What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finch

colmac75

Juniors
All I can say is, if he does sign, then see how it goes. Who knows with a decent forward pack for him to work off he could do some damage. But also remember it will be Tim Smith doing the general play making with Finch playing 2 off the ruck.

JOB 3:14

Juniors
What have we got to lose, i just hope we havent made way for anyone else to get this guy and that this is just an opportunistic purchase because we lack a little depth.

yy_cheng

Coach
Maroubra Eel said:
Finch has been our number one priority all along.

All the talk about Lyon was just a smoke screen.

I remember a rumour about looking at a player that wasn't off contract.

So you have some justification there in your post. ;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
It seems to me people are desperately clutching at straws to try and justify this. Good forbid we actually have opinions of our own and question the decisions of the club.

who's stopping you from achieving that?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/eels-make-a-play-for-unwanted-finch/2006/07/19/1153166454646.html

Eels make a play for unwanted Finch

Greg Prichard
July 20, 2006

PARRAMATTA chief executive Denis Fitzgerald last night confirmed his club's interest in Brett Finch, saying incoming coach Michael Hagan was keen on signing the Sydney Roosters utility.

Fitzgerald said a reported suggestion that he was against the Eels picking up Finch was incorrect and that the club was prepared to negotiate with the player on Hagan's recommendation.

"The situation is that the Roosters have given Brett permission to talk to other clubs as long as he goes back to them before he makes a decision," Fitzgerald said last night.

"Our coach for next year, Michael Hagan, believes Brett is the goods and would like to have him on board and if it can be worked out then we would like to make that happen.

"Michael has had a bit to do with Brett in the past, when he was a lower-grade coach at Canberra and Brett was coming through there.

"So we are interested, but at this stage Brett is still contracted to the Roosters for next year, so we would have to work something out with them."

The Roosters are prepared to let Finch go a year before his contract runs up if he can arrange a deal elsewhere. The Eels are hot favourites to get him.

Parramatta, whose five-eighth, John Morris, has signed for Wests Tigers next season, see Finch as a five-eighth, playing outside promising young halfback Tim Smith.

Finch, who played halfback for NSW in the first two games of this year's State of Origin, does not figure in the long-term plans for the Roosters. They have recently used Josh Lewis at halfback with utility Craig Wing at hooker.

Finch could land a long-term deal with Parramatta now, as opposed to seeing out his last year with the Roosters and gambling on securing a good deal somewhere else then.

Parramatta, meanwhile, have been saddened by the death of one of their former greats, Billy Rayner. Former Kangaroo Rayner, who was 73, played 203 first-grade games for the Eels and was a long-serving patron of the leagues club.

"I was very close to Billy and I'm very sorry at the news," said Eels chairman Alan Overton. "He was always a magnificent supporter of the club that he played for. We've lost a tremendous man."

Meanwhile, Queensland Rugby League managing director Ross Livermore will meet with Maroons coach Mal Meninga early next week to discuss the Maroons coaching job for 2007.

Meninga has said he may not be able to continue in the job because of business commitments, but Livermore hopes to convince him to stay on.

Queensland, under Meninga, came from 1-0 down in this year's State of Origin series against NSW to win 2-1.

"We've got two games of the series in Brisbane next year and we're hoping that schedule will make it easier on Mal," Livermore said.

"There won't be as much travelling as there was this year, when the deciding game was in Melbourne, so hopefully he'll look at things and want to stay involved.

"We would love him to do it again and I'm sure he would enjoy the challenge. That's why he got involved in the first place.

"It's just about fitting things in with other commitments and I'm optimistic Mal will want to try to do that."

If Meninga does stay in charge he will be opposite Graham Murray again, with the board of the NSWRL set to reappoint the Cowboys coach despite the Blues losing the series.

And Coal & Allied yesterday announced it would remain as major sponsor of Newcastle next year. The company came to the rescue of the Knights midway through last season, when the club was struggling financially.

:crazy:

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Finch could land a long-term deal with Parramatta now, as opposed to seeing out his last year with the Roosters and gambling on securing a good deal somewhere else then.

LONG TERM?

I bet Blake Green is over the moon about all this. Unless they have plans to get rid of Timmy next year then Blake might as well ask for a release now, though I wouldn't rule out both of them leaving next year and Finch becoming our halfback.

If Finch got a one year deal with a second year option in the club's favour then it would be a good signing but signing him up long term is a joke. He's a current Origin player being released by a club worse off than us.. doesn't that say anything to dingbat Denis?

Gronk

Staff member
ParraDude_Jay said:
LONG TERM?

I bet Blake Green is over the moon about all this. Unless they have plans to get rid of Timmy next year then Blake might as well ask for a release now, though I wouldn't rule out both of them leaving next year and Finch becoming our halfback.

If Finch got a one year deal with a second year option in the club's favour then it would be a good signing but signing him up long term is a joke. He's a current Origin player being released by a club worse off than us.. doesn't that say anything to dingbat Denis?

I guess Parra have to make decisions that best ensure success. There is no guarantee that a player who excells in PL will be able to step up and perform at the highest level in the NRL. Brett Delaney and Joel Reddy are examples that immediateley come to mind. Tim Smith & Blake Green have collectively played bugger all grade football in the big picture and to put all your money on those two rookies is probably not a wise business decision. I have no reason to disagree with Hagan's thinking on this one.

Dragons_Head

Juniors
didn't the rorters try finch at 5/8 after they signed firman, can't remember that going to well. what's the chance of timmy playing 5/8 instead. but i do feel for blake with all this talk of signing finch going on, must be unsettling.

strider

Post Whore
forward pass said:
One positive thing about Finch - the referees always give him a really good go!!;-)
knowing our lucky daddy will quit next year :( ..... not that I am suggesting anything :sarcasm:

Utey

Coach
Dragons_Head said:
didn't the rorters try finch at 5/8 after they signed firman, can't remember that going to well. what's the chance of timmy playing 5/8 instead. but i do feel for blake with all this talk of signing finch going on, must be unsettling.

yeah he was being groomed there, but tbh when Freddy left those were pretty big shoes to fill. I see it like this, all this expectation has lead to him trying too hard! Pressure for the Roosters fans whom are probably just if not more passionate then Parra supporters has all lead to his downfall. A new club, and a fresh start is just what he needs.

Daneel

Bench
<UPtheEELS> said:
yeah he was being groomed there, but tbh when Freddy left those were pretty big shoes to fill. I see it like this, all this expectation has lead to him trying too hard! Pressure for the Roosters fans whom are probably just if not more passionate then Parra supporters has all lead to his downfall. A new club, and a fresh start is just what he needs.

Good call, i don't like Finch but i agree that a lot of his poor performances are caused from trying to hard and a new club could be just the thing he needs to turn his career around.

Latest posts