What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harold Matthews and SG Ball Discussion Thread

mxlegend99

Referee
Well it's just a trial match, so whether it was a full strength side or not the results probably wouldnt have been much different. I'd imagine we would limit the game time on the better players to prevent risk to injury and give the other blokes a bit of a run.

roopy

Referee
Knights won Mathews comfortably 7 tries to 4. Both sides seemed to take it seriously with only a few more replacements than a normal game.
Penrith were up 6 tries to 1 at halftime in Ball.

ashton

Juniors
Penrith 6 tries beat Newcastle 5 tries at Cessnock today.

Harry Siejka didn't play because hes recovering from a knee injury.

Lock Blake Austin was my man of the match, he has very good ball skills.
Penrith management should sign him up long term.

Five eight Matt Moylan was another to impress.

ashton

Juniors
Knights won Mathews comfortably 7 tries to 4. Both sides seemed to take it seriously with only a few more replacements than a normal game.
Penrith were up 6 tries to 1 at halftime in Ball.

The Newcastle Harold Matthews halfback Shane Padberg from
West Maitland is the one to watch.

roopy

Referee
The Newcastle Harold Matthews halfback Shane Padberg from
West Maitland is the one to watch.
Jeremy M'aa would have been our best if the lazy big bastard had wanted to do anything but fight.
If he ever has a go the opposition will be in trouble.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Top player Blake Austin. Not huge, but is as tough as they come. I have no idea whyhe wasn't in the SG Ball side last year, after an excellent year with Harold Mat's in 07.

ashton

Juniors
Another player that went ok was fullback Alister Beale, there's not much of him, but hes as tough as they come. Also the big second rower goes really well.

roopy

Referee
penrith.jpg

Fibroman

First Grade
All pretty boys IMO. Get them into boot camp and give them the clippers over the top. Dash it. OKAY.

sweet-as

Juniors
The penrith matts boys really did play awful.
They had a terrible completion rate, and there defence in their own half was woeful. The good news is they played bad and didn't cop a hiding. They were injury plagued from the start, with centre ryan wilson splitting open his head, followed by 2 or 3 more miner injuries. On the positive side, the big front rower Tai Tuivasa led penrith's exhausted looking offence. He scored 2 tries I believe and set up at least another. Other good performances from penrith included Clay Robinson and Ben Heterick.
Well with all that said, you can't take much away from how the knights played, they led the whole second half, hit the fancied penrith forward pack hard, and dominated for most of the match. It would appear now, that after wins over both Penrith and Parramatta that Newcastle may well be the benchmark in the 2009 Harold Matts season.

sweet-as

Juniors
It pretty much was

Few changes from my earlier suggested team:

The started side was something like:

1. Moss---Struggled for involvement
2. Heather---Good game, scored a nice try
3. Wilson---Head injury for most of match
4. Heterick---Solid performance, one of penriths best
5. Satini---Struggled with his 1 on 1 defence
6. Misevic---Mixed kicking game
7. Kahurua---Some good balls
8. Tuivasa---Dominant, best player on the park
9. Waddel---Struggled for involvement
10. Doran---Good 2nd phase play
11. Vave---Also struggled to get involved
12. Antonelli---I think he may have struggled with an injury, not sure
13. Regan---Mixed performance

As i said though penrith did struggle with injuries.
But were still just outplayed on the day.

ashton

Juniors
Sweet as

Who is the coach of the HM?

I thought Antonelli played in the 13 jumper & Regan was in the 12 jumper?

Both the HM front rowers are huge.

Both the halves were ordinary against newcastle, any other alternatives?

BTW from where I was sitting, the most talented on the field was the blonde haired female trainer from Penrith.

sweet-as

Juniors
The coaches name is George Zahra

As for Antonelli and regan im not sure what number they were, just that they both started.

Yes i agree both penrith's starting front rowers are huge, they are both over 100kgs. Tuivasa is just a destruction machine and in both trials Doran's 2nd phase offloading was phenominal.

As for the halves, there are many different combo's for the team. Their is Misevic who is the only real 5/8 in the team. Kahurua, nelson and tapuaga can all play in the halves. Waddel and nelson are the main contenders for the hooker position.
So out of all those halves, at least one of them won't make the 17 u would think.

ashton

Juniors
What is the coaching background of George Zahra?

Talking of huge front rowers, Jakiel Fuimaono from the Penrith under 15 development squad is a monster.

sweet-as

Juniors
I think George Zahra coached the u/16s Western Acadamy last year.

Yeah Jakiel is one big boy, I think he's playing up a year for Western Academy this year as well.

ashton

Juniors
Another player to watch out for is Penrith Fa'Atau (real name played for Minchinbury under 13 division1 in 2008).

Panther_Daz

Staff member
How good will it be if he does play First Grade for Penrith one day. I can just imagine the articles leading up to his debut!

murraymob

Coach
Daz i think in the name department Solo Alone from S.G.Ball is the leader now that will be fun when he makes first grade