What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GAME DAY vs The St Merged scum.

chewsta

First Grade
Considering half the spine was missing including Moyza at the last minute, we never really looked like losing. We were in cruise control most of the game which can be expected after the brutal last few weeks of Penrith, cowboys, Melbourne and an extra time game against south's. The boys are still getting the wins which shows a mental toughness we usually have not had in years gone by.

I watched the game with a house full of dragons supporters. Made it even sweeter that it was my house and at full time I could rub it in even more by telling them all to piss off back to loserville.

Chimp

Bench
I have zero stats to back this up (so I might be completely wrong), just gut feel - but I reckon we're always terrible when we score an easy try really early in the game. It's like they think 'how easy is this, it'll be a cricket score today' and start to play with no respect for the opposition, and start trying to score off every half break - hence the mistakes.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I have zero stats to back this up (so I might be completely wrong), just gut feel - but I reckon we're always terrible when we score an easy try really early in the game. It's like they think 'how easy is this, it'll be a cricket score today' and start to play with no respect for the opposition, and start trying to score off every half break - hence the mistakes.

Agree 100%. Wrote it in the game day thread as well.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
It’s obvious that Fitz let’s them do what they have been doing cos there is no way they go against him in year one. It’s a clear live or die by the plan with no regrets.

Frenzy.

Immortal
It’s obvious that Fitz let’s them do what they have been doing cos there is no way they go against him in year one. It’s a clear live or die by the plan with no regrets.

Ippy Style attack. You know those Walkers didn't believe in error counts and completions. I suspect that Fitz isn't that fussed either. He says the right things about it in pressers but I reckon it's ducks and drakes.

It's why the D is so strong. It has to be to be able to get the allowance of freedom with the footy

Chimp

Bench
Ippy Style attack. You know those Walkers didn't believe in error counts and completions. I suspect that Fitz isn't that fussed either. He says the right things about it in pressers but I reckon it's ducks and drakes.

It's why the D is so strong. It has to be to be able to get the allowance of freedom with the footy
Hmm might be something in this, but even if it is the case, I’m pretty sure Fitz will still have some expectations around there being a time and a place to push the envelope. 8 points up, running down the clock down, having just made a break to clear your line after a fair bit of pressure isn’t the time to be throwing the ball around willy nilly, even under Walker-ball.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Hmm might be something in this, but even if it is the case, I’m pretty sure Fitz will still have some expectations around there being a time and a place to push the envelope. 8 points up, running down the clock down, having just made a break to clear your line after a fair bit of pressure isn’t the time to be throwing the ball around willy nilly, even under Walker-ball.

Add to this, The Sharks have small forwards. Would likely not be competitive playing the game to the current meta of through the guts, through the guts, through the guts. They'd get hammered and gassed pretty quick and have little fuel left for defence. So, what do you do when you want to have a D base to your game? Make a style that gasses the other teams forwards through running them around is one answer. Use the back 5 as the go forward men, which is common, but not as emphasised as in the Sharks style. Then kick a lot. I think Hynes averages close to 400 metres a game kicking but it's not so much the metres is when he kicks. Not the tackle count but by watching and kicking when the effect of running the opp pack around will be advantageous. Turn em around.

There have been more than a handful of games this year when big packs have looked gassed against us after 50-60 minutes.

I'm sure Fitz has expectations too but I also think he is an innovator and has developed a very specific style of play to suit the best of what each individual player can bring.

He said in nearly every early press conference he doesn't want the side to stop playing footy. The style is high risk and will bring errors and I'm sure he knows that

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Yep and they routinely swing it wide on tackle 2 or 3 against what a “normal” set out of trouble looks like. Backing their defence if they make a mistake.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Yep and they routinely swing it wide on tackle 2 or 3 against what a “normal” set out of trouble looks like. Backing their defence if they make a mistake.

To the extent that they take a risk on a sin bin because they believe they can defend with 12. Brailey's 2 binnings have been right on halftime. Cant remember if there has been other binnings but there are always penalties given in that scenario. They also don't seem to do those back to back tackle restarts at any other time or any other part of the field. Its very occasional. Players will give dumb penalties occasionally but I just think the repeat sets are calculated risks which are borne out of trust and confidence