What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap disaster: Eels have no room to rebuild

spiderdan

Bench
if the main dot point of that article is true then i guess we really need to get some of those sponsors committed to the club asap that our new board said were waiting in the wings. one of the things we need are big corporate partners that can be signed to top up contracts with 3rd party payments.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'm still trying to work this one out.

We tied up Anthony Mitchell so the Cowboys couldn't take him home however that deal may finish this year so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that now we have developed him (and signed him on a deal that required him to be listed in our Top 25) to let him go elsewhere.

We have Matt Keating signed to a new contract and Anderson was the instigator behind Kingston coming to the club. Throw in Galati on a two or three year junior deal signed last year and we have some decent young hookers in the club.

Depth I can understand but Peters has played a handful of games over three years at Penrith behind Priddis, Aiton and now Iosefa.

Perhaps it's an indication that Mitchell and Kingston won't be with us next year? Given the salary cap restraints it wouldn't really come as a shock...

We are struggling for any real quality in the forwards so any young player who even shows an ounce of quality is being let go.

Really, not much has changed from what Hagan was doing - regardless of the position he has left us in.

I think it's because of the position Hagan has left us in, rather than regardless of it. We've got a bunch of juniors who have played at best one or two good games and were then signed to 6 figure deals, we've got the likes of Hayne and Inu being paid a lot more than they're probably worth just so Hagan could lock them up, and we've got fringe players like Lowrie and Benny Smith who are also on upwards of 6 figures. Add to that the lingering effects of an incredibly ill thought out back ended 400k (or thereabouts) deal for Nathan Cayless and any upgrades written in contracts for next season, and Anderson really doesn't have a lot of money to sign guys like Robinson, Lewis etc up sadly

Gronk

Staff member
Finch actually or potentially cost himself a sh*tload of money with what he did, Caylo is on a sh*tload more and has more to lose..

that's why it WON'T happen...

Agree. Caylo won't be going anywhere soon. He needs cash to pay for the palace he just bought in West Pennant Hills.

eel01s

Bench

We tied up Anthony Mitchell so the Cowboys couldn't take him home however that deal may finish this year so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that now we have developed him (and signed him on a deal that required him to be listed in our Top 25) to let him go elsewhere.

We have Matt Keating signed to a new contract and Anderson was the instigator behind Kingston coming to the club. Throw in Galati on a two or three year junior deal signed last year and we have some decent young hookers in the club.

Depth I can understand but Peters has played a handful of games over three years at Penrith behind Priddis, Aiton and now Iosefa.

We are struggling for any real quality in the forwards so any young player who even shows an ounce of quality is being let go.

Really, not much has changed from what Hagan was doing - regardless of the position he has left us in.

Mate we are all struggling to understand this.

100% agree with your post.

I don't mind if we have to grin and bear this mess for the next couple of seasons, but I will be damned if I can accept losing many of these youngsters with "potential" without having given them a go, or worse still, to sign nobodies from other clubs that are clearly not going to achieve anything in the game.

If the likes of Mitchell were worth keeping last year, why not again this year? Surely keeping the U20's and certain Wenty players doesn't affect the NRL cap??

HevyDevy

Coach
Actually, in regards to Peters, they're waiting for him to string a few games together before making a decision on him, but yes they are looking.

The Colonel

Immortal
Perhaps it's an indication that Mitchell and Kingston won't be with us next year? Given the salary cap restraints it wouldn't really come as a shock...

I think it's because of the position Hagan has left us in, rather than regardless of it. We've got a bunch of juniors who have played at best one or two good games and were then signed to 6 figure deals, we've got the likes of Hayne and Inu being paid a lot more than they're probably worth just so Hagan could lock them up, and we've got fringe players like Lowrie and Benny Smith who are also on upwards of 6 figures. Add to that the lingering effects of an incredibly ill thought out back ended 400k (or thereabouts) deal for Nathan Cayless and any upgrades written in contracts for next season, and Anderson really doesn't have a lot of money to sign guys like Robinson, Lewis etc up sadly

If reports of what Lowrie and Cordoba are on are true though we should have more than enough to re-sign the likes of Lewis and Grehan and still have cash left over.

It just sounds to me that they have accepted the fact we can't be active in the market and will re-sign these players instead of giving younger talent a go.

Avenger

Immortal

Matt Keating, Daniel Mortimer, Joel Reddy and Mitch Allgood are the only players that Anderson has had sole recruitment/retention decisons on. Perhaps he just does not rate any of the players that you have mentioned. From what I have read on the forums none of the players that you have mentioned have showed any type of form

Bazal

Post Whore
If the likes of Mitchell were worth keeping last year, why not again this year? Surely keeping the U20's and certain Wenty players doesn't affect the NRL cap??

I'm not sure if he's off contract, but Mitchell is in the top 25, and so counts towards the cap. I really think we may have painted ourselves into a corner with Mitchell, now that I'm thinking about it more. Basically by putting him in our top 25 as a way of keeping him as we did a few years back, we essentially have to keep him in the top 25 to keep hold of him. I can't see him staying on just an NYC/Wenty deal personally when he can get top 25 (even as a back up) at another club...and it sounds as though we may not have the money to even offer him that

The Colonel

Immortal
Actually, in regards to Peters, they're waiting for him to string a few games together before making a decision on him, but yes they are looking.

First grade games?

If they are waiting for him to string them together they may have to wait a while.

10 games in three years and hasn't played one this year. :roll:

Avenger

Immortal
The last I heard we are still favourites to get Poore if he chooses to leave the Dragons.

Bazal

Post Whore
If reports of what Lowrie and Cordoba are on are true though we should have more than enough to re-sign the likes of Lewis and Grehan and still have cash left over.

Perhaps not...to me personally, the fact that the article specifically mentioned Cayless' back ended deal seems to indicate that it might upgrade again next season. Add to that any other upgrades that are usually written into several contracts and that money doesn't come out at much...

The Colonel

Immortal
Matt Keating, Daniel Mortimer, Joel Reddy and Mitch Allgood are the only players that Anderson has had sole recruitment/retention decisons on. Perhaps he just does not rate any of the players that you have mentioned. From what I have read on the forums none of the players that you have mentioned have showed any type of form

Neither have any of the players we have been linked to nor the ones we seem to be keeping.

Including the weekend the Wenty side have lost two games so regardless of the scoreline on the weekend there has to be some sort of form involved.

If they are leaving though, good luck to them. They've never been given a fair go here this year or last.