What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Appoint Brad Arthur as Head Coach

Who should be our next coach

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmancraigy

Coach
You mean after the plumber was overruled by the board for Taylor, then the board overruled themselves for Arthur. And people like Gronk say there's nothing going on and it's totally normal.... PPPPPPPPPFFFFFTTTTT

The right decision was made in the end and the plumber gets to keep his job.

And alls well that ends well.

Unless BA can't coach.

But I reckon the odds are with us on this one - back to back duds who don't know their Xs from their Os means surely we must be on a good thing here!

oldmancraigy

Coach
Not sure why u have no faith in da. Has consistantly coached in finals where ever he's coached. That's no fluke

He also took all NRL teams he's coached from the penthouse to the cellar in very short time.

That's no fluke - speaks volumes to his lack of man management

And, unfortunately, we're not bringing him in as coach, we're bringing him in on the man management side of things. Oh dear.

It'll be fantastic if it works out - there's just no logical reason for someone to get excited over his appointment to said role. I hope he's the best coaching director there ever was - but his past results don't give any real hope do they?

You can disagree all you want, that is your perogative

However the stuff about not showing interest at the lower sides, I can't come at because I was at most of the lower sides games and saw DA on many occasions over the 2 years he was at the club. His UK experience also saw him create the St Helens Academy while there, so again I can't see where this is coming from.

But indeed onwards and upwards.

I hope the stuff about DA and Polys are not true. Could be a problem some of our best talent are Polys and Aboriginals

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Arthur had a 10 year coaching career in the bush ( batemans bay/cairns )starting when he was 22 , you don't do that if you can't coach or unable to man manage players. Then to get picked up by Melbourne then manly ( when they were both top sides) shows he aren't no fool.

Ratchy

Juniors
I hope the stuff about DA and Polys are not true. Could be a problem some of our best talent are Polys and Aboriginals

I don't wanna believe it either but it's a concern there was some buzz around thats one of the reasons the Warriors let him go without even getting into the whole Mateo story or non-story.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

He has no problems with polys - look at what he achieved at the warriors, he took them to the finals for the first time in their history. Previous warrior coaches who should have had a better understanding of polys culture were never able to achieve what he did. And they didn't make the final for a few years after he left.

Thus this indicates to me he had a pretty good understanding on how to movitate players with polys culture to perform at their best ( which previous coaches couldn't )Hardly a problem

IFR33K

Coach
Took Warriors to 1st semi final In his first year.

Took warriors to 1st GF in second year.

Took warriors to another final series in third year.

Has a fallout and is sacked in his fourth year. Warriors than fail to makes finals for four or so years.

Pretty good record if you ask me.

Won some comps in England, and set up the academy there. Left to return home.

We all know what happened at the eels, no need going down that path again.

No doubting the guy knows his footy. Anyone stating otherwise has NFI.

Avenger

Immortal
No doubt that Ando has been badly defamed on these forums. Most of it was done to hide and deflect the dumb decision to sack him.

Last edited:

oldmancraigy

Coach
Arthur had a 10 year coaching career in the bush ( batemans bay/cairns )starting when he was 22 , you don't do that if you can't coach or unable to man manage players. Then to get picked up by Melbourne then manly ( when they were both top sides) shows he aren't no fool.

With all due respect, we've been through the whole "Melbourne assistant coach who was highly successful with another team he coached" rigmarole already.

It doesn't prove anything per se. BA was also picked up by SK and stunk it up here as "attack coach" for 2 years.

Doesn't mean he can't coach attack - but nor does 1 season with the all-star veteran Manly forward pack mean he can coach forwards either.

Don't get me wrong - I hope the bloke is awesome. I just don't have to be doing laps like we've won the grand final when the blokes main claim to fame is that he's head coach of Rouse Hill under 11s (per that article).

By the same token I hope DA is the best ever at his new job - but the objective evidence doesn't point towards it.

oldmancraigy

Coach

I agree - nobody I prefer to hear talk about league. He certainly knows the game inside out.

But is that his job at the Eels? To know the game?

I am a huge fan of Anderson - he's an outstanding coach. But is he a club builder? That's the question I have which makes me nervous.

Anyway - like I say, I HOPE it all works out - but you'll forgive me for not joining in the ticker-tape parade just yet??

IFR33K

Coach
No doubt that Ando has been badly defamed on these forums. Most of it was done to hide and deflect the dumb decision to sack him.

This.

The people who want you to believe da is a shit coach, are the ones that sacked him. They had f**k all reason too, and had to justify there decision. They were, and remain f**kwits to this day. They destroyed any chance we had of sending our legends out as winners. They are the reason we 'earned' the spoons, not SK not RS.

Gronk

Staff member
Took Warriors to 1st semi final In his first year.

Took warriors to 1st GF in second year.

Took warriors to another final series in third year.

Has a fallout and is sacked in his fourth year. Warriors than fail to makes finals for four or so years.

Pretty good record if you ask me.

Won some comps in England, and set up the academy there. Left to return home.

We all know what happened at the eels, no need going down that path again.

Also coached the exiles in their "Origin" game over there in 2012.

Gronk

Staff member

In the press too. Pricey said last night that Ando was a loser and had achieved NOTHIN in the time that he was at the club. He must have missed that grand final. :roll:

IFR33K

Coach
I agree - nobody I prefer to hear talk about league. He certainly knows the game inside out.

But is that his job at the Eels? To know the game?

I am a huge fan of Anderson - he's an outstanding coach. But is he a club builder? That's the question I have which makes me nervous.

Anyway - like I say, I HOPE it all works out - but you'll forgive me for not joining in the ticker-tape parade just yet??

He's worked under bs, so he'd probably know what's involved. He has a strong personality, so hopefully will keep the board at bay. I just hope he and BA don't clash.

Probably no need for you to join the ticker tape parade at this stage, because DA isn't confirmed yet. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.