What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hindy111

Post Whore
if we are seriously considering TBaz then it will take more than 4 weeks to assess his impact on the team's performance properly.

Exactly what I said. Let's say we fire and won 11/12 and finished top 8 and made a finals run. None of that will matter as a coach for 2025 would already be sealed.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I dont recall a caretaker/interim going on & getting the top job and actually being successful.

I think we will get a short term sugar hit with Baz in the back end of the year.

But he has failed twice at pretty successful organizations in Manly & Bulldogs. And been one of the least successful coaches at both of those clubs win% wise.

I dont think he is the long-term solution.

I see too many red flags with his history as a head coach he will be successful.

- Defence at both previous stints was poor. There records in D were dreadful around 25-28 ppg in D.
- i think his Man-management is still up in the air maybe its improved with experience but i am not sold completely.
- Is Trent a winner and got a winners mentality. I dont think he has ever been apart of a premiership winning organization when they won as a player or coach.
- He punted Gutho 3 months after Manly extended him. That worked out well for us. But what was Trent seriously thinking.

Gazzamatta

Coach
A couple of reasons:
1. He has had 2 goes as a head coach previously and failed
2. He was here for the last 2 years when we experienced our worst results since 2008.
Fair call.
Maybe hes learned a few things about himself.
Maybe he didnt have much say in proceedings.
Everyones a risk except Holbrook of cause. 😁

Sensei Cobra

Juniors
Trent has failed really badly x 2 so that will stick with him. I’m sure he has learnt plenty since then and no doubt he will still have plenty to offer but don’t think he should be given the keys for a while yet. He gets a great chance to win back some credibility if he can spark something with us this year but I don’t think (hope) it should / will lead to him landing the gig with the eels as he’s a long way back compared to other candidates

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Lol. Yep, it's good for the 2022 grand finalist's to have the same win loss record as a brand new team entering the comp in 2023....
The 2022 grand final was the end of our premiership window. Without it our players wouldn’t have gotten such good offers from rivals for 2023+

Meanwhile the Dolphins had a full cap with no baggage to recruit with. They had no legacy contracts (ageing/injured players) holding them back. You’re acting like being new is a disadvantage.

JokerEel

Coach
The 2022 grand final was the end of our premiership window. Without it our players wouldn’t have gotten such good offers from rivals for 2023+

Meanwhile the Dolphins had a full cap with no baggage to recruit with. They had no legacy contracts (ageing/injured players) holding them back. You’re acting like being new is a disadvantage.

Didn't those players all sign for other clubs before we made the GF in 2022?

Incorrect

Coach

So I suppose, and I can't be f**ked looking, but I suppose you would have been telling us dumbo's here in 2023 pre season we were probably going to miss the finals for a couple of seasons on the trot because the window was closed, and that the Dolphins by the same token should be playing finals both years because of the advantages they have being a brand new team??