What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

End of Season Tournament

Pistol

Coach
Well ladies and gents

Its an interesting topic

Previous seasons has seen the Tri Nations and last season the World Cup of F7s

For this season, what should it be?

The Quad Nations to mirror the real tournament?

Or shall we have a different one?

Up to you, lets nut it out.

Shall we have an invitational tourny with a few selected nations battling for a trophy?

let me hear your thoughts

The selected nations sounds like an alright idea. I saw how you guys did the World Cup with people setting up country teams, I like how it was done. Whichever way I'm a keen participant.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Quad nations includes a country we've never had before in F7's I believe.

Shall we have Aus, NZ, GB and then Rest of The World as the fourth nation maybe?

The Quad nations includes a country we've never had before in F7's I believe.

Shall we have Aus, NZ, GB and then Rest of The World as the fourth nation maybe?

It's not a bad thought. I'm sure there would be some people going in the French side, but you never know. The important thing is to have four strong competing nations I suppose.

Titanic

First Grade
Last year's World Cup champions PNG may have something to say about that, after all they are current World Champions while the All-Asia bid is still smarting at missing out last year too.

Pistol

Coach
and the pendulum swings back to the undecided

a bit more discussion is required i believe

bartman

Immortal
My input... I like he idea of a four-way tournie, to again mirror what is happening in the real world.

I agree with the suggestion to make it 3v3 with 2 subs per team/match. That should probably mean each team should aim for 7 players in their squad to cover the multiple matches.

As for the teams themselves... Aust, NZ, and GB&I seem like no-brainers, as they have all competed in F7s tests before and rustled up team numbers OK, and are in the real thing.

As for the fourth team... maybe a Rest Of The World side instead of just France is a solution (as Madunit says). With keen players nominating which parts they are nominally representing within the ROTW side, advantage being ROTW are also currently engaged in a rep F7s match, and seem to have rustled up numbers OK.

So long as GB&I and ROTW each get 7 players coming forward for a squad (or a bare minimum of 5 that play in all games), then you'll have a successful tournie imo. But if you go with France instead of ROTW for realism, then it will still pretty much involve the same numbers, probably the same 5 or 7 players, and have the same effect anyway...

Pistol

Coach
food for thought bart

some who played for PNG are either playing for Aust or other nations. PNG are the World Champs so as Titanic pointed out, they deserve time in the minutes at the discussion table

bartman

Immortal
some who played for PNG are either playing for Aust or other nations. PNG are the World Champs so as Titanic pointed out, they deserve time in the minutes at the discussion table
Fair enough.

I guess even international F7s suffers from the same eligibility issues as the real thing :lol:

Amadean

Juniors
Even as a proud member of the victorious Kumuls (though most definitely not the glorious captain) I have doubts regarding the viability of another World Cup fixture.

The competition dragged notably towards the end, with the final celebrations being muted and incomplete. A 4-Nations tourney may overcome some of these issues, but with a postulated 3v3 format the issue may continue mar the season ender.

Warm bodies are always the problem and I reckon that the end of season comp shouldn't be discussed in terms of matching with RL or hat-tipping to we glorious PNGers so much as it should be in terms of activity, enthusiasm and glory.

If 3v3 is the previous, and 5v5 the benchmark, perhaps we should be thinking about either decreasing (pairs? singles?) or increasing (Half of F7s totality vs. Rest) team depth.

Titanic

First Grade
I endorse Amadean's sentiments. The end of the WC was anti-climatic to say the least. I also support his suggestion of considering a format change that could become a part of the annual calendar.

We don't need to mirror the 'mother' sport as we are generally stronger, braver and better informed than they are (particularly at administrative level)... with due respect to all the F7's community, I will grant that they are probably fitter.... lol.

Titanic

First Grade
In discussion with tits&tans, how about this:

Marking the Seventh Anniversary of F7's (I know its the eighth season) why not 7 teams of 7 run-on players (no reserves) over 7 days (seeded knock-out format with last year's world champions having the bye or Marauders being the 8th team celebrating eight seasons of F7's)?

With Refs v Players as an entrée or ladies v gents or Premiers v the Rest and so on.... ho hum.

Last edited:
In discussion with tits&tans, how about this:

Marking the Seventh Anniversary of F7's (I know its the eighth season) why not 7 teams of 7 run-on players (no reserves) over 7 days (seeded knock-out format with last year's world champions having the bye or Marauders being the 8th team celebrating eight seasons of F7's)?

With Refs v Players as an entrée or ladies v gents or Premiers v the Rest and so on.... ho hum.

I like where you are going with that. It would be difficult maybe to get that many players, but having some interesting teams like that (such as a refs team, a ladies team...maybe even a rookies team etc.)

Latest posts