What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
The Central Coast is just as much part of the "nation" as any half baked QLD bid.

BM

Problem is - the dolphins/titans were a half-baked bid - no name, no stadium, no real money - but Gallop and Searle had a love-in - they involved an NRL dinosaurand they were selected over the CC Bears that had been fighting for 6 years and had money (Singo), stadium, 2 areas etc etc.

Rugby league has always been a jobs for the boys operation. Paul Broughton, an NRL dinosaur, got teh titans bid home. Canavan wil do the same for Ipswich.

the fact that gallop is still stuffing the CC Bears around after 11 years is nothing short of a national disgrace.

joshreading

Staff member
Whilst I appreciate CC Bears frustration the NRL clearly made the right decision. GC adds another QLD game when more QLD games were needed simply to cover available TV slots.

They have been a success, one of only a few that consistently make a profit and are investing for the future in ways most clubs can only dream about (and yes that has meant risk but all smart businesses recognise such)

To still think that GC was not the right choice is blind.

Red Bear

Referee
GC over CC back then was a no brainer.
It wasnt in 2004, when the Bears were watertight and the GC's bid was holier than swisse cheese.

S the NRL gave them a year to catch up, which has me a bit worried, as they could easily pull that sh*te again.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
It wasnt in 2004, when the Bears were watertight and the GC's bid was holier than swisse cheese.

S the NRL gave them a year to catch up, which has me a bit worried, as they could easily pull that sh*te again.

They didn’t give the GC a year to catch up, they said none of the bids were worthy of joining the comp.

The difference is that the Bears and Orcas threw in the towel while the GC made their bid even better.

Red Bear

Referee
So we should have bought in the Bears in 2007 and abandoned the Gold Coast to AFL...

OK...
It was the right decision (from a non-selfish point of view:)), but there is no doubt the CC had the better bid in 2004, whereas GC didnt have much going for it other than location and alot of promises, nothing concrete. Giving them a year to get these promises sorted got them in.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
They didn’t give the GC a year to catch up, they said none of the bids were worthy of joining the comp.

The difference is that the Bears and Orcas threw in the towel while the GC made their bid even better.

Really stupid comment.

The CC Bears couldn't make their bid better - because it was 100% - it had everything. Dolphin/Titans were miles off - but Gallop gave them a year then gave them the nod. Absolute disgrace.

The Titans have had their honeymoon period - but their whole future is based on some blue-sky development - a massive punt.

Now - the CC Bears have done all the right things again - and the same rort could happen again.

Goddo

Bench
It was the right decision (from a non-selfish point of view:)), but there is no doubt the CC had the better bid in 2004, whereas GC didnt have much going for it other than location and alot of promises, nothing concrete. Giving them a year to get these promises sorted got them in.

But that is exactly what the NRL clubs and probably the IC will be thinking -

maybe the game might be better off consolidating with a short TV deal, then expanding around 2014-15. This kind of cautious thinking goes against the Bears as better locations TV revenue-wise get more time to be a bigger threat.

If expansion is delayed at all past 2013 the Bears have no hope at all against Ipswich and Perth. Right now, even in 2013 its looking like a dead heat between Ipswich and the Central Coast for the second spot.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Really stupid comment.

The CC Bears couldn't make their bid better - because it was 100% - it had everything. Dolphin/Titans were miles off - but Gallop gave them a year then gave them the nod. Absolute disgrace.

The Titans have had their honeymoon period - but their whole future is based on some blue-sky development - a massive punt.

Now - the CC Bears have done all the right things again - and the same rort could happen again.

This current Bears bid is light years ahead of the last one.

Last time everything revolved around Singo. Now there are sponsors willing to hand over $10M to support the team, thousands of paying members, lots of community involvement and not to mention a jersey and logo… Had none of that last time and that’s why you didn’t join the NRL in 2007.

re: the Titans blue sky development which their whole future depends upon. Surely you aren’t talking about the Centre of Excellence?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
What on earth are you smoking? There are seven existing teams within just 100km!!! I'm all for a team based on the Central Coast itself but not if it means an eighth team in that same 100km radius. Meanwhile fans in SE Qld only have two in a radius of more than 500km, New Zealand has only one in the entire country, and Perth's nearest team is several thousand kilometres away.

Leigh

Had a look back in a thread from 2007 to find a specific quote from Gallop about the concentration of Sydney teams and if it’d affect the Bears bid.

Paul Malone: Would you see the next expansion club going to Gosford, or a state without a team or even a second Brisbane club?

Gallop: You have to put teams in where there is a chance for the grassroots to take hold. Even Melbourne is a lesson in that. The Central Coast has a lot going for it. Unfortunately there's already too much competition in Sydney and that counts against Gosford. There's $8 million from the NRL if anyone is interested in relocation. We'd look at other areas as well (other than Gosford). Whether Adelaide or Perth will be ready soon is hard to say. I think it will take some time.

Granted the Bears bid has grown a lot since then but that’s straight from the horse’s mouth. He’s been talking up a 2nd Brisbane team ever since the Titans joined and apparently the clubs seem keen on the Reds.
I wouldn’t be sweating yet but if I was involved in the Bears bid I’d be pushing hard for a current Sydney team look at relocating outside of NSW...

BuffaloRules

Coach
I wouldn’t be sweating yet but if I was involved in the Bears bid I’d be pushing hard for a current Sydney team look at relocating outside of NSW...

How would the Bears be able to have any influence on that happening?

Are you suggesting that they themselves offer some sort of financial carrot to one of the Sydney clubs?

BDGS

Bench
But that is exactly what the NRL clubs and probably the IC will be thinking -

maybe the game might be better off consolidating with a short TV deal, then expanding around 2014-15. This kind of cautious thinking goes against the Bears as better locations TV revenue-wise get more time to be a bigger threat.

If expansion is delayed at all past 2013 the Bears have no hope at all against Ipswich and Perth. Right now, even in 2013 its looking like a dead heat between Ipswich and the Central Coast for the second spot.

Right now the Central Coast is the most advanced NRL Bid in the history of the game.

applesauce

Bench
To be realistic every Bears fan needs to think long-term potential. Right now Ipswich and the SE corner has that in bucketloads over the CC.

The bid is a present entity, current members, 5-year plans, stadia, ideas for coaches/players etc. With long term guides/goals mixed in.

If a team is slightly weaker in the bid and has the ability to be miles ahead in 5-10years then in my eyes the NRL needs to look there. Everyone hear harps on about the NRL's shortsightedness, the CC are great for RIGHT NOW (meaning a relocation prospect) and the more I think about Brisbane 2 the better it is for the game long term of the game.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The annoying thing is that the Bears have the potential to be a mirror image of of Illasox and they would be stronger on and off the field compared to some of the existing Sydney clubs. I don’t envy the people who’ll have to make the final call and I hope they find a way to accept all three bids.

Status
Not open for further replies.