What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindy's blog

Parra Guru

Coach
Photo03222212285565020070922122855.jpg

Gronk

Staff member
Off-season action

There hasn’t been much doing this week. I attended Mick Vella’s bucks’ party at the weekend, and a good time was had by all, even if it did get a little messy.

The party was the same day as the Caulfield Cup, and I’m happy I didn’t punt on Maldivian! I actually backed Duoro Valley, while Cayless backed the winner, obviously a lucky bet!

I actually have no idea what to back in the Cox Plate so suggestions are welcome.

I’ll be looking after Buster and Archie for a fair chunk of the weekend as Bonnie has a few things on. Archie isn’t too much trouble as I can keep him pretty well entertained these days, and then I just have to hope Buster sticks to his sleeping patterns.

I’m heading to the Arias on Sunday night. One of Bonnie’s friends got us tickets. It should be a good night as we are going with Nathan and Erin Cayless.

I hear Silverchair are playing. I hope they play some of their old stuff, I rate it a bit higher than their new somewhat artsy recordings.

Bonnie and I are going for a romantic trip to Koh Samui for her 30th, it’s a bit more relaxed than Phuket from what I hear but I’m still not leaving the hotel.

I’m a bit of a nervous traveller when it comes to experiencing other cultures. I remember going to Bali a few years back and not really liking the bartering and being touched by the locals when they were trying to sell me stuff. It’s just not my thing.

Archie will be staying with my sister while we are gone, and Buster will be staying with Bonnie’s parents. Maybe Arch will get a trip to the farm to see uncle Ian and the cows, he loves the cows.

Also I’m curious does cow tipping actually work?

On the footy front I don’t go back to training until December 3, and I’m looking forward to the extra break, the old guys tend to get looked after a bit, which I now like!

I saw a copy of the 2008 NRL draw and the opener with the Dogs could be massive, hopefully we can pull a crowd similar to the last when we had 40 000 fans at the game, maybe they will do a double header I don’t know, but I will be raring to go.

My only criticism of the draw is I would have liked our byes further apart than rounds 7 and 11, but you can’t get what you want all the time.

Hindy

Hellsy

Immortal
Dammit... posting under Marshal again...... he should have his own puter profile after this weekend :LOL:

yy_cheng

Coach
He has all sort of men touching him every weekend and he's worried about some Balinese people !! hahhahaha

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
I hear Silverchair are playing. I hope they play some of their old stuff, I rate it a bit higher than their new somewhat artsy recordings.

hear hear Nathan Hindmarsh!

carson

Juniors
Is Dec 3 when all the boys go back into training or just Hindy?

I noticed some clubs are already back in preseason training. Is it really too many games in a season that causes player burn out or the fact that coaches don't give the players a decent break at the end of the year. What would be the more grueling for a player the months of training or the actual game time?

I guess the coaches prefer to blame NRL administrators than themselves for players not being able to cope with the length of the season these days. I don't remember any of the players in the past bitching about the number of games they played in a season and back then there was a full tour of England at the end of the year not one or two tests.

How often do you hear players say they are retiring because they can't be bothered with the preseason training anymore.

Maybe Grothe had the right idea when he told the selectors to blow the rep games out their arses. He would rather have a proper off season than go into training for a rep team he might not have even made.

Nikki

Coach
Yeah that sounds right Hels.. Hindy's gettin the old mans concession... Hahahahaha!!!

Gronk

Staff member
Star-struck

Bonnie and I just dropped Archie off to his aunt’s place in Robbo and are doing a few last minute things before taking off to Thailand tomorrow morning.

I’m looking forward to spending time away from the kids with Bonnie – Buster is staying with grandma -- as both of us get ready for some much needed R&R and a week of getting spoilt.

The past week has been one hell of a ride, beginning with the Cox Plate. I backed El Segundo and Wonderful World and I just wish I had of gone the quinella, then it would have been an even better win.

Sunday night saw us attend the Arias and I was a bit star-struck at the after-party meeting Natalie Bassingthwaite, but even more so when Chris and Ben from Silverchair sidled up for a chat.

I asked Chris what winning the award for best album means to him and his response was: “It’s like what winning the grand final would be for you.” So they were obviously pretty chuffed with themselves and so they should have been.

I also got to meet Rodney Rude and Billy Birmingham. They are very funny guys and have been around a while, so they had a story or two up their collective sleeves.

My music themed week continued last night when we went to see Justin Timberlake. I didn’t really want to go but once I was there I had a good time.

JT doesn’t play the music I am into, and I don’t really know his songs, but the stage show was interesting and it kept me into the concert for the night.

On to footy and I heard PJ Marsh is off to the Broncos for 2008. I know the club was willing to release PJ earlier in the year if he found a better offer, so I guess they extended that.

It’s good for the cheeky little guy and the Broncos who need a fast dummy-half after Shaun Berrigan left the club. I would imagine PJ will get a crack at the starting role he wants and hopefully long term he can get a contract which gives him a bit more.

However, now we need to bring up a smart dummy half but I’m sure Hages has a few ideas.

Speaking of contract issues, I have no idea what is going on with my mate Willie and the Dogs. That is to say I know no more than the average punter, but unless things are really, really bad my guess would be he will stay put.

I can’t see the Roosters being able to afford him and if they can I’d like to know how.

The Sharks were another option but they have re-signed Gallen and will look to tie up Bird, so unless Willie takes a big pay cut, I can’t see him going anywhere.

He could always come to the Eels on less money!

I had a good look at Ian Dyk’s A1 car yesterday, I would love to drive one but don’t think I would fit. Ian is about my height but around 68kg. His team are supporting the pink ribbon foundation which I also support.

Off for a holiday now - Hindy

Hellsy

Immortal
Have fun and take care in Thaland Hindy.... come back with a ring on Bonnies finger!!!

Gronk

Staff member
Thailand not terrific

Thailand wasn’t really the holiday Bonnie or I were looking for. After a few days of good weather early it deteriorated badly and we were left with a rainy vacation. The word “monsoon” wouldn’t go astray to describe the weather.

After a couple of days of shopping, which was nowhere near as bad as Bali where you get harassed constantly, we got out of Koh Samui and went to Bangkok in search of some better weather. It wasn’t forthcoming.

So we spent most of the time holed up in the hotel and I managed to read one-and-a-half books, which takes the total of books I have read to four. And I’m halfway through number five.

The first was “The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star” by Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue. It was actually quite a good read and would turn anyone off drugs for life.

In the book Sixx recounts his memories of what he would do the previous night while he was on heroin and how he would always feel paranoid the next morning. His near death from a drug overdose in 1987 was actually the inspiration for the song “Kickstart My Heart”.

The book I’m reading now is a bit similar, it’s Axl Rose’s autobiography. I love the Gunners.

Since I got back all the news has been about big Willie and I have to admit I’m surprised. I always thought he would be a Bulldog for life and there might be more to this than meets the eye, but I haven’t spoken to him so I don’t know.

With Willie going to the Roosters their pack will now resemble the Dogs of 2-3 years ago, with Mase, O’Meley and Myles. All they need now is Andrew Ryan or Reni Maitua.

I believe the rumour was he would box Barry Hall and, while he is reportedly good, I believe Mase has a bit of skill in the ring as well. He would certainly have the reach advantage, but apparently the fight won’t go ahead now.

Shame, I would have loved to see it.

I watched the Melbourne Cup in Thailand, and it’s good to know you can watch it when you’re away. Unfortunately I backed second again and lost, but that’s why they call it gambling!

Back at home Archie is being a nightmare. He’s learned a few tantrum-throwing tricks from his three- and five-year-old cousins and is putting them to good use on Bonnie and I.

We’re trying to get all our renovations done before Christmas and I’m madly trying to organise carpenters, but it doesn’t look like happening for us. I might have to put on my handy Hindy hat and do it myself.

I played golf yesterday but there isn’t much to report except I have a nasty slice.

Hindy

Latest posts