What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

Canard

Immortal
There are lots of Leagues Clubs in QLD, the are just as cashed up as Brisbane Easts.

Having a successful pokie den, is hardly some unique situation

If we are talking financial power, then the Tigers are the bid to go with. The only thing that concerns me, is that it's the Western Corridor that needs covering, not inner Brisbane. Can the Tigers rebrand in a way that can connect with the South-West, with Ipswich and with Toowoomba? I don't know, but I think they'll have to angle their bid in that direction.

What do you reckon?

Logan is part of the Western corridor. Tigers have a footprint in Rochedale South, Springwood, Flagstone and Yarrabilba.

Toowoomba is too far from Ipswich. It now has representation in the Queensland Cup.

Ipswich is probably best left to the Broncos.

I reckon you're both a pair of hypocrites who'd be screaming bloody murder if this discussion was about teams in Sydney instead of Brisbane.

It's ok when we do it basically sums up Qld RL at the moment.

So you're comparing a 3rd team in Brisbane with a 10th in Sydney?

Do you not see the error in your comparison?

A 10th team in Sydney would be similar to a 5th in Brisbane. No one is advocating for a 5th team in Brisbane.

A 3rd team in Brisbane is equivalent to six in Sydney.

Pneuma

First Grade
Logan is part of the Western corridor. Tigers have a footprint in Rochedale South, Springwood, Flagstone and Yarrabilba.

Toowoomba is too far from Ipswich. It now has representation in the Queensland Cup.

Ipswich is probably best left to the Broncos.

A 10th team in Sydney would be similar to a 5th in Brisbane. No one is advocating for a 5th team in Brisbane.

Potato

The Great Dane

First Grade

Nope.

I'm comparing short sighted and entitled people, from the two most RL rich markets in the world, pushing for superfluous suburban clubs out of a misguided sense of tradition, at the expense of genuine growth.

The only difference between you and Tito and the sort of Sydney fan I'm talking about, is that you and Tito think the competition should be dominated by suburban Brisbane clubs and they think the competition should be dominated by suburban Sydney clubs.

What all of you desire already exists; the NSW and Qld Cup. So how about you lot go watch that and leave the NRL to develop into what it would already be if it wasn't for people that think like you holding positions of power in this sport for 100 years; a truly national competition designed for a national audience.

Wb1234

Referee
Nope.

I'm comparing short sighted and entitled people, from the two most RL rich markets in the world, pushing for superfluous suburban clubs out of a misguided sense of tradition, at the expense of genuine growth.

The only difference between you and Tito and the sort of Sydney fan I'm talking about, is that you and Tito think the competition should be dominated by suburban Brisbane clubs and they think the competition should be dominated by suburban Sydney clubs.

What all of you desire already exists; the NSW and Qld Cup. So how about you lot go watch that and leave the NRL to develop into what it would already be if it wasn't for people that think like you holding positions of power in this sport for 100 years; a truly national competition designed for a national audience.
And rugby league played in China

Wb1234

Referee
And as likely to succeed as nrl in China!
nrl, clues in the name. Mind you it would have been more apt to name it SRL - suburban rugby league the way expansion has gone lol
They never tried to play in China it was just bs

dane has never been the same person when he realised John ribot lied to him

Nope.

I fail to see how fielding a third team in Brisbane is remotely the same as Sydney holding nine licences in a competition that only had 16 teams until this year. At the end of the day it's an apples versus oranges comparison.

If the 18th licence were awarded to Brisbane 3 then one in six of the teams (16%) would be from the second largest and most parochial rugby league city on the planet. Fifty per cent of the teams would still be from Sydney.

Not exactly equal, is it?

Even if you factor in population it still isn't equal. Brisbane would need to hold 25% of all licences to be in the same position as Sydney. When 25% of all NRL licences are held by teams from Brisbane then you will have a valid argument.

You cannot expect people from the only major cities in Australia that care about rugby league to give up their history and tradition for the sake of expansion. Whether you like it or not, rugby league in Australia is Brisbane/Queensland and Sydney/NSW. The three Origin games draw more interest from people in Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth than the NRL does. The the mighty Storm have had a dream run for 25 years, yet Origin is still the main attraction in Melbourne.

I'm told to "suck it up" and accept that Sydney's teams aren't going anywhere. It looks like the people saying that will need to practice what they preach because it's inevitable that Brisbane will get a third team at some stage.

Perth is a very realistic candidate for expansion. Adelaide is not. That's not short-sightedness. It's just a fair summation of the landscape. If the game goes down the predicted path of adding Brisbane 3, NZ 2 and Perth then it will have successfully expanded its footprint into two major fumbleball cities (Melbourne and Perth), one regional fumbleball city (Canberra) and two rugby union cities in New Zealand.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I fail to see how fielding a third team in Brisbane is remotely the same as Sydney holding nine licences in a competition that only had 16 teams until this year. At the end of the day it's an apples versus oranges comparison.

If the 18th licence were awarded to Brisbane 3 then one in six of the teams (16%) would be from the second largest and most parochial rugby league city on the planet. Fifty per cent of the teams would still be from Sydney.

Not exactly equal, is it?

Even if you factor in population it still isn't equal. Brisbane would need to hold 25% of all licences to be in the same position as Sydney. When 25% of all NRL licences are held by teams from Brisbane then you will have a valid argument.

You cannot expect people from the only major cities in Australia that care about rugby league to give up their history and tradition for the sake of expansion. Whether you like it or not, rugby league in Australia is Brisbane/Queensland and Sydney/NSW. The three Origin games draw more interest from people in Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth than the NRL does. The the mighty Storm have had a dream run for 25 years, yet Origin is still the main attraction in Melbourne.

I'm told to "suck it up" and accept that Sydney's teams aren't going anywhere. It looks like the people saying that will need to practice what they preach because it's inevitable that Brisbane will get a third team at some stage.

Perth is a very realistic candidate for expansion. Adelaide is not. That's not short-sightedness. It's just a fair summation of the landscape. If the game goes down the predicted path of adding Brisbane 3, NZ 2 and Perth then it will have successfully expanded its footprint into two major fumbleball cities (Melbourne and Perth), one regional fumbleball city (Canberra) and two rugby union cities in New Zealand.
It’s not about numbers, it’s about mentality. Whilst other sports around the world tend to do well with one or two top,tier clubs in big cities nrl fans seem to think there needs to be a club representing each suburb or people won’t be interested in following the competition. It seems a very Australian mentality.

2 clubs in a city the size of brisbane should be enough to capture any existing or future rugby league fans attention. No need to burn another license, especially so soon, whilst we have other cities with no opportunity.

It’s not about numbers, it’s about mentality. Whilst other sports around the world tend to do well with one or two top,tier clubs in big cities nrl fans seem to think there needs to be a club representing each suburb or people won’t be interested in following the competition. It seems a very Australian mentality.

2 clubs in a city the size of brisbane should be enough to capture any existing or future rugby league fans attention. No need to burn another license, especially so soon, whilst we have other cities with no opportunity.

I wouldn't say it's an Australian mentality. Pretty much all of the RFL's professional clubs are based in Yorkshire and Lancashire. They're far smaller and more insular than anyone in the NRL.

The Redcliffe Dolphins are already bigger, richer and better supported than any RFL club.

The only realistic options for expansion in Australia are Brisbane 3 and Perth. Adelaide is light years away from being in contention for a licence. Melbourne 2 has no chance. If there was a bet on who will get the 18th licence, the best odds would be on Brisbane 3 and Perth.

The history and tradition of the BRL clubs and the role they played in shaping rugby league in Australia warrants a third team in Brisbane at some stage.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wouldn't say it's an Australian mentality. Pretty much all of the RFL's professional clubs are based in Yorkshire and Lancashire. They're far smaller and more insular than anyone in the NRL.

The Redcliffe Dolphins are already bigger, richer and better supported than any RFL club.

The only realistic options for expansion in Australia are Brisbane 3 and Perth. Adelaide is light years away from being in contention for a licence. Melbourne 2 has no chance. If there was a bet on who will get the 18th licence, the best odds would be on Brisbane 3 and Perth.
Different scenarios, the English clubs are in competition that isn’t a license system. If you were starting SL now you wouldn’t be adding clubs in many of those small towns in reality. And you certainly would t be adding three clubs in say Leeds or Manchester. Or even two in my home city of hull.

no one is saying easts wouldn’t be a succesful club, let’s be honest if you’ve Gita big pokie den then you‘ll do ok in the nrl. But just brisbane they could doesn’t mean they should.

The big question you’re not grasping is does Brisbane NEED a third club when we have other cities with great potential have zero clubs?

Why does this forum have three Raiders supporters trying to undermine the history of rugby league in Brisbane?

The irony is the Raiders were a worthless basketcase until they raided the Souths Magpies in the 1980s. They haven't won a premiership since the BRL was killed off. They make bugger all money from football operations and rely on pokies in Queensland to stay afloat. The ground they play out of is a dump and Canberra isn't even a rugby league city. If the game were to expand into all five metro areas then it will probably come at the expense of Canberra.

I think the real reason Raiders fans oppose Brisbane 3 is they fear it will make life tougher for their club. They already get f**k all games on Ch9. A third team from Brisbane will lead to fewer Raiders games on FTA.

The broadcasters would say a third Brisbane team is better for their bottom line. Having more games featuring teams from Brisbane and Sydney keep the viewing numbers strong for Ch9 and Foxtel.

Foxtel have had a few "Super Saturdays" featuring a Queensland team in all three time slots. A third Brisbane team allows Foxtel to retain this and allow Ch9 to have a Queensland team play in two of their three games.

Most of the game's revenue is provided by the broadcasters.

Canard

Immortal
Why does this forum have three Raiders supporters trying to undermine the history of rugby league in Brisbane?

The irony is the Raiders were a worthless basketcase until they raided the Souths Magpies in the 1980s. They haven't won a premiership since the BRL was killed off. They make bugger all money from football operations and rely on pokies in Queensland to stay afloat. The ground they play out of is a dump and Canberra isn't even a rugby league city. If the game were to expand into all five metro areas then it will probably come at the expense of Canberra.

I think the real reason Raiders fans oppose Brisbane 3 is they fear it will make life tougher for their club. They already get f**k all games on Ch9. A third team from Brisbane will lead to fewer Raiders games on FTA.

Now you're just being a f**king idiot.