What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels snare Poore and Shackleton

Raul_Pato

Juniors
I reckon you guys got a good deal, 350K for an origin player in a position of weakness for you.

If we bought an origin hooker for that we would be doing backflips as its exactly what we need. A players value is what the teams are prepared to pay, not what some nuffy fans think a player is worth.

Good luck to Justin at the Eels next season, I'm glad we have him for the rest of the year to bring home the comp for us.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
Here are some quotes that is reality:

"350k a year for Poore? I bet he hasn't stopped laughing that he's been offered so much. What's the bet that investment turns out to be as succesful as Ben Ross at the sharks. Parramatta."

Congratulations eels you have signed the next Jason Ryles, the most overated forward running round in 2009! What ever this guy does i would like to know??? $350 K, this from the same team that paid $450 for a useless Cayless. MORONS!!!! (maybe not this one)

"lmao, he has not played any good until Bennett got there. Now all of a sudden he thinks he is a superstar, Eels will become the new roosters over paid and over rated." (THIS IS THE BEST ONE) (except for the roosters part, you are not there yet.)

"i don't think any of the dragons that have ended up at parra in recent years have done much to enhance their position in the game. good luck JP, you're going to need it."

"To all you numpty Roflmatta fans, big name prop forwards don't win you the comp. Decent halves win you the comp. Have a look at the pack of forwards the Tigers won the comp with (and i don't follow them). You numpty's aren't going to look like winning a comp without a decent 6 and 7 (plus a good hooker for that matter). But feel free to continue being delusional until then." (this is a good quote for bias fans, some here are, some aren't)

"I am a Dragons fan deluxe but Poore just hasn't got it. He clearly got Wayne Bennett's message when he said he was overpaid at $275,000. Smart move Eels, you've replaced a donk named Cayless with Poore who is more of the same old, same old. Bennett should now focus on developing Dan Hunt and slot Poore onto the bench for the rest of the season. Poore should never have played Origin as he's only an average first grader." (from a dragons fan)

"350k for Justin Poore lol............no wonder Parra are at the tail end of the competition."

"Parra would be better off worrying about keeping albert kelly then throwing all that money at someone who I just cant see is worth it." (Brilliant quote)
If he stayed at the dragons he would have been one of the greatest ever dragons and greatest ever players blah blah blah. But because he signs with another team, these dragon fans turn on him.

Get over it, he is parras future, we need players like that to be successful again, footy doesnt last a life time and you need to make the most of it. $275,000 or $350,000 a season? I know what 99% of people would take.

Just move on, the dragons will come up with another top front rower and you will forget about poore.

Bazal

Post Whore
I reckon you guys got a good deal, 350K for an origin player in a position of weakness for you.

If we bought an origin hooker for that we would be doing backflips as its exactly what we need. A players value is what the teams are prepared to pay, not what some nuffy fans think a player is worth.

Good luck to Justin at the Eels next season, I'm glad we have him for the rest of the year to bring home the comp for us.

:clap:

Exactly right mate, we needed a top level prop, and we got one (for less than our illustrious skipper, as well). 350k for an Origin prop is about right, especially when we were desperate for a quality player in that position

CrazyEel

Bench
woot, overs unders who cares, much rather pay $350k for Poore next year than wasting $300k on Finch. Mmmm, looking at it that way Poore only cost us $50K :sarcasm::lol:

slippy

Juniors
I dont really care how much we paid for him. From what ive seen he goes bloody good and is exactly what we need. Its better than what we've got and thats the bottom line. We are improving our side so how can you criticise? Care to suggest a better option for us? No? Didnt think so.

See ya monday c**k.

Ladmate

Bench
I dont really care how much we paid for him. From what ive seen he goes bloody good and is exactly what we need. Its better than what we've got and thats the bottom line. We are improving our side so how can you criticise? Care to suggest a better option for us? No? Didnt think so.

See ya monday c**k.

Actually I can. There is a young dragons prop. Merrin or something. Dragons fans have a high rap on him. Apparantely he will be awesome, better than Poore. Also costs 150k cheaper.

MrT

Juniors
Poore can only go downwards without Bennett. This is his peak. You can only slide.

Guess what?
Bennett doesn't coach most of the players in the NRL, so is it fair to say they will go backwards?

I mean is

Hannant and Stagg going backwards now that bennett isn't coaching them?
NO they're in career best form.

Your obviously a halfwit

Bazal

Post Whore
Actually I can. There is a young dragons prop. Merrin or something. Dragons fans have a high rap on him. Apparantely he will be awesome, better than Poore. Also costs 150k cheaper.

150k cheaper? So you'd pay 200k for a bloke who has played ONE FIRST GRADE GAME, but 350k is overs for an Origin player? :lol: Dumb, dumb troll...where were the life guards for the gene pool the day you were conceived...

Last edited:

ParraFan09

Juniors
8. poore
9. M. keating
10. FFMM
11. hindy(c)
12. shack
13. mateo

14. kingston
15. cayless
16. galuvao
17. paulo/horo/latimore

what a forward pack up there as one of the comps best IMO.
PARRAMATTA EELS PREMIERS 2010

MrT

Juniors

Is Merrin even playing 1st grade? let alone state of origin.

The more you speak the bigger the hole you dig for yourself

caylo

Bench

Mate Mannah is regarded as one of the best junior props going around, played for australia all the way through his jnr days and captained them many times. BUT Prop forward is the hardest position to play on a football field and takes incredible endurance because of the constant collisions. A prop forward probably takes 3 years to adapt to the NRL from jnr teams, and they often dont start playing consistant footy until 3 years of experiance. Look at guys like Price, Asotasi, Bailey, Kite, Moimoi, Civanoceva... all these guys took a considerable amount of time before they produced consistant footy and these guys are probably regarded as the best frontrowers in the comp. Guys like Hannat, Poore, Weyman are all staring to find form but are nowhere near their peek and can easily improve.

Merrin will probably play off the bench, but no dragons supporter should expect consistant peformances from him for a while to come.

A positive from signning Poore is that it allows us to bring guys like Johnston, Allgood and other jnr forwards with big futures through with some guidance and support. At times this year Mannah has had to push forward behind a struggling pack which will limit development rather than improve it. These guys are not playing in the centres or on the wing, they are up the middle all game and will get alot of attention and will be man handled, this can destroy their confidence. Poore signning is a good one at tbh id prefer him then Lowrie, Tautai and Hauraki together (which prob cost us closer to 400K)

Hanscholo

Bench
Congratulations. Two very good signings. In particular Shackleton has massively impressed me this season, he is a real gem of a talent. I cant believe with a sh*t back row, that the Roosters would lose their one shinning light. Their retention is horrid.

ROGUE

Juniors
your comments are sta
Its reality. It's not ruining anything. If you think Poore is worth 350k then I think you are the ones with problems. Wayne Bennett knows more about him than you do and if he believes that he is worth 275k tops, then guess what? You payed overs.

Its like an auction. You end up paying in the end a hell of a lot more than the item is actually worth.
Your comments are staggering when considering the money you paid jarrod mccraken to lure him to the west tigers.To think you'd come on here on a day all of us {nearly} are happy with 2 marque signings to just tell us the bloke will fail before he's even begun is low act mate.:x

Eelementary

Post Whore

Thanks, mate. You make a lot of sense.

Good luck to the Dragons in '09 I say!

Eelementary

Post Whore
Correction: I said Poore hasn't proved himself without Bennett in my first post.

I'm not saying he will slide. It is just more likely under DA than Bennett. You could have said this no matter who Poore signed for. But 350k is a lot, especially for a 24 year old that has played only one origin.

I won't disagree with you - it's a lot of money.

But it's money we needed to spend - we have some talented young props coming through and having an established, rep-quality prop here to teach them is invaluable.

Pazza

First Grade
Congratulations. Two very good signings. In particular Shackleton has massively impressed me this season, he is a real gem of a talent. I cant believe with a sh*t back row, that the Roosters would lose their one shinning light. Their retention is horrid.

all they care about is the next big name, ala mason, anasta!

Pazza

First Grade
Mate Mannah is regarded as one of the best junior props going around, played for australia all the way through his jnr days and captained them many times. BUT Prop forward is the hardest position to play on a football field and takes incredible endurance because of the constant collisions. A prop forward probably takes 3 years to adapt to the NRL from jnr teams, and they often dont start playing consistant footy until 3 years of experiance. Look at guys like Price, Asotasi, Bailey, Kite, Moimoi, Civanoceva... all these guys took a considerable amount of time before they produced consistant footy and these guys are probably regarded as the best frontrowers in the comp. Guys like Hannat, Poore, Weyman are all staring to find form but are nowhere near their peek and can easily improve.

Merrin will probably play off the bench, but no dragons supporter should expect consistant peformances from him for a while to come.

A positive from signning Poore is that it allows us to bring guys like Johnston, Allgood and other jnr forwards with big futures through with some guidance and support. At times this year Mannah has had to push forward behind a struggling pack which will limit development rather than improve it. These guys are not playing in the centres or on the wing, they are up the middle all game and will get alot of attention and will be man handled, this can destroy their confidence. Poore signning is a good one at tbh id prefer him then Lowrie, Tautai and Hauraki together (which prob cost us closer to 400K)

the amazing part about Mannah is that he hasnt been brought into a dominate pack, he has come into a struggling pack and exceled! I think this is going to help him interms of leadership and resilience well into the future.