i have no doubt if Boyd attempted that on tackle 1 in Origin he'd probably be able to regather it before it went over the sideline and run 60m for a brilliant 'Origin' try. lol

I had no real qualms in that play, if he directed the kick at a 5% different angle he would have regathered (kind bounce pending) it with only an injured Hayne in pursuit.

I also enjoyed that play. Sure we were up by 8 and what not but he was close to being pushed out and they didn't really have anyone at the back. It was ad lib but brilliant at the same time. Can't wait till one pays off!

Apey

Staff member
I'd describe his performance as average. As in, genuinely average, not a thin veiled insult intended to imply he's shit. Hasn't really lived up to expectations but I don't think where he is lacking is costing us games and/or many points.

He has looked fairly lethargic at the back at times - too casual for my liking. Hopefully as the season progresses he feels more at home in the new team.

All good points on the chip and chase by Boyd on Sunday. If the ball had bounced to the left then there is every possibility we would be calling him a genius right now. We all know what brilliance that seemingly low percentage plays can bring. Ask Darren Albert. I think Darius is getting close to something special. He still seems to be talkative and his defence is solid.

Last edited:

Rolla

Juniors
... and just as a footnote after all that, i totally accept the good with the bad. it's that kind of audacity that makes great players great. i think it was a very stupid play, but it's that sort of arrogance that will win us footy matches in the future. that part i do agree with.

This is the point i was making.... i never said it was the right play (i believe i called it a bonehead play lol).

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Darbs had it good from the get go at Saints and Brisbane.

I think he took that for granted. I mean, his first five years in the NRL he'd won two comps and never been in a team that had struggled.

He's prone to dropping his head from time to time and he's a loner, definitely not a leader.

He'll come good, but only as the team does.

rabble

Juniors
Gotta wonder whether Boyd is playin injured. If anyone is'nt going to see out their contract it will be this guy. Gotta wonder whether B.Scott will see through his contract or even start it.

Fire

First Grade
I thought he had an ordinary 2009 with us, but came good in 2010. Maybe the same thing is happening. Stick with him, don't knock him too much, he'll come good.

jb2

Juniors
I thought he had an ordinary 2009 with us, but came good in 2010. Maybe the same thing is happening. Stick with him, don't knock him too much, he'll come good.

Have to agree with this, he is still finding his way as is the rest of the team really, my expectations of Boyd were for a good solid player, but to expect him to be in the same calibre of Brett Stewart or Matt Bowen ( when he is in full flight ) is probably being a bit unrealistic.

Latest posts