What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFS! Quade Cooper in secret talks with Parramatta Eels

otori

Juniors
Union 5/8 is like a league halfback. First receiver who calls the shots and directs the teams attack. To make him 5/8 in league would be a bigger learning curve!

(union halfback = league hooker)

Are you sure?

He went to Sydney Grammar from years 7-12 I'm pretty sure - and they don't play league.... He was as Aus schoolboy for 2 years as well.

He went to Churchie in Brisbane and finished a few years after pocock and hunt. They don't play league at churchie either though

i wonder if theres any chance the nrl could throw some coin in for this deal the afl seems to have money to burn signing up our players and this will be a real coup for rugby league if it comes off

Parraren

Bench
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/p...-to-switch-codes/story-e6frf9if-1225905590961

Parramatta Eels offer Quade Cooper $1.5m to switch codes

• Peter Badel
  • August 16, 2010 12:00AM

149581-quade-cooper.jpg

Reds Quade Cooper and Peter Hynes show their delight at Suncorp Stadium Picture: David Kapernick Source: The Courier-Mail

PARRAMATTA will offer a massive $1.5 million contract to Wallabies playmaker Quade Cooper.

As Cooper prepares to enter Wallabies camp today before their trip to South Africa, the Eels are hoping a three-year, $500,000-a-season deal will convince the Queenslander to switch codes.
The 22-year-old has told Parramatta he is interested in joining the club next season after a meeting on Thursday night with Eels officials Paul Osborne and Roy Spagnolo and fullback Jarryd Hayne.
Cooper's manager Richard Colreavy yesterday confirmed the Test five-eighth wanted to explore his options in the NRL.
Quitting rugby with a World Cup on the horizon would be a brave call by Cooper, but the Eels' formal offer is putting huge pressure on the ARU to improve its two-year top-up component.
ARU boss John O'Neill said he was confident Cooper would not walk out on the code.
Parramatta chairman Spagnolo said the Eels would have no issues fitting Cooper into the $4.2 million salary cap next season, following the loss of Feleti Mateo and Krisnan Inu and the impending retirement of veteran prop Nathan Cayless.
"Obviously we wouldn't be making an offer if we weren't confident of fitting him in the cap," Spagnolo said.
"We've got a figure in our head and we won't be going above that. We're not going to destroy the whole team to try and get Quade Cooper."
The ARU is hoping for an answer from Cooper by Friday, although Osborne said Parramatta's offer would be non-negotiable.
"It can't be about money for Quade," Osborne said.
"If Quade wants to play for us, I'll put an offer to him for three or four years."
ENGLISHMAN Gareth Ellis has bagged a second-half double to lead the Wests Tigers to a runaway 43-18 victory against Penrith at Campbelltown yesterday.
Ellis terrorised the Panthers' right-side defence, scything through to score in the 58th and 70th minutes to ensure the Tigers' top four hopes remained on track.
Interchange forward Andrew Fifita also scored two.
- with AAP

he won't come, we'll only get a couple of fringe players for next year and maybe a has-been. I think our squad will be very low on depth next season and we'll have to bring some juniors thru.
prepare for a lean couple of years.

Parraren

Bench
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...ooper-to-the-nrl/story-e6freoof-1225905599631

Parramatta dangle $1.5m carrot to tempt Quade Cooper to the NRL

256072-quade-cooper.jpg

TORN: Wallabies rugby union star Quade Cooper is pondering switching to the Parramatta Eels rugby league. Picture: Jono Searle Source: The Sunday Mail (Qld)

PARRAMATTA will table a bumper $1.5 million contract to Quade Cooper as the NRL club turns up the heat on the Australian Rugby Union in the cross-code battle for the Wallaby star.

As Cooper prepares to enter Wallabies camp today ahead of their trip to South Africa, the Eels are raising the stakes, with the club hoping a three-year, $500,000-a-season deal will convince the Queensland maestro to embark on a stunning code defection.
While ARU boss John O'Neill is confident Cooper will not walk out on the code, the 22-year-old has told Parramatta he is interested in joining the club next season after a meeting last Thursday night with Eels officials Paul Osborne and Roy Spagnolo, and star fullback Jarryd Hayne.
Cooper's manager Richard Colreavy yesterday confirmed the Test five-eighth wanted to explore his options in the NRL.
Quitting rugby with a World Cup on the horizon would be a brave call by Cooper, but the Eels' formal offer is putting huge pressure on the ARU to improve its two-year top-up component.

Parramatta chairman Spagnolo said the Eels would have no issues fitting Cooper into the $4.2 million salary cap next season following the loss of Feleti Mateo and Krisnan Inu and the impending retirement of veteran prop Nathan Cayless.
"Obviously we wouldn't be making an offer if we weren't confident of fitting him in the cap," Spagnolo said.
"We've got a figure in our head and we won't be going above that. We're not going to destroy the whole team to try and get Quade Cooper. Our offer will be in line with the guidelines of the salary cap but we have got some money to spend.
"It would be fantastic for our club, the sponsors and the code if we could get Quade.
"He is a gifted kid and obviously union is desperate to keep him, so it would be a coup if we could sign him."
It is understood Parramatta's annual base offer is $400,000, plus a $100,000 third-party deal.
With bonuses and match payments for Tests and Super 15 games next season, Cooper stands to earn up to $600,000 in rugby. But the Cooper camp is dissatisfied with his base salary, which is worth about $360,000, including the ARU's proposed top-up.

Eels chief executive Osborne will continue talks with Colreavy tomorrow. The pair has discussed financial terms, with Parramatta to formalise their offer this week.
The ARU is hoping for an answer from Cooper by Friday, although Osborne said Parramatta's offer would be non-negotiable.
"We'll pay him what we think he's worth, but we won't get into a bidding war," he said.

caylo

Bench
Wow... they have made a formal offer which does not occur after just enquiring. ATM we would probably more likley that he stay in RU but if he comes to parramatta we will be very hard to beat. Imagine this guy with the 10 meter rule, he is the Jarryd Hayne of RU tbh

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Wow... they have made a formal offer which does not occur after just enquiring. ATM we would probably more likley that he stay in RU but if he comes to parramatta we will be very hard to beat. Imagine this guy with the 10 meter rule, he is the Jarryd Hayne of RU tbh

I have concerning offer so much for a unproven player who has never played league. Plus I have doubts if he could handle the defensive workload.

In saying that he is young and I am happy to change my opinion. Hey Cayo it seems you may watch a bit of union, do you really think he is worht $500k and could he successfully make the change from union to league ? also what is his defense like ?

Parraren

Bench
I've spoken to a few rah rah tragics over the weekend and they've said he's a bit like a combination of Benji Marshall & Lockyer - both in attack and defense.

caylo

Bench
I have concerning offer so much for a unproven player who has never played league. Plus I have doubts if he could handle the defensive workload.

In saying that he is young and I am happy to change my opinion. Hey Cayo it seems you may watch a bit of union, do you really think he is worht $500k and could he successfully make the change from union to league ? also what is his defense like ?

I watch alot of different sports but none more then RL and cricket. Matt Giteau was considered the best fly half in the world at one point but Cooper has pushed him to inside centre and tbh he reminds me alot of Thurston in his style. He runs to the line and has a very good passing game plus his clearing kicking game is probably the best in australia RU, which is more difficult in RU then League IMO.

He has good instincts and his main down fall will be his short kicking game IMO, in RU they become impatient and kick early because its very easy to turn over the ball and he might kick alot on 2-4th tackles early on (notice even Gasnier and Lote have fallen into this trap)

IMO his defence will be more then adequate (better then KK or Mortz) he is actually a decent defender and after defening at inside centre for alot of his early football which is pretty demanding.

If Quade Cooper came to parramatta he would improve the team, is he worth 500K, well maybe to parramatta considering our curicumstances but he wont be a 500K halfback in his first season.

caylo

Bench
Eels to offer record $850,000 for Cooper

PARRAMATTA are prepared to make Quade Cooper the highest-paid player in the NRL with a deal worth twice as much as the one tabled by the Australian Rugby Union to keep the Wallabies star.
Having missed out on Melbourne halfback Cooper Cronk after the Storm released Greg Inglis to Brisbane last week, the Eels are willing to offer the same $850,000 deal to Cooper if he decides to switch codes next season.
Not only would the Parramatta deal make Cooper the highest-paid player in the NRL, it would also dwarf the $400,000 offer put forward by the ARU. Cooper, considered Australia's best player and recently named the Super 14 player of the year, is thought to be insulted by the ARU's offer of a $100,000 pay rise to help the Wallabies try to win the World Cup next season.

Without Cooper leading the attack, few believe Australia have a realistic chance of lifting the Webb Ellis trophy in New Zealand. And the immediate sentiment after last week's 20-10 loss to the All Blacks in Christchurch was that the Wallabies might have ended New Zealand's recent stranglehold over them if Cooper had been available.
Remarkably, Cooper is far from the highest-paid Wallabies player and his deal is understood to be worth less than $300,000 a year, with the ARU paying $110,000 on top of the $150,000 he receives from the Queensland Reds.
The ARU offer would be enhanced because players have the opportunity to earn $12,500 each Test but those payments are not guaranteed – as Cooper discovered during his recent two-match ban.
Eels officials are believed to have told him he would have the chance to earn match payments from representative fixtures on top of their massive offer, with State of Origin players set to be granted an increase to $20,000 a game.
Cooper has a league background, and is open about his desire to test himself in the NRL, but he also wants to play in next year's World Cup. He is understood to have ruled out a move to France, where he could command even more money in the Top 14 rugby competition, but is seriously weighing up a switch of codes after almost signing with the Storm in 2007.
Parramatta officials believe he would form a lethal attacking combination with star fullback Jarryd Hayne, who joined chief executive Paul Osborne and chairman Roy Spagnolo at a meeting with Cooper in Brisbane last Thursday night.
The Eels have been looking to recruit a top-calibre halves partner for rookie Daniel Mortimer, and are cashed up after losing captain Nathan Cayless (retirement), five-eighth Kris Keating (Bulldogs), lock Feleti Mateo and centre Krisnan Inu (Warriors), while winger Eric Grothe is also unlikely to play for the club next season.
After missing out on Cronk, they believe Cooper would fit the bill, and Wests Tigers winger Lote Tuqiri yesterday backed his former Wallabies teammate to make a successful transition to the NRL.
"I think he would cross codes easily," Tuqiri said. "He is a natural talent and is someone who plays off the cuff so I think he would be well suited to league."
Not all within the Eels camp are certain of the impact Cooper would make on the NRL should he switch codes. Parramatta co-captain Nathan Hindmarsh yesterday told Triple M radio: ‘‘I’d like to stick with someone in the league ranks, to be honest.’’
But the Eels’ other leader, Nathan Cayless, took a different view, insisting Cooper’s recruitment would be a positive for the code. ‘‘I’ve seen him play, and he’s an absolutely outstanding talent,’’ Cayless told BigPond Sports. ‘‘He’s had some great games for the Wallabies, in a couple of those matches against South Africa, and he played well for the Reds this year as well ... we’ll just have to see what happens with that.’’

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-record-850000-for-cooper-20100815-125ba.html

This is clearly a beat up IMO. No one is worth 850K, he may stand to earn so much after 3rd party deals and NRL top up + match payments if he plays rep footy but i doubt parramatta will commit more then 500K of the salary cap for his signature. If he does stand to earn this much i say we would be favourites to sign him because there is no way RU can afford to match that anymore, they are nearly bust as it is.

Gaffman

Juniors
Mighty inconsistent journalism going around... 500k... 850k... thats no small difference.

Agreed, nobody is worth 850, where does a figure like that even come from?

As for 500k... f**k it, why not. Lets give a young and clearly talented playmaker a go... because the alternative is....?

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
David Gallop is ready to help steal Quade Cooper
Brent Read and Bret Harris
The Australian
August 16, 2010

THE race for Quade Cooper's signature heated up yesterday.

The NRL revealed it was prepared to sound out sponsors on behalf of the Wallabies playmaker on the condition he was serious about switching codes.

Cooper's manager, Richard Colreavy, responded to the development last night by offering to meet NRL chief executive David Gallop to demonstrate his client's genuine interest in playing rugby league.

Cooper, among the most exciting players in the Wallabies' squad and a key figure in Australian coach Robbie Deans' plans for next year's World Cup in New Zealand, is out of contract at the end of the year.

The ARU has made Cooper an offer, but he is dissatisfied with it and is exploring other options.

Cooper, who has had a breakthrough season with the Queensland Reds and the Wallabies, is seeking renumeration that reflects his new status in the game, while the ARU argues the 22-year-old needs to pay his dues before commanding top dollar.

Colreavy, an accredited NRL agent, has been in contact with Parramatta over a potential switch to rugby league next year.

The Eels are unlikely to match the dollars on offer in union without the support of third parties although there were reports last night the club was ready to table a three-year $500,000 a season deal.

That's where the NRL's involvement could be a deal-breaker.

"It would be great to see him playing rugby league, but there's too many precedents, particularly where players have threatened to go to rugby union, for us to go round playing with the salary cap now," Gallop said.

"Like any player we can look for roles with our sponsors, but we're not about to start assisting clubs outside the salary cap with chasing rugby union players.

"If he seriously wants to look at rugby league, we would do what we could.

"We certainly wouldn't be breaking any salary cap rules.

"We wouldn't be making an exception for him over other players. I'm happy to have a chat with his agent if he is genuine." Colreavy was encouraged by Gallop's position.

"I'll meet with David Gallop tomorrow," Colreavy said. "We are in negotiations with a rugby league club and I'll contact David Gallop if that is his stance."

Although the NRL has made it clear it will not directly pay players, it has been willing in the past to talk to its sponsors on their behalf.

Gallop has previously been involved in negotiations involving former Newcastle captain Andrew Johns, St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier and Brisbane centre Israel Folau.

It failed to stop Gasnier and Folau leaving the game, although Gasnier returned to the NRL this year after a stint with French rugby union club Stade Francais.

Cooper represents a different scenario, as the NRL would be poaching him from rugby union rather than trying to retain one of its own players.

Given Cooper's importance to the Wallabies, his signing would represent a coup for the NRL on and off the field.

Rugby union and AFL have poached rugby league players, partly for marketing purposes, and there is a view that it is time for the NRL to return the favour.

Until the advent of professional rugby union in 1995, rugby league clubs regularly raided the Wallabies' best players, but the traffic has since gone the other way.

Several former league players have returned in recent years, most notably Lote Tuqiri, Mat Rogers and Wendell Sailor, but it has been more than a decade since a high-profile rugby union star switched codes.

Former Test second-rower Garrick Morgan was the last Wallaby star to switch.

He played two games with the South Queensland Crushers before returning to rugby union.

Link: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...eal-quade-cooper/story-e6frg7mf-1225905631453

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
David Gallop is ready to help
steal Quade Cooper

Brent Read and Bret Harris
The Australian
August 16, 2010

THE race for Quade Cooper's signature heated up yesterday.

The NRL revealed it was prepared to sound out sponsors on behalf of the Wallabies playmaker on the condition he was serious about switching codes.

Cooper's manager, Richard Colreavy, responded to the development last night by offering to meet NRL chief executive David Gallop to demonstrate his client's genuine interest in playing rugby league.

Cooper, among the most exciting players in the Wallabies' squad and a key figure in Australian coach Robbie Deans' plans for next year's World Cup in New Zealand, is out of contract at the end of the year.

The ARU has made Cooper an offer, but he is dissatisfied with it and is exploring other options.

Cooper, who has had a breakthrough season with the Queensland Reds and the Wallabies, is seeking renumeration that reflects his new status in the game, while the ARU argues the 22-year-old needs to pay his dues before commanding top dollar.

Colreavy, an accredited NRL agent, has been in contact with Parramatta over a potential switch to rugby league next year.

The Eels are unlikely to match the dollars on offer in union without the support of third parties although there were reports last night the club was ready to table a three-year $500,000 a season deal.

That's where the NRL's involvement could be a deal-breaker.

"It would be great to see him playing rugby league, but there's too many precedents, particularly where players have threatened to go to rugby union, for us to go round playing with the salary cap now," Gallop said.

"Like any player we can look for roles with our sponsors, but we're not about to start assisting clubs outside the salary cap with chasing rugby union players.

"If he seriously wants to look at rugby league, we would do what we could.

"We certainly wouldn't be breaking any salary cap rules.

"We wouldn't be making an exception for him over other players. I'm happy to have a chat with his agent if he is genuine." Colreavy was encouraged by Gallop's position.

"I'll meet with David Gallop tomorrow," Colreavy said. "We are in negotiations with a rugby league club and I'll contact David Gallop if that is his stance."

Although the NRL has made it clear it will not directly pay players, it has been willing in the past to talk to its sponsors on their behalf.

Gallop has previously been involved in negotiations involving former Newcastle captain Andrew Johns, St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier and Brisbane centre Israel Folau.

It failed to stop Gasnier and Folau leaving the game, although Gasnier returned to the NRL this year after a stint with French rugby union club Stade Francais.

Cooper represents a different scenario, as the NRL would be poaching him from rugby union rather than trying to retain one of its own players.

Given Cooper's importance to the Wallabies, his signing would represent a coup for the NRL on and off the field.

Rugby union and AFL have poached rugby league players, partly for marketing purposes, and there is a view that it is time for the NRL to return the favour.

Until the advent of professional rugby union in 1995, rugby league clubs regularly raided the Wallabies' best players, but the traffic has since gone the other way.

Several former league players have returned in recent years, most notably Lote Tuqiri, Mat Rogers and Wendell Sailor, but it has been more than a decade since a high-profile rugby union star switched codes.

Former Test second-rower Garrick Morgan was the last Wallaby star to switch.

He played two games with the South Queensland Crushers before returning to rugby union.

Link: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...eal-quade-cooper/story-e6frg7mf-1225905631453

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
From the quote in Caylo's post.
He is understood to have ruled out a move to France, where he could command even more money in the Top 14 rugby competition, but is seriously weighing up a switch of codes after almost signing with the Storm in 2007
I wonder how much over the cap that scum club would've been willing to go.
The bastards still wanted Mason last off season too.

Granted Quade Cooper wouldn't have been worth 500k back then, they may have paid it though, or something high anyway. Then add Mason for this year.

They deserve all the punishment they got, maybe more. There is cheating the salary cap, but they would've been just taking the piss.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I still suspect that this is a distraction. But there is an awful lot of noise coming out of the club saying that this is legit. Its almost too good to be true and this would most certainly be a positive for 3P if they feel they are under threat with the elections next year.

boxhead

First Grade
And no-one thought this would happen....at least it would be legal though, like they have done with the Brisbane Broncos and Greg Inglis. Of course though, like the Inglis situation, it will raise eyebrows....but at least a Sydney club will lay claim to such a thing as well now.

boxhead

First Grade
If 3P pull this off....it doesn't matter about what else they have done, put it that way. It is looking increasingly likely now, day by day. I think the longer he leaves the decision the more he sways towards the Eels. If you notice, apparently our base contract is $400,000-$500,000; the rest is third-party deals, so you people don't have to worry; he would only cost $500,000 maximum on our salary cap.
Gallop has pretty much said they will support the Eels with this through third-party deals, much like they did with Greg Inglis to Brisbane.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
another slow news day

Headline says Gallop is ready to help, article says there is nothing he can do apart from talk to Cooper.

A nothing article.

Latest posts