What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons statement: Player breach

thebigredv

First Grade
Indeed.

The fact that their culture has been questioned, yet when the team were given the weekend off they still wanted to spend time together to watch their next opponent play is a solid indication of how tight and committed they are.

Potentially augers well imo...

This comment has been made by a number of fans and I do get it. They are probably a tighter bunch than a lot of teams. Certainly not Panthers but winning is nice. Up until the JDB incident in 2018 we never had a problem with having a tight-knit group. Remember the minivan where they all piled in? Not sure if that is still a thing.

But what good is a bond when you can't respect the coach or the authority of the club? Maybe they have each other's backs on the field but it's bound to fall apart sooner or later when you can't live up to professional expectations.

Dragsters

First Grade
This comment has been made by a number of fans and I do get it. They are probably a tighter bunch than a lot of teams. Certainly not Panthers but winning is nice. Up until the JDB incident in 2018 we never had a problem with having a tight-knit group. Remember the minivan where they all piled in? Not sure if that is still a thing.

But what good is a bond when you can't respect the coach or the authority of the club? Maybe they have each other's backs on the field but it's bound to fall apart sooner or later when you can't live up to professional expectations.

Time will tell.

The ball is definitely in their court as to how they respond to this.

Let's see how it pans out...

kit66

Bench
I see Kent was still banging on about Detectives (yes Detectives) are still looking into the get together at Vaughans joint to see who exactely were there and that the players will be required to sign affidavits bla bla bla.....next we will see neighbours having to hand over cctv footage, drones flying overhead ,swat teams at each end of the street and players phones being bugged .....ffs sake no one has been murdered ....players have been fined by police for breaking state Covid rules, suspended and fined by the NRL ....and our club has sacked Vaughan and fined ( I believe the money to go to charities) and ordered the guilty players to do community work etc.....not one of us is proud of what transpired last weekend but time to move on now

I opened the Telegraph's online page yesterday just to see what garbage they had for us and there were 6 stories about the Dragons. The journos ( and those working for the DT who call themselves journos )will do whatever is necessary to keep it going as long as they can. We're an easy target, we've no big end of town or political clout to step in and save us or to limit the damage. It's a pity the media aren't as ruthless and thorough with our often wayward Corporate and Political leaders.
They'll put any spin on it that they can to grab a headline, the players and club don't stand a chance. Have a look at the 2 stories on Vaughan on NRL.com, just the photos they've chosen show the medias utter contempt for " fair and unbiased reporting ". There's the " Vaughan apology " story photo where poor Paul looks like he's just been lobotomized and the " where to now for Paul " story where he looks like he's just seen Phil Rothfield naked. I refused to even read those stories.

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
I'm surprised people still read the media after the year we've had and what we've copped. You couldn't pay me to read that tripe.

One of the main reasons I joined this forum is because majority here are far better journalists than the nufties they have writing for fox and 9, and closer to the actual happenings on in clubland.

For how divisive this week has been, everyone's input truly has been appreciated

CalcuttaPete

Juniors
I opened the Telegraph's online page yesterday just to see what garbage they had for us and there were 6 stories about the Dragons. The journos ( and those working for the DT who call themselves journos )will do whatever is necessary to keep it going as long as they can. We're an easy target, we've no big end of town or political clout to step in and save us or to limit the damage. It's a pity the media aren't as ruthless and thorough with our often wayward Corporate and Political leaders.
They'll put any spin on it that they can to grab a headline, the players and club don't stand a chance. Have a look at the 2 stories on Vaughan on NRL.com, just the photos they've chosen show the medias utter contempt for " fair and unbiased reporting ". There's the " Vaughan apology " story photo where poor Paul looks like he's just been lobotomized and the " where to now for Paul " story where he looks like he's just seen Phil Rothfield naked. I refused to even read those stories.
The Telegraph today has the article "Su'a Signs With Bubble Pariahs". I resent the Club and its supporters being labelled pariahs along with the offending players. The Club has done the right thing. They should lodge a complaint with the Telegraph and the author Michael Carayannis.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I too remember old Darcy. He was the controversial ref of his day, long before Hollywood Hartley and Harrigan.

But he was wrongly accused of fixing the 1963 grand final. Wests claimed that Johnny King was tackled in the mud and Darcy Lawler called "held". But it's myth. You only have to look at the footage. King did an amazing job in the slippery conditions, getting up to score in the corner. And Darcy signalled "play-on". Of course the facts don't stop those sad people who are still whinging about it to this day.

7:30 minutes in...
Thanks Willow for the memories...was great see the program with the names of our great players of yesteryear....had actually forgotten about one K McDonald.......Johnny King now theres a bloke that knew the way to the tryline....loved Eddie as well but have to admit J. King and K.Irvine were my favs

denis preston

First Grade
I too remember old Darcy. He was the controversial ref of his day, long before Hollywood Hartley and Harrigan.

But he was wrongly accused of fixing the 1963 grand final. Wests claimed that Johnny King was tackled in the mud and Darcy Lawler called "held". But it's myth. You only have to look at the footage. King did an amazing job in the slippery conditions, getting up to score in the corner. And Darcy signalled "play-on". Of course the facts don't stop those sad people who are still whinging about it to this day.

7:30 minutes in...
What a bludger of a game ! Only better than the sound & the commentator ( who was he ? ) Yes the "good old days "

Saint Pete

Juniors
What do you expect him to say publicly ? Privately they are moving on players....they are well aware that there are issues.
Well GS, I expect him to be upfront and publicly acknowledge there are issues with the club’s culture
What do you expect him to say publicly ? Privately they are moving on players....they are well aware that there are issues.
Hi GS. I expect him to be upfront and acknowledge publicly what is patently obvious to everyone! There is a culture problem at the club! There is a culture problem with much of Australian sport - the Dragons are not alone, and it is not all the fault of the club! Much of what we see is caused by men not accepting their responsibility as highly paid, privileged, professional sportsmen whom are role models for thousand of kids (and for other men)!
To address this issue will take a generation at least - we are dealing with ingrained “blokey, superior”, attitudes!
Would we expect this behaviour from our fathers, brothers, husbands, and sons?
No - most decent Australians would not!
It is a double standard which has survived by people not calling it out and promoting better values through explaining expectations and modelling what is right and appropriate!
By not calling it out you actually give it a tacit approval!

TruSaint

Referee
Well GS, I expect him to be upfront and publicly acknowledge there are issues with the club’s culture

Hi GS. I expect him to be upfront and acknowledge publicly what is patently obvious to everyone! There is a culture problem at the club! There is a culture problem with much of Australian sport - the Dragons are not alone, and it is not all the fault of the club! Much of what we see is caused by men not accepting their responsibility as highly paid, privileged, professional sportsmen whom are role models for thousand of kids (and for other men)!
To address this issue will take a generation at least - we are dealing with ingrained “blokey, superior”, attitudes!
Would we expect this behaviour from our fathers, brothers, husbands, and sons?
No - most decent Australians would not!
It is a double standard which has survived by people not calling it out and promoting better values through explaining expectations and modelling what is right and appropriate!
By not calling it out you actually give it a tacit approval!

As much as your overall message here resonates Pete, no CEO would publicly crucify its employer.

To publicly state what you are asking, would only feed the frenzy that already exists. We (the fans) dont know if there is an inherent issue within the Club. On face value, it may be.

Im livid with what the players did, but Im also happy that 24 hours later the Club sacked a senior player and met the criticism immediately.

The brand is 100 years old. I dont want it tarnished by a few idiots.

Overall, the management has handled this matter well.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Long time reader but first time posting. Been following the Dragons since the mid 70s and played for Bexley Kingsgrove for those of you old enough to remember them. Cronk is a crock of ... he wouldn't trust playing next to Vaughan (agree what they did was stupid and whatever else you want to add) but happy to play with immoral players cheating the salary cap and the rest of their grubby tackling techniques at the Storm. And for Kent to say the NRL is compromising the competition by allowing the Dragons to sign players on a short term basis, well the competition is compromised from the beginning once you don't play everyone home and away, let alone bending the rules for certain clubs.
Congratulations on your first post..hopefully it wont be your last....It was a great point you made regardng Cronks statement that he wouldnt trust playing next to Vaughan as a repeat offender (or words to that effect)...and as you stated yet was happy to play alongside his former teamates that reportedly cheated the cap and imo introduced most of the grubby tackling techniques in the NRL.....as I said previously "I know everthing Cronk" "shut up and listen to me Hadley" and talk over the top of everyone Kent is a good reason give NRL 360 the flick

Dragons4me

Juniors

Should we expect anything different from the Sydney Daily-tell-U-crap? I mean seriously??
I know their so called journo's read these posts so this is directed squarely at you. Do you wonder why you lot have zero credibility with crap like that? Are you lot proud of that? Still at least you're consistent. Spewing dribble for years now and nothing will change.

TruSaint

Referee
Congratulations on your first post..hopefully it wont be your last....It was a great point you made regardng Cronks statement that he wouldnt trust playing next to Vaughan as a repeat offender (or words to that effect)...and as you stated yet was happy to play alongside his former teamates that reportedly cheated the cap and imo introduced most of the grubby tackling techniques in the NRL.....as I said previously "I know everthing Cronk" "shut up and listen to me Hadley" and talk over the top of everyone Kent is a good reason give NRL 360 the flick

You're on fire bro ...

Nail. Head.