What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How 2015 Is Shaping Up

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
Why aren't we in the market for Snake? He's a winner, has more try assists than either Hunt or Reynolds (18, ranked 4th overall) and is freakish in stopping tries. Plus, he seems to have fallen off the Origin radar.

Still a gun player by any measure.

But what about Valentine?

He won't want to spend his days on the wing.

Don Tweddle

Juniors
But what about Valentine?

He won't want to spend his days on the wing.

Maybe not, but we need to do what's best for the team and there are very few top line players on the market this year. Holmes has shown a bit in his limited games, but is he really going to be a better fullback than Stewart in 2015? Plus it's not like Holmes can't play on the wing.

RTS wants to be fullback but is biding his time on the wing until Mini retires, Holmes could do the same.

Foz

Bench
Manly have given Watmough permission to negotiate in 2016.(according to nine news).
Fits our criteria for sure.Age-tick Backrower-tick

cb4

First Grade
2015 is shaping up to be one hell of an interesting season.
Right now, the club are 100% standing by Shane Flanagan, so unless WADA come in with sanctions against him, he will be our coach.
I am not sure that this is the best thing going forward, but I believe he is what we have missed this year.

We have had no stability in the coaching ranks, and when players have gotten frustrated they havent really had their leader to go to.
Say what you want about Flanno's coaching ability, or lak there of, but he is a great man manager. He really know's how to get the players on the straight and narrow.
I, and many others also believe that if Flanno was around, that Carney wouldn't have been off the rails.
I am not trying to open up a can of worms, or take away the responsibility of decent society behaviour that falls on the shoulders of Todd, but Flanno was Todd's caretaker. That is a fact.

Our recruitment going into next season is nothing short of horrible. The club waited to long to find out what part Flanno could play in recruitment, and by the time they decided to pull their finger out, it was too late, all the good talent had re-signed or moved on.
There were simple failings as well, not getting Koroibete or Moga before the deadline was inexcusable for a club lacking exciting backs.
The other issue is, the two players signed in Ennis and Brown are not Flanagan signings, they were signed by Noyce, so good luck to those two if Flanno doesnt like them.

Right now, going into 2015, we are on the back foot already, and there will be more unsettlement is the club is forced to sign a new coach.
There are strong rumours that Steve Price is the man for the job if Flanno is sacked, but I can tell you Anthony Griffen wants the job if Flanno is moved on.

Moving on, we will be going into the new season with a back row that is older than father time, a captain who will be disgruntled by the fact he missed the four nations, and a backline that still has no flare to it.
Add to the fact that our halfback has run out of ideas and we really are in a world of trouble.

The only hope that we have, is once Flanno comes back, he is able to convince a few players to terminate their respected contracts at rival clubs early to join us, other wise we face the very real prospect of back to back wooden spoons.

Next year, there will be no ASADA, you have to think that the injuries will not be as extreme(a topic of debate for a different thread) and that our juniors will kick on.

What I can say about 2015, luck Nu Brown did not do his ACL on the weekend, other wise we would be in a lot of trouble.

Card Shark

Immortal
Dire predictions there CB.

I think the players did miss Flanno's authority.

I disagree about the lack of flair in the backs, we have unearthed some prospects in this diabolical year. Keep Wright & Ashyford out of there & we will be much better off.

Half is a definite problem though, as is Gal not going to prop.

Inferno

Coach
Good summary CB4

The way I see it, it's essentially the same squad as last year with the absence of Carney. That team made it to second week of the finals.

This was a squad picked by many to be challenging for the 8, and arguably we're stronger now in the hooker department than we have been for a few years.

Assuming we don't suffer horrific injuries again I think we're more likely to be top 8 contenders than wooden spoon contenders.

Eion

First Grade
It's another year older for gallen, Lewis, toops, Gordon etc that worry me. All fit for most of the year and we maybe squeak the 8, but that's about it.

Card Shark

Immortal
What I can say about 2015, luck Nu Brown did not do his ACL on the weekend, other wise we would be in a lot of trouble.

That's great to hear that's he "ok".

Been looking on the sharks website all day & couldn't get an update. A positive story might have been that he's ok instead of 1 saying Wright has been charged by the match review committee. No one cares about Wright.

Also, thankfully Alex McKinnon wasnt playing us when he hurt himself. Initial treatment of Brown's injury was cringeworthy - wonder he didnt do his other ACL going off.

Feej

First Grade
The other issue is, the two players signed in Ennis and Brown are not Flanagan signings, they were signed by Noyce, so good luck to those two if Flanno doesnt like them.

Uh oh...

Card Shark

Immortal
I'd be surprised that Flanno isn't happy with the Ennis signing - he's a Flanno type player.

& Brown was signed as a backup, so it's not a big deal.

Ads

First Grade
I heard from a completely different sauce than I normally get re: Carney, he's still pushing to be reinstated. That's two people I've heard it from. One basically from the horses mouth and then on the weekend someone who's heavily involved with the team. I am a little surprised that the attempts haven't been shut down yet. Maybe the return of flanno might have an impact.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I disagree MU - Toops still has something to offer ... and to be honest, he offers us more than what Gal, Lewis & Hino have left in the tank.
He's injury prone and that won't improve with age.

Lewis was great in 2013

Look at his form one year later.

That's how quickly a players form can change once they hit their 30's

Cut him loose now before he becomes another passenger.

Tyko7

Juniors
*Flanno will push for Todd return. (Will be his go to excuse for 2015 if not resigned).
*Ennis is a Flanno type player. (Tough and annoying, not sure about how he will go).
*Gordon will stay at Fullback. (May find his hands playing for Flanno).
*Ayshford will be our premier centre in 2015. (Very grimm I know).
*Flanno will allow Gallen to keep over-playing his hand in every bloody set.

It really feels like something else is about to hit this club hard. Maybe another Flanno suspension or a former player suing us. It won't end in 2014 that is for sure.

I love this club!

george43

Juniors
2015 is shaping up to be one hell of an interesting season.
Right now, the club are 100% standing by Shane Flanagan, so unless WADA come in with sanctions against him, he will be our coach.
I am not sure that this is the best thing going forward, but I believe he is what we have missed this year.

We have had no stability in the coaching ranks, and when players have gotten frustrated they havent really had their leader to go to.
Say what you want about Flanno's coaching ability, or lak there of, but he is a great man manager. He really know's how to get the players on the straight and narrow.
I, and many others also believe that if Flanno was around, that Carney wouldn't have been off the rails.
I am not trying to open up a can of worms, or take away the responsibility of decent society behaviour that falls on the shoulders of Todd, but Flanno was Todd's caretaker. That is a fact.

Our recruitment going into next season is nothing short of horrible. The club waited to long to find out what part Flanno could play in recruitment, and by the time they decided to pull their finger out, it was too late, all the good talent had re-signed or moved on.
There were simple failings as well, not getting Koroibete or Moga before the deadline was inexcusable for a club lacking exciting backs.

Right now, going into 2015, we are on the back foot already, and there will be more unsettlement is the club is forced to sign a new coach.
There are strong rumours that Steve Price is the man for the job if Flanno is sacked, but I can tell you Anthony Griffen wants the job if Flanno is moved on.

Moving on, we will be going into the new season with a back row that is older than father time, a captain who will be disgruntled by the fact he missed the four nations, and a backline that still has no flare to it.
Add to the fact that our halfback has run out of ideas and we really are in a world of trouble.

The only hope that we have, is once Flanno comes back, he is able to convince a few players to terminate their respected contracts at rival clubs early to join us, other wise we face the very real prospect of back to back wooden spoons.

Next year, there will be no ASADA, you have to think that the injuries will not be as extreme(a topic of debate for a different thread) and that our juniors will kick on.

southland

Juniors
Negative or realistic? A lot of that post rings true unfortunately.

Not to say we do have a bunch of positives as well... Wade Graham, Gagan, Nu Brown, Holmes.... potential for Fifita to fire, his brother to step up...

If we bring Price on board - for me thats the nail in the coffin for 2015...

Best thing that could happen is if ASADA set sights on Flannagan and he is forced out. Then we could look at a fresh start. I agree 2014 was partly lost due to no coach/stability but is Flan the man for the job?

carinashark

First Grade
Price is rust. Griffin I like and he may be able to tap into QLD young guns . But what to do with Flanno?

shaggs

Coach
What has griffin ever done?? He had the whole of Queensland to get players and anyone else who has ever played league would go to the broncos because of past achievement.
Maybe we can get both. Griffin can deal with the attack. And under price the drags defence was ok. They just couldn't score a try.

Keep flanno to manage the squad.