General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by OldPanther, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Panther Pete

Panther Pete Juniors

They are fair points you make and something I hadn't considered. I don't look at stats more just my observations but at times to me Tamou looks like he takes jog ups rather than hit ups certainly when compared to Leota and Tevetano but perhaps that's just because those two can run faster.

panther.mike likes this.
  2. betcats

betcats Coach

His legs are much longer, Leota in particular is probably taking two strides for every one of Jimmy's. I think this can make it look like he is just lumbering up.

Pomoz and Panther Pete like this.
  3. betcats

betcats Coach

Tamou is definitely the better defender but Leota at times can be very punishing defensively. I hazard a guess that he drives attackers back with his tackles more than Tamou. Jimmy kind of wraps guys up and then grounds to their backs whereas Moses actually hits a bit more and drives guys backwards.

Abacus and MugaB like this.
  4. MugaB

MugaB Juniors

Unfair advantage, atleast To'O looks like he is scrapping every inch for his meters, Jimmy Brings, just waltzs for them

5. BxTom

BxTom Juniors

I think that as he was dropped within a couple of days of the team honesty talk being leaked to the press he wasn't dropped for form I thought the timing was a strong statement in itself.

Tom.

6. The Realist

The Realist Juniors

7. betcats

betcats Coach

Some decent points there but some are just silly. Like point 3(we havent suffered travel fatigue) How does this matter going forward? We aren't likely to be travelling to much during the finals.

Or there reason for the storm not being at their best when we beat them is also just silly, oh they had a long bus ride before the game so of course they were not at their best. Even their excuse for the roosters was a little bit of a beat up, they were coming off a long tour of europe? really? does he mean the one game they played over there is a tour? a long tour at that? That played another trial back in Aus before round one so in any case they had been back for a while. Also he talks about the roosters new halves combo in round one but doesnt mention our own new halves combo and hooker as well.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    MugaB, kinghippo and WestyLife like this.
  8. The Realist

The Realist Juniors

The Roosters we beat in Round 1 are a completely different beast to what they are now - and they are sharp and in red hot form. In saying that, we are also a different animal, so it should be interesting. If we square up in the Preliminaries Roosters would have to be the clear favourites.

9. betcats

betcats Coach

Like you said we are a much different side since then also. Api has had time to work combos out. Jerome has come on in leaps and bounds. We started that game with Aekins at fullback and Crichton on the bench. We didnt have May or Edwards available, both have been key pieces this year and Critta is our top tryscorer.

I am more worried about the storm. We only lose to the roosters if we dont play to our potential, if we turn up and play well we will dominate field position against the roosters and beat them.

10. WestyLife

WestyLife Juniors

Even me with my concerned thought most of that was bad. Everything outside experience is irrelevant.

I'm more worried about the Roosters. The storm edge defence is terrible this year while our edges attack really well on both sides now.

betcats likes this.
  11. betcats

betcats Coach

I just think the roosters only have Keary and Tedesco as playmakers. Losing Radley has hurt them, he was their third bally player and really took pressure off the spine. SBW is a great player but he is not a ball playing lock, he doesnt do much to fill that void and losing Verylls off the bench is a pretty big loss, he is gun hooker imo already better than Jake Friend. Melbourne have got Smith, Pap and Munster who can really lay on tries and Hughes is decent, and I think they have a better forward pack than the roosters. If we are not turning over the ball to the roosters and not having a shocker defensively I dont think they have the points in them to beat us. We could play our best and defend our best and if the three storm players I mentioned are on song they could still put points on us I think.

JohnMar and WestyLife like this.
  12. WestyLife

WestyLife Juniors

I completely agree yet I think we can put points on the storm more than we can Roosters. Guess it depends whether you think we can beat the Roosters in a grind or the storm in a game of who has the most points.

JohnMar and betcats like this.
  13. Jane Murray

Jane Murray Juniors

Here's my thoughts:
    1. The Panthers are capable of playing much, much, better than what they have been. It also takes effort, to win 13 games straight.

2. The Panthers have already played the top teams, and with the exemption of the Eels, which is 1 all, the others resulting in a win.

3. That is true, however, the NRL has dictated the schedule, and that has no bearings in future games.

4. In a way that is true, however, the players do have experience in the finals, and all experienced teams, who regularly play finals, are rookie players themselves.

14. The_Frog

The_Frog Juniors

Champion sides don't need excuses to be made for their failures.

15. Luke Bowden

Luke Bowden Bench

What does everyone think, Yeo for Captain next year?!? I think it’s gotta be him or Nathan.

both fine choices, but I think Yeo for mine.

CCJohnC and WestyLife like this.
  16. WestyLife

WestyLife Juniors

Yeo is a good choice for me.

17. The_Frog

The_Frog Juniors

It certainly looks like it, given he is captain for this match. Nathan might have to wait after his sins of the lockdown period.

18. Westernised Panther

Westernised Panther Juniors

Just like they were in the 2014 final.....

And in a little game played between the two in 2003 called the GF........

19. Thirsty Panther

Thirsty Panther Juniors

Its funny.
    This time of year I'm usually trying to work out if it is mathematically possible for us to make 8th spot.
    This year we are trying to work out whether we will play Roosters or Storm in the Grand Final.
    Its certainly been a strange year.

20. Westernised Panther

Westernised Panther Juniors

My thoughts exactly. Last year it was all about, “we need to win this many games and hopefully this team loses, and this team beats that team, etc..........”

It’s refreshing to worry about whether we’ll finish 1st or 2nd for a change!