What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgsfan

Juniors
Given the choice between ccbears and sharks, roosters, manly (especially), even penrith the bears would win hands down. At the moment its an 11th NSW team or a 4th QLD team. Bears should (and probably will have to) wait for a nsw team to fold.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
This might sound cruel but I have no problem if it works with the Bears coming in and another Sydney club sadly dies off. I can only seeing that being Cronulla to be perfectly honest, Manly would be next shortest odds but still quite long.

Talons

Juniors
A decrease in the number of N.S.W teams (if it were to happen) should really come from an already overcrowded regions of Sydney..
I'd be all for the addition of the CC Bears at the expense of say the
Bulldogs or Souths.

adamkungl

Immortal
The annoying thing is that the Bears have the potential to be a mirror image of of Illasox and they would be stronger on and off the field compared to some of the existing Sydney clubs. I don’t envy the people who’ll have to make the final call and I hope they find a way to accept all three bids.

Pretty presumptuous to claim they would be better than existing clubs...especially on the field. How could you possibly know what their roster will look like?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I dont think Manly will ever die, but they may relocate. They seem to already be sussing out the Sunshine Coast. If the Bears are admitted, they may push out Manly from the north shore. Id hate to see Manly go though.

I am confident though that by 2020, Perth, the Central Coast and Ipswich will be in the competition.

Hopefully that when the new TV contract is settled, the NRL offer some serious money for a team in Sydney to relocate to Wellington, the Sunshine Coast or Central Queensland.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Pretty presumptuous to claim they would be better than existing clubs...especially on the field. How could you possibly know what their roster will look like?

Just a hunch. Large and growing junior base means they should produce enough talent and with the affluent area of North Syd behind them they shouldn’t have trouble spending the entire cap or securing 3rd party deals for marquee signings.

BDGS

Bench
Simple fact is the NRL has been f**king around the bears since 1999. It can't keep happening, we have already had Singo walk away from the game, He has huge money and could of been another Crowe for the entire NRL.

Keep f**king them around and watch their area (North Sydney-Central Coast) become a small melbourne, dominated by AFL and Soccer.

It's that simple and i for one would rather see the Bears in over any other bid (apart from the Reds) to make sure this doesn't happen and to make sure these so-called other advance bids are put through just as much pressure and heart ache that the bears have faced and see where they stand after it. If they are still standing then they will be worthy of a team and known as an area that can sustain a team.

That is the Bears biggest selling point if you ask me, the amount of times they have been f**ked around and ho they reacted to it.

jim_57

Staff member
The thing it seems alot of people are missing is that if a Sydney club does relocate it won't mean Perth, Ipswich and Central Coast can all slide in at once, it would an odd number of teams and would mean 4 new teams basically starting from scratch in one year. If the Sharks moved to Adelaide it wouldn't grant automatic entry to CCB's, if Ipswich ends up being the better option there is still the same amount of places up for grabs, it just means CC are a much better chance next round expansion (they would have to be regardless).

If Central Coast do miss out in 2013 they will be waiting until the next expansion round or until a club Folds, relocation won't help them much at all.

BDGS

Bench
The thing it seems alot of people are missing is that if a Sydney club does relocate it won't mean Perth, Ipswich and Central Coast can all slide in at once, it would an odd number of teams and would mean 4 new teams basically starting from scratch in one year. If the Sharks moved to Adelaide it wouldn't grant automatic entry to CCB's, if Ipswich ends up being the better option there is still the same amount of places up for grabs, it just means CC are a much better chance next round expansion (they would have to be regardless).

NRL won't expand by more then 2.

If Central Coast do miss out in 2013 they will be waiting until the next expansion round or until a club Folds, relocation won't help them much at all.

They have already been through this, it be interesting to see if any other bid could survive this let alone doing it twice.

dgsfan

Juniors
Hopefully the NRL is smart about this and doesn't cave to the threats of the CC region. If they want to chuck a tanty just because they can't support the bears then let them. Rational minded cc residents will realise they love the game of RL more than the bears name and support one of the other 9 teams within 2hrs of them.

BDGS

Bench
Hopefully the NRL is smart about this and doesn't cave to the threats of the CC region. If they want to chuck a tanty just because they can't support the bears then let them. Rational minded cc residents will realise they love the game of RL more than the bears name and support one of the other 9 teams within 2hrs of them.

You gotta love the ignorance and false assumptions of some people which it seems have no clue about the culture of the area.

jim_57

Staff member
NRL won't expand by more then 2.

That's what I'm saying, it seems some people are getting the impression that if a Sydney club relocates it will mean CC stroll in - not true. They will still have to wait for an extra competition (not sydney) spot to open up and even then if the NRL finds it better to go elsewhere then they could very easily deny the Bears. If a club relocates before 2013 it will help the Bears but won't guarentee them a spot, if they get denied on the basis of Ipswich and Perth being the better options then an existing club relocating after that won't mean much for the CC's readmitance timeline.

Put simply if the miss out in 2013 they will have to wait until the NRL expands next regardless of current clubs relocating out of Sydney. The only thing that could give them an earlier entry would be an existing Sydney club folding.

They have already been through this, it be interesting to see if any other bid could survive this let alone doing it twice.

I didn't mean the Bears I meant an existing club.

Goddo

Bench
This might sound cruel but I have no problem if it works with the Bears coming in and another Sydney club sadly dies off. I can only seeing that being Cronulla to be perfectly honest, Manly would be next shortest odds but still quite long.

And this is how the clubs and the IC will be thinking. No matter how good the Bears bid, it will still be just another NSW club.

But they will be thinking this moreso, because the IC will be there to protect the game as it currently is, and act in the best interests of the various bodies of the game and the current clubs.

This may mean they push clubs to relocate in future, but in the short term will do NOTHING to harm the current clubs. They will want to protect the current brands and strengthen the game as it is.

It cannot be the Bears in 2013. Sorry, but thats the way it is. Gallop hasn't said as much because he isn't his own master; he is a puppet of News/ARL and will be of ARLC.

The needs of current clubs and TV money will dictate where future NEED of expansion is. The only way we will see the Bears back is if a NSW club folds or relocates inter-state, most likely the Sharks (for obvious reasons) or Sea Eagles (if they can't sort their stadium issues).

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
That's what I'm saying, it seems some people are getting the impression that if a Sydney club relocates it will mean CC stroll in - not true. They will still have to wait for an extra competition (not sydney) spot to open up and even then if the NRL finds it better to go elsewhere then they could very easily deny the Bears. If a club relocates before 2013 it will help the Bears but won't guarentee them a spot, if they get denied on the basis of Ipswich and Perth being the better options then an existing club relocating after that won't mean much for the CC's readmitance timeline.

Put simply if the miss out in 2013 they will have to wait until the NRL expands next regardless of current clubs relocating out of Sydney. The only thing that could give them an earlier entry would be an existing Sydney club folding.

I didn't mean the Bears I meant an existing club.

Oh i see, fair enough mate. Makes sense 100% and i agree with you.

BDGS

Bench
And this is how the clubs and the IC will be thinking. No matter how good the Bears bid, it will still be just another NSW club.

But they will be thinking this moreso, because the IC will be there to protect the game as it currently is, and act in the best interests of the various bodies of the game and the current clubs.

This may mean they push clubs to relocate in future, but in the short term will do NOTHING to harm the current clubs. They will want to protect the current brands and strengthen the game as it is.

It cannot be the Bears in 2013. Sorry, but thats the way it is. Gallop hasn't said as much because he isn't his own master; he is a puppet of News/ARL and will be of ARLC.

The needs of current clubs and TV money will dictate where future NEED of expansion is. The only way we will see the Bears back is if a NSW club folds or relocates inter-state, most likely the Sharks (for obvious reasons) or Sea Eagles (if they can't sort their stadium issues).

The Bears area contain 1 million people within it. That is 20% of NSW population.

People who think NSW does not need another team because of the number of Sydney teams are wrong and also unfair on areas that are in NSW but are not in Sydney.

I agree there is too many Sydney teams but there is indeed not enough regional teams. Central Qld, Central Coast and WA are the top bids. Although there are serious concerns over Central Qld but not as many as Ipswich have with identity.

Btw, on Gallop. Get any recorded interview with him over the last 4 months and all he talks about is putting one team where the fish are (and always mentions the Central Coast Bears) and one in a newer area (and always mentions the WA Reds).

Ipswich won't be ready to put in a bid by March, Central Queensland will be but they wont be a valid NRL Bid until a boom hits in about 15 years and that leaves to very advance bids. WA Reds and the most advance bid in NRL history the Central Coast Bears.

If Rugby League really is the people's game then the bears and reds will be the next two in. If they want to be like the AFL and ignore what fans have been yelling at them ... then so be it but then league cant claim to be a game for the people.

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
^ thing is with Gallop, hes a flip flopper. You can find a quote of his to support any of the bids over any of the others. He just says whatever is expedient at the time. Not a good measure of where the thinking of people with actual decision making power is at.

A quote from an ARL/NSWRL/QRL/NRL Clubs/News Ltd is a better measure of which way the wind is blowing.

Just saying, Gallop is a puppet.

Ipswich will be ready by the middle of next year, or as ready as they need to be at this stage. They won't have any members, but they will have funding for a stadium, a financial and business model, potential sponsors, restructure plans for juniors et cetera. Two and a half years is plenty of lead in time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts