What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap disaster: Eels have no room to rebuild

eel01s

Bench
Actually this article reminds me of what happens when a new government is elected and then start to abandon their promises because "the books are worse than we thought".

I think the push is now on to get rid of Cayless, especially due to the line regarding his back loaded contract and how we will struggle to retain the younger props.

Gronk

Staff member
Gronk, i'm certainly not big noting myself nor do I have the pleasure of telling you that I told you so, but can you now understand where I was coming from with my critisism of Andrew Hill and others in the past??

Most clubs have a retention/recruitment committee and I guess the coach has the final say on appointments. If Hill is part of the thought process (as opposed to the paperwork side of things) then yes he should share the blame.

Well lowrie is off contract so there's 180k available.

Cayless, Ben Smith, Robson, Kingston should be given the green light to look elsewhere.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Only makes it more important to expose the likes of Marty Lewis, Tim Robinson, Jeremy Latimore, James Grehan, Jono Wright and Greg Nuchols to first grade over the coming months. Provided we even have the cash to keep any of them.

Marty Lewis will be at another club next year, don't be surprised if the others mentioned will be elsewhere also..

I think Tim Robinson could be under contract though.

eel01s

Bench
Gronk, i'm certainly not big noting myself nor do I have the pleasure of telling you that I told you so, but can you now understand where I was coming from with my critisism of Andrew Hill and others in the past??

I can certainly understand - you have been proved correct Stagger.

Marty Lewis will be at another club next year, don't be surprised if the others mentioned will be elsewhere also..

Wow news just gets worse and worse.

Which Club is Lewis going too? Obviously Anderson believes the Dynamic Lowrie is has better potential.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Most clubs have a retention/recruitment committee and I guess the coach has the final say on appointments. If Hill is part of the thought process (as opposed to the paperwork side of things) then yes he should share the blame.

well that was definitely Hills role...

the Hill/Hagan combo made the Smith/Zappia combo look like Alex Fergurson...:lol:

The Colonel

Immortal

Seems our current coach may suffer from having Wentworthville up the road as well. To overlook some of these kids for Cordoba, Lowrie and Hauraki defies belief.

As next years Top 25 looks to be little different to this year you would have hoped that some of the younger players would have been given a go. Developing them for other clubs is such a waste of time.

Gronk

Staff member
Seems our current coach may suffer from having Wentworthville up the road as well.

As next years Top 25 looks to be little different to this year you would have hoped that some of the younger players would have been given a go. Developing them for other clubs is such a waste of time.

Agree. Wenty seems to be a waste of money and player resources. Bring them back to the Stadium under the Eels umbrella or cut the cord in 2010.

born an eel

Bench
Actually this article reminds me of what happens when a new government is elected and then start to abandon their promises because "the books are worse than we thought".

I think the push is now on to get rid of Cayless, especially due to the line regarding his back loaded contract and how we will struggle to retain the younger props.
Let me start by stating that I do not believe Cayless should be forced out of the club as I think he should be one of the first 2 props picked each week and if our game plan was improved he would get more metres.

He signed a contract in good faith and we should honour that. A back ended contract is put in place when you are short of room in the early stages of the contract so off-set this by paying more in the back end of it. You can not turn around after under paying him initially and decide that you are not meeting your end of the contract when it suits you.

Contracts of this nature need to be look at as an average over the life of the contract to be able to judge them fairly.

eel01s

Bench
Seems our current coach may suffer from having Wentworthville up the road as well. To overlook some of these kids for Cordoba, Lowrie and Hauraki defies belief.
quote]

Interesting you say that Colonel.

Whay can't both squads train at the same location, so the head coach can see how the Wenty guys are going?

Does Rip talk to DA? What is their relationship like?

Pazza

First Grade
i'd hate to think what kind of contracts players like Tautai, Cordoba, Lowrie, B Smith, Weller are on! FMD

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I take it the club wouldnt have the money to payout some of the underperforming players in order to release them early?