What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap disaster: Eels have no room to rebuild

mickdo

Coach
Let me start by stating that I do not believe Cayless should be forced out of the club as I think he should be one of the first 2 props picked each week and if our game plan was improved he would get more metres.

He signed a contract in good faith and we should honour that. A back ended contract is put in place when you are short of room in the early stages of the contract so off-set this by paying more in the back end of it. You can not turn around after under paying him initially and decide that you are not meeting your end of the contract when it suits you.

Contracts of this nature need to be look at as an average over the life of the contract to be able to judge them fairly.

Players don't honour contracts half the time, so why should clubs? He is just not worth the money.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Players don't honour contracts half the time, so why should clubs? He is just not worth the money.

so you suppose we just tell him to fo away and we'll quietly tear up his contract and hope he doesn't notice it???

Bazal

Post Whore
Well lowrie is off contract so there's 180k available.

Cayless, Ben Smith, Robson, Kingston should be given the green light to look elsewhere.

The problem is that I don't see how we can offload a guy like Cayless, given his average form and the fact that he's on such a big deal. I personally can't see anyone else taking more than about 150k or so of his deal, meaning we'd still be paying around 250k of it. The only option is to shop him to ESL clubs, and that essentially relies on him accepting a release. I'd still try, obviously...but it's unlikely to be the magical fix that people seem to think it will be.

On top of that the other guys mentioned are on peanuts when you put them together, because I think Robson and Kingston are essentially on match payments...

IMO Anderson needs to focus more on shopping around guys like Oake, Cordoba, Smith, and Hauraki if possible...they're guys who I feel are more likely to have their contracts bought out, given they are young and at least have potential. That could (reportedly anyway) free up a good 600k, which can get us a pretty first grader like Poore and 3 or 4 other solid guys as well

The Colonel

Immortal
Agree. Wenty seems to be a waste of money and player resources. Bring them back to the Stadium under the Eels umbrella or cut the cord in 2010.

Uaisele would be the only player in the two years of the joint venture that has not been a part of the Top 25 and been elevated from the Wentworthville lineup - Hauraki, Oake, Lowrie, Inu, Galuvao have all played for them but have been called upon in times of injury rather than form and held their places.

Seems pointless even having them as it looks to be easier to be elevated directly from the NYC side. You would hope though if you were a youngster that you wouldn't be introduced to Rip Taylor after signing on from the NYC as an over age player.

mickdo

Coach
so you suppose we just tell him to fo away and we'll quietly tear up his contract and hope he doesn't notice it???

Come on Mario, you can do better than that. Pressure can be put on players to move on, as we saw with Finch.

The Colonel

Immortal
IMO Anderson needs to focus more on shopping around guys like Oake, Cordoba, Smith, and Hauraki if possible...they're guys who I feel are more likely to have their contracts bought out, given they are young and at least have potential. That could (reportedly anyway) free up a good 600k, which can get us a pretty first grader like Poore and 3 or 4 other solid guys as well

Simple way of shopping around Cordoba and that is not to even re-sign him.

born an eel

Bench
............................. Pressure can be put on players to move on, as we saw with Finch.
maybe we should use this as our recruitment slogan.

What goes around, comes around. Loyalty should be encouraged. Imagine a player in this day and age with a handshake deal like the crow used to do.

mickdo

Coach
maybe we should use this as our recruitment slogan.

What goes around, comes around. Loyalty should be encouraged. Imagine a player in this day and age with a handshake deal like the crow used to do.

Loyalty in the NRL died years ago

Bazal

Post Whore
Simple way of shopping around Cordoba and that is not to even re-sign him.

Well I hope we don't...I've lost track of who's off contract tbh, but I think we need to start releasing some of the overpaid juniors we signed under Hagan. We could almost sign two experienced, "solid" players for each of our overpaid, underperforming juniors

Avenger

Immortal
Hagan was fooled by our late 2007 season form and obviously retained players that he should not have. By his own admission his lack of drive in 2008 transferred onto the players and most of them have battled for consistency since.

When this happens a chainsaw is the only solution. Ben Smith, Luke Burt and Cayless need to be shopped around. Even if we have to pay a part of their contracts. Oake, Cordoba and Lowrie should not be resigned. Grothe's injury prognosis is up in the air.

We need to build our team around The Keating brothers, Moimoi, Tim Mannah, Hindmarsh, Hayne, Reddy and Mateo. I couldn't care less what happenns to the rest.

Some tough decisions need to be made.

zuke

Juniors
Avenger you are 100% spot on. Maybe you should give some advice to the retention committee.

The Colonel

Immortal
Penrith duo Matthew Bell and Keith Peters are also in the club’s sights with the hooking role at the top of Parramatta’s list of priorities.

http://www.nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=54849

I'm still trying to work this one out.

We tied up Anthony Mitchell so the Cowboys couldn't take him home however that deal may finish this year so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that now we have developed him (and signed him on a deal that required him to be listed in our Top 25) to let him go elsewhere.

We have Matt Keating signed to a new contract and Anderson was the instigator behind Kingston coming to the club. Throw in Galati on a two or three year junior deal signed last year and we have some decent young hookers in the club.

Depth I can understand but Peters has played a handful of games over three years at Penrith behind Priddis, Aiton and now Iosefa.

We are struggling for any real quality in the forwards so any young player who even shows an ounce of quality is being let go.

Really, not much has changed from what Hagan was doing - regardless of the position he has left us in.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Come on Mario, you can do better than that. Pressure can be put on players to move on, as we saw with Finch.

you can point a 44 magnum at his head and he still has to find another club to match what he's currently on...