What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gilchrist retires

he is only 33 gilly, has 3 years left in him for sure, its the wrong decision for sure. he had one bad day, and now he is calling it quits ?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Gilchrist sold out.

As he will still play cricket, just not in OZ.

Very dissappointed.

HevyDevy

Coach
Rabbitohs2005 said:
he is only 33 gilly, has 3 years left in him for sure, its the wrong decision for sure. he had one bad day, and now he is calling it quits ?

One bad day?

He dropped three catches in Sydney and that sitter the other day off Laxman.

He has averaged only 30 with the bat the past three years.

Greart player, legend of the game, but I would suggest that Gilly knew his time had come once his keeping started to suffer.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he will be playing the ODI series in Australia

Gilchrist hangs up his gloves

Final call
January 26, 2008

AUSTRALIAN vice-captain and wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist announced his retirement Saturday night from all forms of cricket.

Gilchrist, 36, said he would retire from Test cricket at the conclusion of current clash against India at the Adelaide Oval before finishing up his Australian career at the conclusion of the upcoming one-day tri series involving India and Sri Lanka.

Saturday's announcement will also see an end to his career with Western Australia and Perth Cricket Club.

It is not yet certain whether he will take part in the lucrative Indian Premier League Twenty20 tournament in India later this year.

"It is with great pride and happiness that I make the decision to retire from Test and one-day cricket," Gilchrist said.

"I've come to this decision after much thought and discussion with those most important to me.

"My family and I have been fortunate to have had an amazing journey full of rich experiences throughout my career and are sincerely grateful to all who have helped make this stage of our lives so fulfilling."

Gilchrist said he was keen to spend more time with his wife Mel and their three children.

He thanked Cricket Australia, the Western Australian Cricket Association and Cricket NSW and all his team-mates and support staff.

Gilchrist became the world record holder for most Test dismissals by a wicketkeeper when he effected his 414th career dismissal Saturday to move past South Africa's Mark Boucher.

The West Australian made his Test debut in 1999 and has played 96 Tests in succession, also a record.

Apart from his keeping success, Gilchrist revolutionised the game as an attacking batsman from No.7 and scored 5556 runs at 47.89, with a highest score of 204 not out. He scored 17 Test centuries.

Gilchrist also captained Australia in five Tests, in the absence of Steve Waugh and then Ricky Ponting, for a record of three wins, one loss and one draw.

Gilchrist made his first-class debut in 1992-93 for NSW but established himself when he crossed the country and played for Western Australia.

He made his international debut in 1996 when he played the first of 277 one-day internationals.

He was a star in the limited-overs game as an opening batsman, and played a part in Australia's World Cup triumphs in 1999, 2003 and last year in the Caribbean.

In one-day internationals he scored 9297 runs at an average of 36.03, with 15 centuries and a highest score of 172, and he took a total of 454 dismissals.

Despite breaking the Test keeping record yesterday, he has endured his struggles this summer through several costly dropped catches.

However he has maintained he would always leave the game on his own terms.

He said Friday night he would inform the public and media when he would retire, but gave no indication of when that would be.

His position is now likely to be taken by NSW's Brad Haddin, his long-time understudy.

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23113948-23212,00.html

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
congrats Gilly on a great career

I'm surprised he's retiring from ODIs though

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Congrats Gilly, a stellar career and hopefully the boys can lift over the next 48 hours an produce some magic for ya in your final test ;-)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Twizzle said:
I'm surprised he's retiring from ODIs though
I'd say that was part of a future deal for Twenty/20 or alternative Internationals.

I suspect we'll hear the detail sometime after the Tri-Series.

Matt23

Staff member
Timmah said:
Congrats Gilly, a stellar career and hopefully the boys can lift over the next 48 hours an produce some magic for ya in your final test ;-)
^^ I agree with what Tim said :clap:

stumped

Juniors
Terrible loss to the game, especially after he was quoted only this past week as saying he wanted to be the player to play 100 consecutive test! was he pushed? there has been a lot said about the odd dropped catch over that past 12 months and his batting has not been as dominant as in the past, what ever is the case, I wish Gilly all the happiness and greatest success for the future, he is one true blue Aussie and in my eyes a legend that we will not see the likes of again for a very very long time

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What's he currently on? 95 consecutive? or something?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
yeah, I agree with Matt

Gilly isn't stupid, he'll know he has been letting his team mates down this series, far to many dropped catches.

Forget his batting, he is there first and foremost to keep and when those skills go, he has to go.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Fantastic career Gilly.2nd best Keeper/Batsmen ever(Behind Sanga IMO)

Locky you are an idiot, stop calling for Paine's inclusion he hasnt even cemented a spot for Tassie yet. Wade is the best YOUNG keeper/batsmen in Australia.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Johns Magic said:
I'm dreading the day Hayden retires.

He'll be far harder to replace.

which was fairly obvious in Perth

Haydon injured=we loose

mightybears

Bench
Rabbitohs2005 said:

Gilly was born in 1971

Latest posts