What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Even this early, is there only 3 who can win?

isaiah

Bench
I wouldn't say there's only 3 teams that can win it but there's at least 3 or 4 teams already who won't be winning it. Broncos will hit a bad patch at some point, probably when they get a few injuries.

And of course as usual someone will make a late run, be bigged up by the media and then fail epically.

be interesting this weekend with broncs having 5 or 6 backing up and storm having their 4 big guns equally weary

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
For mine, the Tigers best is good enough to beat anyone, but they don't even know if they're going to produce it until it starts coming off.

Saints are the standouts for mine. They play at the pace the opposition does and either blow em away early as they did yestrday or get em in the last 20 as they have done for 3 seasons. They play within themselves and can score points when they need to. They win this year, which looks a very good chance, and they go down as a truly great team in history. They are changing the game in terms of preparation and toghness and have set a remarkably high benchmark for other clubs to strive to. They are honestly makning some teams look like the behind the times amateur set ups that they are. Long may it continue & long may other teams be forced to improve to match them.

I give the Storm organisation massive kudos for going as well as they are this year and any team with Cronk, Slater and Smith (and Widdop) is capable of winning the premiership. They are a good team, but not great any more.

Same goes for the Broncos. I see them as Saints in 09 & they just play exactly the same. Funny how they don't get maligned for it in the media though. Their attack is pop gun at this point but they defend like champions. I believe, at this point, they are the obstacle to Saints winning back to back titles and it will be a Saints v Broncos GF.

beave

Coach
Good to see we don't get a mention from most people..............................

AuDragon

Juniors
Good to see we don't get a mention from most people..............................
Yep, definitely flying under the radar. Although beating Manly to deservedly take 4th spot on the ladder may increase the blip's strenght...
Definitely a force to take into account for mine.

Origin period will tell where Storm and Broncos really are, as those two teams will most likely suffer most from the rep season.

Is it time to open a "Broncos rorting the cap" thread yet btw? We do have 6 Internationals after all! :roll:

Charlie124

First Grade

Not only am i ok with this, i actually prefer it. The last thing i want is for the media and footy personalities to jump on our bandwagon and talk us up as premiership contenders. We just dont need that kind of distraction right now. All i want is for us to quietly go about our business and let them all keep talking about the Broncos, Storm, Dragons, Manly, Tigers etc. etc... I want our club to have a "we dont care what the other teams are doing, we only care what we're doing" attitude, and so far thats what ive seen from us.

DecoyRunner

Juniors
Broncos will push for a spot in the grand final qualifiers, but their inexperience will hurt them if they meet the Storm or Dragons. I'm just happy they'll be playing finals footy again (only need seven out of sixteen from here on out).

Cowboys and Bulldogs will be up there as well but I still haven't seen a side capable of beating St. Merge for the title.

Last edited:
It is very early still but I think it is down to 4: Dragons, Storm, Broncos and Tigers (if they get the majority of thier injured players back).

Dragons , Storm and Broncos are the form teams and should finish in the top 4 giving each of them a good chance.

A fit Tigers side can beat any team and if they are in the top 8 at the end of the year every side will be looking over their shoulder at them. Injuries may mean that we don't make the top 4. The blooding of young players like Woods, Fifita, BMM and Dwyer (getting far greater minutes due to injuries to other players) due to the current high injury toll could really benefit the Tigers come finals time. I think all the injured players bar Lawrence will be back within the next 2-3 weeks.

Of the others the only 2 they may have a slight chance are the Bulldogs and Manly, the rest are just making up the numbers.

Gaba

First Grade
interesting that the dragons havnt played anyone in the top 5 and only 2 top 8 teams so far
storm and broncos havent as well

the broncos played the cowboys in game 1

storm played the cowboys when they werent in the top 5

Dragons playing the cowboys this weekend when the cowboys are in the top 5

Last edited:

anjado

Juniors
I am personally pretty interested to see how the Cowboys go against the Saints. I think if they show some mettle and produce a good performance i would put them as the team which are 5th in line.

St George are clearly favourite's Then Melbourne but Origin is the big time for them they will be missing there big 3. Brisbane are a clear 3rd. Tigers could of easily won the comp last year and are the best team in the NRL in my opinion when all goes right for them.

I think Manly are lacking depth to win the competition and i am not totally convinced by the Bulldogs halves.

_Johnsy

Referee
Tigers could of easily won the comp last year and are the best team in the NRL in my opinion when all goes right for them.
:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Quote of the year, were you serious ? Thats what makes a great team, winning when things go against you.

You could say the same thing about most teams each year.

anjado

Juniors
:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Quote of the year, were you serious ? Thats what makes a great team, winning when things go against you.

You could say the same thing about most teams each year.

The referring in the Tigers vs Dragons match in the first half was a disgrace. St George's forwards are still a problem i wouldn't take them in a game against a physical forward pack.

You say mine is the quote of the year when you have morons saying St George could beat Queensland.

InThatNumber

Juniors
I am personally pretty interested to see how the Cowboys go against the Saints. I think if they show some mettle and produce a good performance i would put them as the team which are 5th in line.
I hope this game lives up to the billing. With so many players backing up I expect the quality to drop off. This game would be one of the games of the season so far if it wasn't scheduled two days after the first rep games for the year. But these two meeting in the finals at full strength, would certainly be worth watching. Go the Dragons!

Jason Maher

Immortal
Meh... opposition supporters looking for any pretext to declare that we are really a crap team cleverly disguised as a good one. What's new?

Hutty1986

Immortal
The referring in the Tigers vs Dragons match in the first half was a disgrace. St George's forwards are still a problem i wouldn't take them in a game against a physical forward pack.

You say mine is the quote of the year when you have morons saying St George could beat Queensland.

The refereeing??? You mean the two questionable penalties that piggy-backed the Tigers upfield and lead to their tries?

Nothing wrong with our forwards, they're just about the best performing pack in the comp and have been for two years!