What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bugs/Errors Thread

Arnie

Juniors
sorry if someone has mentioned these things before but i only had a chance to quickly skim the many pages of bugs you guys have found already, but here are two quick ones that stuck in my mind cause they were kinda funny:

(1) when one of my players got injured he ended up sitting on the field around the 30 metre line for the entire match...where's the trainer?? hehe

(2) another time one of my players was stuck in one spot running sideways for a few minutes...i think he may have been one of my players sent to the sin bin or something and he went to run off but got a little stuck...then again, might not be the sin bin guy cause later on in the match he was no longer stuck, i think it was when i was going for a touch finder when i got a penalty and he lined up with the rest of his team mates

NPK

Bench
A minor funny thing - Tallis got spear tackled and got injured...and he got injured, but curiously it was his knee, not his head/neck that he was holding in the injury scene.

Pantherjim.

Referee
carlnz said:
gee you guys are picky.......the game is better than what we had before.....so what its not perfect, when they make another one they will iron out all the problems....the game will never be as good as the real thing, and i think the guys who made it did a bloody good job.. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: #-o #-o #-o #-o

Hey, I think my Criticism is fair.... It's a bug that needs to be fixed!! After all, how are you supposed to play the game if the program doesn't initiate ball retrieval after it gets kicked into the crowd and the players all stand around like idiots until full time??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pantherjim.

nrl_panthers.gif
piss.gif
nrl_roosters.gif

Docking

Juniors
On PC,

This is a new one, that I discovered by accident.

If you load the the game up but don't start playing any matches, and the Ctrl + Alt + Del to minimize the game, when you click on the game in the taskbar again, it disappears.
However, if you load the game up, start an actual match (you only need to wait till the first kickoff is about to take place, then you Exit Match), you can minimize as much as you like and the game keeps running. :?
Other titles (Madden series for example) have no problem with being minimized and restored from the task bar.

These ones have already been mentioned, but I'll mention them as well to lend more weight to getting them fixed.
- Players who are injured or sent off occasionally stay on the field in a 'frozen like' state.
- Sometimes a player will be frozen to the spot continually running on the same spot. He cannot be controlled. If by chance a play the ball occurs near him, the game will effectively be uncontrollable as the computer is expecting the frozen player to go into dummy half.

Despite all this, I think this one of the best sports games ever, certainly the best league simulation ever. :clap:

Iafeta

Referee
umosay said:
ripper73 said:
Ive never seen a scrum go against the head in League

warriors v knights 2002, i think hohaia fed and knights won it, scored and prob cost the warriors the match

I think it was Jones, in 2003. Buderus beat Marsh to the ball. PJ was most liverred.

I've seen the Warriors a couple of times in desperate measures push teams off the ball back in the days of ineptism and bankruptcy.

I can't understand why in desperate circumstances the big boppers on some sides don't try to get it on - namely guys like John Buttigieg.

Anywho, bugs/problems.

* Winger/prop on sideline. Should be more correct formation. I like the Rugby 2003 idea where you set whether you want to play a forward dominated game or a back dominated game. Therefore, if you go forward, you'll more than likely have Jerry Collins charging onto the ball from a short pass off the ruck. If you go backs, the backs will be set deep for plays in motion. That is a good, good idea - you could interchange it in league, go for a more forward orientated game and get the hit ups, or take the chances, get the halves to spread it wide. There's no logics in the structure, if its last tackle, your dummy half should seek out a half, sometimes they go for a prop. I know you have control of your passes, but sometimes the halves are sitting on the sidelines even on the last tackle. Also, your hooker should be the player who gets into dummy half most. Often its a winger.

* Statistics. Appalling. I went a half deliberately trying to gain hit ups. What happens? Half time, not one hit up to the team. Four tackles from Henry Fa'afili tops the count, and the other team mainly were going down the middle. HENRY'S A WINGER!

* Rosters/players. Okay, I thought, well, lets bring in Tony Martin to boot us some goals. According to the game he's the same level as Stacey Jones. Are you kidding me?!!! The bloke is 80% plus - managed 29 in a row not long ago. Also doesn't wear his trademark head gear. Another problem with this is, one night I thought I'd pull out the Big League and change all the teams to 2004 rosters. What do I get? Every single player after one thats been taken out out of position - I had Webcke playing halfback as Ben Ikin wasn't around anymore, yet Motu Tony sat on his clacker. Stupid!

* Far too many sin-binnings send offs. It should be a rarity. Sometimes I'm not even going for an aggressive tackle, and a player out of my control will go for a coathanger. Also, fix up Steve Clark on that issue. Every player is met with a "Oi you, come on over we'll have a chat." "Okay, sent off." Even if he's going to the bin. There is a damn difference!!

* Forwards on the back foot. As we know they don't often possess the world's best acceleration, but if I want to spread it wide, for the Warriors, a long pass usually ends up in the hands of Awen Guttenbeil who is not waiting for it at all, despite it being a 20 metre pass to gear up for!

* If I give away a penalty, and the opponents go for a tap, a lot of the time play restarts where I had my players. IE, I can have humungous gaps. Surely the AI should reallign my players. Another one is if say an opponent gets injured and has to immediately leave the field, the game starts unexpectadly straight away and its impossible to number up.

* Crowds are shoddy. Where's the big flags? All I see is 30 centre metre heads clapping all day long. Every tunnel is the same where the players come from. Firstly, teams in the NRL generally don't come out together holding hands. In the game they do.

* The halfback can run straight through a scrum. Even I would think there's a road block here.

* The drop out syndrome, banging it into your own posts.

* If one of my players annihilates an opponent with a big tackle spilling the ball free, hardly ever is it a knock on, even though clearly the ball rolls forward. And while we're reliving the moment with the highlights, the opponent will pick the ball up and race 80 metres for a try. Wierd!

Just a few problems :roll:

Crippler

Juniors
I did a dropout that went out on the full but instead of the other team getting a penalty they received a scrum 10 metres out.

NPK

Bench
A weird thing just happened..
I was playing as the Broncos against the Warriors and I kicked the ball dead in goal (the sideline of the ingoal, just behind the corner flag). The Warriors should have obviously got possession from that but the ball stayed on the ground in the corner of the field, with 2 Warriors players standing over it but not picking it up..the ref was there too..I tried pressing sprint to get one of my players to pick it up or something, and Carlaw finally emerged on screen but he couldn't do anything - I just had him running around in circles, fending mid-air (that looked really funny by the way..he couldn't sidestep though) . Vossy was still commentating occasionally ("they're right on the line now" etc) and the clock ticked down to fulltime and the siren sounded but nothing happened. :(

NPK

Bench
Another thing that had me puzzled last night.
I was playing the 2003 season, round 25 (not finals) and at the end of the game, the scores were level. I of course expected it to be a draw, because it is not a finals game and can end in a draw, but extra time came up, I scored a try and the game ended and I won. Weird.

bulldog

Bench
and unfortunately I have more . Ref called fifth tackle while Matt Utai was still on his feet struggling to get free , another player jumped in to complete the tackle and smashed him , they tumbled to the ground rolling over a few times and the ref calls a handover . I've been watching the tackle counts since then and it happens pretty often in the right circumstances . Also in multiplayer games playing on the same team , just prior to the computer performing certain tackle animations the other human controlled players will freeze momentarily , very annoying when the oppposition scores and 2 of the 3 human players on one side do not get a shot in defence .

kuertee

Juniors
here are bugs that no one else seems to have picked up:

when you put up a bomb/chip kick (and i assume grubber kick) on the last tackle and regather, the ref calls for an automatic handover. he doesn't wait for any tackle to be effected nor a tackle was ever attempted on the player. this has happened several times already.

"locked" markers? why is it that the markers are always locked from player control for a second immediately after the play-the-ball? CPU markers seems to be able to "scoot" from dummy-half while my dummies seem to have no such skill.

and here's another one that may/may not be a bug:

as soon as my team gets ranked 1st, the next game seems to be geared to be impossible to win in. my real complaint here is with the controls. on defense, the player i switch to tend to run in a random direction first before he follows my joystick commands. on attack, my player seems to be slower (i assume lag with the sprint button). maybe the game has some sort of "catch-up" logic.

and here's an observation that may be valid/invalid:

are offsides and forward passes randomly generated (ie. on a ref's whim)? i understand how some aspects (eg. knock-ons, ball popping out from a hard tackle, etc.) of the game are utimately determined by random numbers that are adjusted by certain factors (eg. skill-level, passing agility, tackling skill, etc.). but these two seems to happen "more randomly" than other "incidents".

how can a game be played in a competitive spirit (eg. against a mate) if it is controlled by many randomly generated numbers instead of the player's skill at the game?

it seems that the bugs become more apparent when playing at the more difficult levels.

like a tiger! like a tiger! ROAR!

[furrycat]

Coach
NPK said:
Another thing that had me puzzled last night.
I was playing the 2003 season, round 25 (not finals) and at the end of the game, the scores were level. I of course expected it to be a draw, because it is not a finals game and can end in a draw, but extra time came up, I scored a try and the game ended and I won. Weird.

Wow do you watch league much buddy? It is called the GOLDEN POINT. In all regular games, it goes to extra time (like in the real NRL :p)... Finals games are just unlimited Extra Time until someone scores a point. Regular season matches are just two halves of Extra Time. That's not a bug.

NPK

Bench
There is an error in there somewhere because I have had draws in competition mode without having extra time.

PB

Bench
I have read most pages and i have noticed the problems mentioned by most of you so i won't repeat them.

Some probs/observations i have noticed:

I cant get any of the stats to work. DO you have to unlock them or is it just a stuff up with my disc?

Is Andrew Johns the only person in the comp with a nick name? "Joey Johns" he is called. They dont even have a name for the Parramatta halfback Witt who has played 19 NRL games!

Its good that it has players vitals (all be it many of them are inaccurate because they are based on if they had been injured when they created the game). But what is the point of having these vitals, if you can not tell if a player is tiring during the game?!, if you could pause and look at your team list, and see your players fitness was getting low, then change him, it would make sense.

last comp i played, Parra v Penrith was the final round game and was played infront of a big crowd. The same teams met in the GF, and the Stadium was empty!?

Overall i was so excited to get this game at christmas, but if it goes for the same price as EA Sports games, they are kidding! You only have to look at Madden 2004 to realise how enjoyable a real football game can be. Infact madden 98 was better than this game.

Very disapointing.
4/10

Eels Dude

Coach
Not really bugs, but aspects of the game I find annoying.

*If you throw a cutout pass from dummy half, the recieving player just stands there instead of running onto it.
*Too easy to hold up, and be help up in goal
*AI teams almost always kick for touch instead of kicking a penalty goal
*Too many handovers, not enough kicks on the last for AI teams
*My 5'8th always seems to play on the wing
*My winger seems to always be at dummy half
*Statistics are great, but for some I always end up with only a few hitups at then end of a match, even though i've made much more.

Overall though, the game is great and these minor problems don't take away from exciting play.

NPK

Bench
I just played a of SOO series and scored a couple of dubious tries

The first was when Berrigan ran from a scrum and dived for the line too early and didn't make the line, but he still got a try - the replay shows he clearly dived short of the line.

The second was when Bowen made a break and ran over the sideline, then came back infield and scored a try. The replay again showed his foot clearly over the sideline.

Is the ref programmed to make errors in the game or are these just programming errors?

NPK

Bench
Just heard a mistake in the commentary - playing as Australia against the Kiwis, I tackled Jones high, and Vossy said "That tackle was around the shoulders of Wiki" (or something very similar)

syphon

Juniors
geez, i was considering buying this for Xbox but i dont know if $98 is worth paying for such a bug ridden game. I read a review about there not being a lot of money been spent on development but didnt think they'd cut so many corners. I have a mate who is going to buy it for PS2 but might direct him to this page before he spends his hard earned.

Goleel

Juniors
I'd play the game yourself and see how these bugs affect you before just writing it off, because a heck of a lot of people still find this game a lot of fun, even if it does have some flaws.

NPK

Bench
a minor one - just noticed when a player kicks for touch from a penalty he only holds the ball with 1 hand when he kicks it - they must be showing off! 8)

Latest posts