What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
f**k me what is wrong with the NRL crowds.Maybe the game is going into a decline for a good few years like it did in the 1980's and again prematurely in the mid 90's with the super league war.
I f**kin hate Soccer and AFL but i find it sad at the moment that crowds are pretty dire for Both Rugby codes in Australia and New Zealand.

No but it seems in some sports they go in cycles in popularity,sadly that doesn't seem to happen in Soccer,AFL,NFL,NBA and English Rugby Union.

Are you honestly trying to compare the EPL to the NRL?

How about comparing it to it's local equivalent, the A-League? The average A-League crowd dipped below 10,000 this season just gone if I'm not mistaken.

And let's look at the Swans shall we? Swans v Geelong 25,300... six days prior Saints v Canterbury 31k in pouring rain.

:-k

Teddyboy

First Grade

How about comparing it to it's local equivalent, the A-League? The average A-League crowd dipped below 10,000 this season just gone if I'm not mistaken.

And let's look at the Swans shall we? Swans v Geelong 25,300... six days prior Saints v Canterbury 31k in pouring rain.

So what your saying a NRL is a B grade Sport.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
f**k me what is wrong with the NRL crowds.Maybe the game is going into a decline for a good few years like it did in the 1980's and again prematurely in the mid 90's with the super league war.
I f**kin hate Soccer and AFL but i find it sad at the moment that crowds are pretty dire for Both Rugby codes in Australia and New Zealand.

em technically this past 2 years the NRL has had record aggregate crowds so its hardly in decline. Yes empty seats gives that impression, but by the numbers it is not the case.

So far this year we are a few thousand behind 2010, but we have had a lot of games affected by pretty shocking weather at the weekends. I still think we will average in the 16k+ range this year, maybe approach 17k if we are lucky.

Teddyboy

First Grade
em technically this past 2 years the NRL has had record aggregate crowds so its hardly in decline. Yes empty seats gives that impression, but by the numbers it is not the case.

So far this year we are a few thousand behind 2010, but we have had a lot of games affected by pretty shocking weather at the weekends. I still think we will average in the 16k+ range this year, maybe approach 17k if we are lucky.

The talk of crowds,expansion etc has been going on for at least 30 years in Australia and even longer in England (yes I know about pokies and the SL war).The game has come on very strong since John'O'Neil said Rugby Union will take over Rugby League but i hate yo think in the next 5 years we be talking about the 12000 crowds at Penrith and in Melbourne.

BunniesMan

Immortal

The Swans game was also in pouring rain. It was held across the street at the same time as the Roosters game and I know it was pouring there.

But I agree with the rest of your post, surprisingly.

macavity

Referee
add to that

dry weather
sunday arvo
decent looking knights side + decent looking sharks side = good competitive game

disgraceful crowd IMO

no way there was only 12k there - was a 15-17 crowd.

they massively understated it last game too.

i asked the club about it and they said that some of the new entry booths have remote scanners which aren't uploaded until after the game - meaning the announced crowds don't include most of the western stand. apparently HVA don't care what they post.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
no way there was only 12k there - was a 15-17 crowd.

they massively understated it last game too.

i asked the club about it and they said that some of the new entry booths have remote scanners which aren't uploaded until after the game - meaning the announced crowds don't include most of the western stand. apparently HVA don't care what they post.

I did post before it was announced it looked 15-17k so probably an over reaction on my part re. 12k. Can we expect the proper crowd numbers to be released at some point?

Evenflow

Bench
that sounds like absolute garbage to me.

Lol of course it is and it's f**king embarrassing it's used as an excuse. It never ceases to amaze me how many crowds are allegedly understated week after week for one geniused reason for another.

*cue the deluded fools bagging me who can't fathom that we actually have some real sh*t crowds sometimes. Even ones where stadiums are really telling the truth....

macavity

Referee
Lol of course it is and it's f**king embarrassing it's used as an excuse. It never ceases to amaze me how many crowds are allegedly understated week after week for one geniused reason for another.

*cue the deluded fools bagging me who can't fathom that we actually have some real sh*t crowds sometimes. Even ones where stadiums are really telling the truth....

I, and many others, have been attending the ground for 20+ years. you can tell how many are there from not only the visuals inside the ground, but the parking and exit issues on the way out.

That wasn't a 12k crowd, and it wasn't a 20k crowd last game. Seat of the pants feel from pretty much every Knights fan says both were underestimated by 3-5k, which is consistent with the club's "embarrassing story".

docbrown

Coach
No way was that was 12k newcastle crowd.

Just for the record though, based on the numbers for this round so far, Souths vs Dragons needs 29,972 to keep us on par with last season.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Just for the record NRL stats revised the numbers for last weeks Warriors vs Roosters to 13312 ( it was always odd that they got exactly the same crowd in rounds 4 and 5). I think the ARL and press aren't quite as obsessive as members of this blog about crowd numbers

Brutus

Referee
The Swans game was also in pouring rain. It was held across the street at the same time as the Roosters game and I know it was pouring there.

But I agree with the rest of your post, surprisingly.

There was hardly a drop of rain in the local area in the hour or two leading up to the Swans game. Plenty or dark clouds to the south west but no rain until the game started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts