What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brad Tighe: Fraud

Stranger

Coach
Johns Magic said:
Yes...and Tighe is a centre.

You're on the ball aren't you :lol:

Please JM, tell me where i said Tighe does the kick return?:oops:

Stranger said:
His job is to take the first dummy half run after a kick... upon which he runs 30m across field to get his legs chopped for a gain of 1m.

JM said:
That's not his job, he's not a winger is he? If anything he did well to even get there to take pressure off the forwards.

Stranger said:
Wingers job is kick return unless fullback takes it. Great league knowledge there JM :arrow:

:oops: Geez, doesn't look like i said he does kick return ;-)

K-Man

Bench
Stranger said:
Please JM, tell me where i said Tighe does the kick return?:oops:

:oops: Geez, doesn't look like i said he does kick return ;-)

It's not his job to take the first dummy half run after a kick return. That is the job of the winger who is already back there waiting. Your statement made it seem like

a) you thought Tighe was a winger, or
b) you thought as a centre it's his job to be taking the first dummy half run of the set, which it's not

So Tighe getting in there and making those runs and more metres than either winger is just him showing enthusiasm and helping out.

K-Man

Bench
Stranger said:
Tell me scoop, when does a forward get back 40m in time to take the first hit?...

What are you talking about?

The fullback or winger will return the ball from a kick. Then whichever one of those didn't return it, or the other winger, will take the second tackle. Then by this stage some forwards should be getting back on-side, otherwise this is a time when a centre might step in and take a run.

Basically, wingers and fullbacks use up the first 2 plays.

Stranger

Coach
Are you serious? :lol:

In a perfect world maybe. But go watch some games. The centre will more often than not take the first scoot.

voltron

Juniors
Stranger said:
Tell me scoop, when does a forward get back 40m in time to take the first hit?...

btw i saw fitzy from roosters do that this year
i think it may have been against the broncs
inspirational stuff
too bad they cant win

Johns Magic

Referee
voltron said:
i dont know why JM is defending Fraude so much
the fact is, not matter how much potential you might have
he isnt living up to it. he is missing those basics skills that make people great players
like....ball control, being able to defend the line as a team.

that offload he made breaking away from two players to get it off, that was amazing, and i can see a little of what JM is talking about.....
but if thats his potential, he doesnt play like that the whole game
he gets lazy
there is no real improvement in him, in those matters week by week
he just turns up week in week out doing exactly the same thing
and what people are saying is that, that wont cut it, he needs to improve
and unless he does, he should be dropped for someone, who might have the same shortcomings, but is at least going to improve

Tighe defended very well last week. 15 tackles, one miss, no tries down his side. McManus only had to make two tackles all game, which is a reflection on how well Tighe came up in the line to shut down the opposition.

He hasn't lived up to his potential because he's been given sh*tty ball in little space.That run you mention was just about the first time he's had any space at all, and he did something no one else in our team is capable of doing.

In what way is he lazy? Please specify.

Johns Magic

Referee
Stranger said:

In a perfect world maybe. But go watch some games. The centre will more often than not take the first scoot.

Do you not watch when wingers like Grothe, Utai, Quinn, MacDougall, King, Tupou, Rooney, etc. take dummy half-runs?

Think about our wingers in recent years. Quinn, Tahu, MacDougall, Hall...those blokes took mountains of dummy-half runs. Marcus Bai's entire career was based on his ability to truck it up from there.

How often do you see Gasnier take dummy-half returns after a kick? Or Lyon? Gidley? Vagana? Whatuira? I can remember Gidley taking some hitups from first-receiver, but rarely from dummy-half.

One of the back three takes the kick-return, then the other two come in and take the dummy-half darts because they're already back there.

stuke

Bench
Jono078 said:
That would be the only criticism I have, he ran across field way too much, but that can be fixed and it's not exactly too big an issue.

i think you may find it is a bigger issue for the Knights that may struggle to be fixed.

it is a common trait of Brian Smith coached sides.

Parra were reknowned for it. Poor old Luke Burt could run 500 metres in a game but only have made 27 metres forward. Brian seems to like them crabbing across as it gives the forwards a chance to get back...only got to hope that then your forwards run straight! ;-)

Stranger

Coach
Johns Magic said:
Do you not watch when wingers like Grothe, Utai, Quinn, MacDougall, King, Tupou, Rooney, etc. take dummy half-runs?

Think about our wingers in recent years. Quinn, Tahu, MacDougall, Hall...those blokes took mountains of dummy-half runs. Marcus Bai's entire career was based on his ability to truck it up from there.

How often do you see Gasnier take dummy-half returns after a kick? Or Lyon? Gidley? Vagana? Whatuira? I can remember Gidley taking some hitups from first-receiver, but rarely from dummy-half.

One of the back three takes the kick-return, then the other two come in and take the dummy-half darts because they're already back there.
You see centres quite often get through a mountain of Dummy Half work. Especially when you have lazy forwards. Look at our Centres over the years. Giggles did a fair few of them. Carmont did a sh*t load.

K-Man

Bench
Stranger said:

I think you might be well and truly outnumbered on that call :lol:

I've seen a lot of rugby league matches, and I really can't be bothered to keep debating this point when you are so clearly wrong

Stranger

Coach
I don't think so. Check and see when Tighe or Mad Dog handled the ball in the game on the weekend. Ill put my neck out and say 80% of the time it would have been from dummy half.

CJKnight

Juniors
We are missing that link with the backs IMO. Abes has a very acurate passing game but seems to prefer running the ball to the line on most occasions. So Mullen is left to attempt running the ball on the 5th to bring our starving backs into the game. at least, that's the way I see it...

Johns Magic

Referee
Stranger said:
I don't think so. Check and see when Tighe or Mad Dog handled the ball in the game on the weekend. Ill put my neck out and say 80% of the time it would have been from dummy half.

That wouldn't prove anything???

Yosh

Coach
Who cares about the centre taking the ball up from dummy half and what not. What is important is that Tighe is a good centre, and will only get better. He is better then Carmont by a country mile atm, and will improve to outgun Gaz and take over the helm as the greatest centre in the modern era. Then the NRL will replace the name of the position 'centre three quater' to 'Tighe three quater' to honor the position in his name.

Its simple. Tighe is good enough to hold his own in first grade. He is no Hodges or Gaz but he is as good as alot of other centres out there.

Whats Doing

Bench
Tighe's performance was a big improvement from his previous performances and I think it is more a confidence thing with him. His appears to be gaining more confidence and will further develop. I think anyone's confidence would have taking a battering with how Hagan had treated him last year.

Some other players observations:
McManus - Can count on a critical mistake in each game. - Its an experience thing but is a killer at the moment.
Polglase - Honest footballer at best but really not a regular first grader
Abraham - Not a 5/8 amd haven't seen any great form for 2 or more years. Haven't seen the stats but I don't think his work rate is that high
Mullen - Only young but needs to learn quickly on how to mount pressure. His youth and inexperioence against the Broncs really showed how much he needs to learn on how to develop and build the pressure on the opposition.
Tolar - Has improved immensely
White - Same as Tolar
Patterson - Some of his skills have been amazing but doesn't get anywhere near involved in the tough stuff. Work rate not high.
Reynoldson - Only 1 more year after this to go.

Gene Krupa

Referee
Yosh said:
Who cares about the centre taking the ball up from dummy half and what not. What is important is that Tighe is a good centre, and will only get better. He is better then Carmont by a country mile atm, and will improve to outgun Gaz and take over the helm as the greatest centre in the modern era. Then the NRL will replace the name of the position 'centre three quater' to 'Tighe three quater' to honor the position in his name.

Its simple. Tighe is good enough to hold his own in first grade. He is no Hodges or Gaz but he is as good as alot of other centres out there.

I know you're taking the piss (atleast I hope you are). But seriously, Fraud has had his chance. Again, I ask the question, how many chances does he get. People call for players heads after 1 bad game, for gods sake, people call for Perry and Wooly to be sacked after the Souths game and they were two of the best on the field, yet we have to give Mr Crybaby unlimited opportunities when in 6 games, the improvement is incremental, no exponential. By round 19 2009, he'll be almost as good as the Knight Ryder? :roll:

I've heard alot complain about the performances of the halves and the forwards as being mediocre, yet people defend the abysmal form and performance of Fraud. You can't have it both ways.

Latest posts