What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne must be Suspended

Should Hayne be Suspended?

• YES

Votes: 86 45.5%
  • NO

Votes: 103 54.5%

• Total voters

NS_Sherlock

Juniors
No one intentionally means to tackle someone high either but they still have to cop a suspension , so why should this be any different
There are deliberate, reckless and careless high tackles so why should it be different? Maybe there should just be a high tackle and let the grade take care of it!

NS_Sherlock

Juniors
That is not the only category that he can be charged under
I'd say he should be charged with dropping his knees because that is what he did. To charge him with anything else just because he is Jarrod Hayne and there is a Grand Final coming up wouldn't be appropriate.
I don't think it warrants a 1 week suspension but I think it deserves enough points to be right on the edge of a suspension.

Some are saying he would still play next week with Grade 1 dropping knees. How is that? 200 points less early plea of 50 points plus concession for no previous (I think) of 50 points gives 100 points total. 1 week suspension for every 100 points. Or is it only 1 week if you are over 100 points?

Ant

Juniors
There is clearly a lot of emotion floating around over this, and for mine their are some ludicrous comments floating around in terms of Hayne's intent.

Comparisons with the Gibbs tackle are for mine not really relevant as it was a very different situation.
- Hayne is flying across in cover attacking a bouncing ball, he chooses to go down at the ball, but its too late as Goodwin is already there. Hayne tries to pull his legs under, but ends up making contact with Goodwin's head with either his knee or thigh or both as he slides in along the turf.
- Gibbs, is following a player who has the ball in hand and is in front of him who has scored. He then drops down on him with his knees. He was no where near the ball, he led with the knees in attempting to make a tackle that was late.

Look I don't know if either Gibbs or Hayne had any intent, but Gibbs is much different situation. Gibbs came from behind and was later on the scene, there was no need what so ever to lead in with the knees. Hayne was attempting to contest a loose ball situation but ended up there late and made dangerous contact.

So in my view the gibbs one was different and worse, it was a grade 2 charge, the only reason he got 3 weeks is because he challlenged the charge and was not a clean skin.

Second question though is does Hayne deserve to be charged and suspended. Well I think he should be charged with dangerous contact, but not dropping the knees. Its then whether probably its a grade one or two. Have any other fullbacks been charged this year or last year with this sort of offence??? In a similar situation??

So Hayne is guilty of something, I'm not really sure how they decide on grading, but personally I don't think there was any great deal of intent and you watch his body trying to twist to remove himself from the situation he got himself into.

I think if you look at other charges this year like gibbs (grade 2) and hindmarsh (grade 1), Hayne will probably get a grade 1 and with no record and an early guilty plea get off. Which is probably fair in my view.

Just on Keating, I think he is going to be charged (if they don't look at it properly) and then will front the judiciary and win. If you watch the footage he its not like other so called chicken wing tackles where the player gets into the wrestle and bends the arm back in order to turn the player or slow the play the ball. Keating tries to tackle a rampaging Ben Hannant on his own front own and gets half barged through. He then tries to grab something to slow him to the ground. If you watch it in replay, Keating never really has a solid grip on the arm at all. Keating ends up at the side trying to grab shoulder arm anything. Hanant arm ends up extended over keating's shoulder, and in my view accidently being trapped in an awkward position. In the end is anyone actually has hold of his hand or arm its Nathan Hindmarsh.
My view is charges for chicken wing style tackle means a player is intentionally grabbing an arm and bending it back, Keating is not doing that in fact if you watch the replay he never evens gets a proper grip on the arm. Its all accidental.
There is so much stuff in there that there is no way they could prove any intent or even that he had a proper grip on Hannant. I think it was all accidental.

So Keating no drama at all.

Hayne has a problem, but based on gibbs getting a grade 2, you could not expect hayne to get anything worse, if he gets a grade 2 he will challenge the grading. But I think maybe grade 1 and he gets off with a clean record.

Might I add based on watching plenty of replays of both incidents it would be a travesty if either player missed a GF, given what has been handed out to other incidents this season.
Just my view

CrazyEel

Bench
I'd say he should be charged with dropping his knees because that is what he did. To charge him with anything else just because he is Jarrod Hayne and there is a Grand Final coming up wouldn't be appropriate.
I don't think it warrants a 1 week suspension but I think it deserves enough points to be right on the edge of a suspension.

Some are saying he would still play next week with Grade 1 dropping knees. How is that? 200 points less early plea of 50 points plus concession for no previous (I think) of 50 points gives 100 points total. 1 week suspension for every 100 points. Or is it only 1 week if you are over 100 points?
I believe the charge they are referring to is "Grade 1 Careless contact with the head" which was brought in because of Slater sliding in with the legs at players scoring tries. 100 points with 25 concession for early plea.

mickdo

Coach

Dropping the knees is normally a charge where a player has the ball and the tackler goes in on the player with the knees. In this case he was going in to a contest where the ball was on the ground from a kick, so another charge such as Dangerous Contact may be considered.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Wow, 27 pages of everyone saying the exactly same thing over and over. See this is the downside of democracy, idiots have a say in how things work.

Engine

Juniors
Hari Kari must be proud of his 28 page achievement. Let him have his moment in the sun and earn his "Dickhead of the Weekend" award.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I cant believe you are saying that. No one gives up because the ball can do anything !!
They are taught at a young age never to give up and if the ball had bounced differently or Goodwin had knocked it up or back and Hayne had given up, then everybody - including the coach would give it to him.
It makes no sense.

He will not miss the GF.

Mate, I get what you're saying...But his chasing after the ball may just end up costing him a Grand Final appearance...

Eelementary

Post Whore
He had a partial dislocation of his shoulder. That wouldn't have limited his movement much once it went back in.

I guess John Sattler didn't really have a broken jaw because he got up and kept playing. That lying merkin had us fooled this whole time.

:lol: f**k that's funny!

Eelementary

Post Whore
li
No matter what Hayne did he was never going to stop him, what makes it worse is that he hit him in the head, not in the back....and i'm not saying it was deliberate but nothing good was ever going to come out of it....

That's kind of what I've been saying. It wasn't malicious or anything, but he was never going to stop the try - making his actions a little pointless.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Yeah yeah, he was never going to stop Goodwin from scoring, does that mean he shouldnt try and stop him?

Just go back to Nathan Cayless accidently kneeing Patten. It was clear that Patten was falling, Nathen then went down with him to make a tackle. Its almost the same thing except Goodwin was going to score a try, which requires more urgency from the defence.

Yeah yeah, he was never going to stop Goodwin from scoring, does that mean he shouldnt try and stop him?

Just go back to Nathan Cayless accidently kneeing Patten. It was clear that Patten was falling, Nathen then went down with him to make a tackle. Its almost the same thing except Goodwin was going to score a try, which requires more urgency from the defence.

You can't compare the two, Cayless was making a tackle and Patten fell into his knees.

Here, Hayne dived into Goodwin with his knees.

Even if it is accidental, Hayne should be rubbed out because 90% of judiciary charges are on accidental occurrences so this is no different.

And the argument in which he took back his feet is pretty faulty as well, despite him keeping his feet back he put his knees in front which is just as bad, if not worse.

The benchmark has been set with both Cam Smith last year missing the final and Gibbs this year. There is no way I can see Hayne being let off from the perspective of a fan.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Yes, I'm sure he should have got his measuring tape out when the ball was kicked, calculated Goodwin's speed and his own and then stopped right then and there once it was clear that he couldn't make it. :roll:

I guess that makes it ok to lead with your knees then.

Cancel any judiciary hearing.

Randor

Juniors
Without reading through the 28 pages, can I assume that we all reckon the judiciary are going to take the soft option and give him a grade one so he can play?

ironhorse

Juniors
All these posters trying to justify Haynes actions based on 20 millseconds are being fools ..... If thats the case throw all charges ,most are based on split second decisions . :roll: Only fair outcome is a one week suspension ,yes a big price to pay but he is young and if he is as good as people say it wont be his last GF attempt.He is only 21 . I think Keating will end up taking it in the neck for Hayne though , he will get suspended because hes the nobody. The nrl will think this will appease other clubs fans as they are not giving parra a free ride and appease parra fans who will happily sacrifice him for Hayne .

isaiah

Bench
Without reading through the 28 pages, can I assume that we all reckon the judiciary are going to take the soft option and give him a grade one so he can play?

i think that is what they WILL do.
what they SHOULD do is give him a week for what he did, the action deserves it.

Western_Eel

Juniors
When you look at the replay he led with his thighs not knees, he will get off either way because he has no carry over points

Latest posts