What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap disaster: Eels have no room to rebuild

Can someone please confirm, but my understanding of the Wenty JV was that the top 25 and the part time squad train at Parramatta on Monday / Tuesday when the team is selected, they break up into 2 units for field work but sometimes do opposed sessions and the like with the Wenty Boys coming over once a week or so and the Parra Players continue to do all their Gym and Fitness work under the Parramatta Training Staffs watchful eyes.

I know members of the Eels training staff work with the entire playing list at Wenty as well as man the sidelines in support staff roles during the season. I haven't seen DA at wenty yet, but considering their form, and the way they are playing, this year there is no one to bring up. Junior Palo would be the only one and he is not going the best at Wenty right now. Last year, yep some of those boys should have stepped up and for that I blame Hagan. But this year, I wouldn't promote anyone on form just yet.

Gronk

Staff member
New coach Daniel Anderson’s plans to haul Parramatta back to the top of the NRL ladder are in turmoil following revelations the club is already flirting with salary cap disaster in 2010.

Anderson and other members of the football club fronted the new Leagues Club board last night and presented a dire financial situation that means the struggling Eels will again be only bit-part players in the transfer market for the second year in a row.

So worrying is the situation that while much was made of Brett Finch’s apparent run-in with Anderson, his request for a release was actually seen as a godsend in the front office where the number-crunchers were expecting major cap dramas beyond 2009.

Even with the extra $300,000 freed by Finch’s departure the Eels remain right on the cusp as they struggle to retain the likes of young props Tim Mannah and Josh Cordoba – a problem exacerbated by the back-ended contract previously offered to captain Nathan Cayless.

New Leagues Club chairman Roy Spagnolo – who swept to power as part of the rebel ticket that ousted the old board late last month – was reluctant to discuss details when contacted but confirmed that a meeting had been held at Parramatta Leagues Club last night.

“They (the football office) let the board know where we are at with player retention and the upgrading of certain players,” he said, admitting that the situation is far from ideal.

“I was a little bit aware of it, probably moreso than some of the other guys, but it will be okay.”

A source close to the Eels camp told NRL.com that Anderson and his staff faced an uphill battle in their efforts to piece together the remnants of a disastrous 2008 season and what he described as some poorly thought-out retention and recruitment decisions.

“Daniel Anderson has inherited an absolute disaster,” the source said. “I think the board was quite shocked last night because some of the things that they had heard previously were a bit of a misnomer.

“The place was a shemozzle.”

Parramatta fans have already vented their frustration at the club’s plight by voting the old board out but will almost certainly have to bide their time before any dreams of a bright new future become reality.

Having already been priced out of negotiations with the likes of Dragons back-rower Ben Creagh, Spagnolo said it remained unclear whether the Eels could afford to bring in much fresh blood for next season.

“It just depends,” he said. “I guess as time goes on we’ll know more about where we go from here but as for the presentation it was very informative and answered a lot of the questions that we had.”

Instead, the Eels look set to focus once again on retention rather than recruitment with veteran back-rower Joe Galuvao set to be offered a new one-year deal with the club.

Seemingly on the scrapheap as recently as last season – when he admitted he was happy to play out the remainder of his current deal for feeder club Wentworthville – the 30-year-old has already played as many NRL games this season as he did in 2008 and is enjoying a new lease on life under Anderson’s rule.

“He is really enjoying his football again,” said his manager, Allan Gainey, after Galuvao was forced out of South Sydney 18 months ago.

“He has a good rapport with the coach who has given him a lot of confidence and told him that he is an important part of the team.

“Souths flicked him up to the Queensland Cup which had him down in the dumps but he has come a long way since then.”

The Eels have been talking to Dragons prop Justin Poore although his signing is now unlikely.

Penrith duo Matthew Bell and Keith Peters are also in the club’s sights with the hooking role at the top of Parramatta’s list of priorities.

http://www.nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=54849

Makes me wonder who is "the source" from the FC/LC and if this is just another attempt to white ant Fitzy. The quotes from Roy Spag are not gloom and doom, just those from "the source".

fish eel

Immortal
It seems that way but they don't seem to be prepared to make any hard decisions like letting Cordoba go or releasing some players to make some cap space...... it all seems to be being placed in the too hard basket to wait until 2011.

That only really works if you've got takers for them, doesnt it?

mickdo

Coach
It seems that way but they don't seem to be prepared to make any hard decisions like letting Cordoba go or releasing some players to make some cap space...... it all seems to be being placed in the too hard basket to wait until 2011.

wtf? they've been in for 5 minutes???

The Colonel

Immortal
That only really works if you've got takers for them, doesnt it?

He is off contract..... yet we are in the process, according to the article, of re-signing him. Surely some of the off contract players aren't in the plans of the new coach..... or are we grabbing what we can to field a team for next year and hoping for better for 2011?

fish eel

Immortal
He is off contract..... yet we are in the process, according to the article, of re-signing him. Surely some of the off contract players aren't in the plans of the new coach..... or are we grabbing what we can to field a team for next year and hoping for better for 2011?

I didnt take that out of the article.

It just says we'd struggle to retain him because we have no cap space.

I just took that as a blanket statement we'd struggle to re-sign anyone, let alone sign new players because of cap restrictions.

But still, when you talk about them not making hard decisions and releasing players - didnt we just let Finch go?

That was a pretty rare circumstance because he had no takers. You're not going to benefit much by releasing players whohave no takers and you end up paying them out anyway?

HevyDevy

Coach
It doesn't actually say that they will re-sign Cordoba or that they will sign Peters, just that they are options.

mickdo

Coach
And they've had more than six months to see what we have. The report on page one suggests nothing more than its all too hard for next year.....

What on earth are you talking about? How exactly for the last 6 months would they have been privy to the salaries and future salaries all the players were on?

HevyDevy

Coach
I didnt take that out of the article.

It just says we'd struggle to retain him because we have no cap space.

I just took that as a blanket statement we'd struggle to re-sign anyone, let alone sign new players because of cap restrictions.

Bingo

The Colonel

Immortal
But still, when you talk about them not making hard decisions and releasing players - didnt we just let Finch go?

Was it a hard decision or a blessing in disguise? The coach told him he wasn't in future plans so he spat the dummy and walked. He could well have enforced his contract and left us in an even more precarious situation for next year. It appears we have been very lucky in this one.

fish eel

Immortal
Was it a hard decision or a blessing in disguise? The coach told him he wasn't in future plans so he spat the dummy and walked. He could well have enforced his contract and left us in an even more precarious situation for next year. It appears we have been very lucky in this one.

Might have been lucky, but it was one, a tough decision IMO to tell him he wasnt in the plans, and then to let him go with no back up.

The Colonel

Immortal
something in the bush air today Colonel?

Just tired of us not using the roster to its full advantage and letting youg players go without so much as a chance and blaming it on the salary cap. I understand they have been in the joint for five minutes but its a continuation of the same crap we have been fed for thirty years.

If they are having another dig at Fitzgerald by way of this article than hopefully we can see something positive come around in the coming weeks in terms of player signings.

If what they are suggesting is true than the short term outlook doesn't appear to be quite as rosy as they painted it would be.

Hey not WE, them as in Fitzy and Hill.

Gronk

Staff member
Might have been lucky, but it was one, a tough decision IMO to tell him he wasnt in the plans, and then to let him go with no back up.

I thought that KK was the backup. Switch him from bench rake to half. Seems to be working OK IMO.

The Colonel

Immortal
What on earth are you talking about? How exactly for the last 6 months would they have been privy to the salaries and future salaries all the players were on?

Surely the coach would have been more aware before now..... given there is no June 30 deadline and we have already started negotiating with players like Ben Creagh there must have been some inclination as to where we need to head. This isn't about new versus old board. This is about putting a team on the paddock that is competitive.