What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does Rabs still have a job?

Danish

Referee
I'd sooner watch league accompanied by the audio of a couple dudes feeding a constant stream of live cats into a meat grinder than have to put up with Hadley calling 2 TV games per week

Zigwaa

Bench
The classic example of many presented was when on a Sunday he stated that Wednesday (State of Origin day) was only two days away. Gus Gould did not correct him because it would be too embarrassing for the old codger.

You could say in a way he was right. Being Sunday, it was 2 full days (Monday and Tuesday) until Wednesday.

aqua_duck

Coach
Can't really agree with this comment.

Passing in RL is fast & regular.

Ok in an average set of 6 that lasts about a minute there will be around about 6 or 7 different players touching the ball, in AFL (outside of shots at goal) I guarantee you there will be atleast twice as many considering all the fumbles and taps, the fact that possession is contested, the aim is to not get tackled with the ball and there being 10 extra players on the field

DC_fan

Coach
Thhis discussion shows that is a big lack of quality callers in the game.

What I would like to see happen is the commentary team built totally around the colour commentators with the actual game caller kept in the background. Most of what is happening on the field we can see ourselves.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'd rather watch Ray Warren call a game naked than listen to Ray Hadley.

Ray Hadley is an awful commentator. Warren is bad but compared to Hadley Warren is outstanding.

Bench

Ray Hadley is an awful commentator. Warren is bad but compared to Hadley Warren is outstanding.
Don't know about the naked bit,but I totally agree with the rest.

firechild

First Grade
Better than Hadley and Gilbert, put together.

That's like saying eating cow shit is better than dog shit and cat shit put together.

No need to bring your weird fantasies in here.

Voss is the only decent caller of rugby league that has been involved with channel 9 in recent years. This shows how inept channel 9 are.

carcharias

Immortal
be careful what you wish for here.

Without Ray Warren you have Gould and Hadley and Wally and Gordon Tallis and Andrew Johns... and sterol

All these blokes have massive and obvious bias towards some teams.

Rabs just loves footy...so what if he gets a few blokes names wrong.
I don't know their names anyway....especially the islanders.

Someone

Bench
Another thread has presented mountains of evidence that Ray Warren is past the level necessary to be the top caller of rugby league. The classic example of many presented was when on a Sunday he stated that Wednesday (State of Origin day) was only two days away. Gus Gould did not correct him because it would be too embarrassing for the old codger.

Ray Hadley brings relative youth, lots of energy, and a radio caller's excitement to the television call. Most important he doesn't take attention away from the game with irrelevant pseudo-critical personal banter, the way that Warren does with Gould. This habit of Warren and Gould makes the audience think that the game isn't all that important. Ray Hadley sticks to issues that are related to what we are watching on screen.

Ray Hadley is also willing to call a spade a spade. He speaks truth to power. He is not afraid of anyone.

We need Hadley to replace the ageing Warren as soon as possible.

2084722-1245227615_colin_farrel.gif

sobbing.gif

aqua_duck

Coach
Rabs just loves footy...so what if he gets a few blokes names wrong.
I don't know their names anyway....especially the islanders.

loves footy but doesn't watch any games he's not commentating and doesn't do any background research. Andrew Voss you can tell loves footy, he calls Qld cup, Arrive Alive cup, commentates for video games, and you can tell he's done his research even when calling schoolboy football. Rabs doesn't even know who half the rep players are, as for not knowing players names, that's his f**king job. Imagine a sales rep who doesn't know the product they're selling or a chef who doesn't know the menu, they'd be at centrelink in quick time

carcharias

Immortal
loves footy but doesn't watch any games he's not commentating and doesn't do any background research. Andrew Voss you can tell loves footy, he calls Qld cup, Arrive Alive cup, commentates for video games, and you can tell he's done his research even when calling schoolboy football. Rabs doesn't even know who half the rep players are, as for not knowing players names, that's his f**king job. Imagine a sales rep who doesn't know the product they're selling or a chef who doesn't know the menu, they'd be at centrelink in quick time

a slight over exaggeration there.

anyway...I would rather listen to Rabs voice over Goulds any second of any day of any week.

also rabs calls the game while watching through binoculars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3D_Ru-36og

aqua_duck

Coach
a slight over exaggeration there.

anyway...I would rather listen to Rabs voice over Goulds any second of any day of any week.

also rabs calls the game while watching through binoculars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3D_Ru-36og

Difference is Gould isn't a main commentator, he's just there to add input and breakdown certain plays, and even though he's annoying he atleasts displays a knowledge of the game. Rabs has very little knowledge of the game, I think that's what annoys people more than him mistaking one player for another. If you watch foxsports telecast the commentators are actually insightful especially with players who've just come in from the lower grades, I remember last year during a tigers game Rabs had to be informed live on air about Marika Koroibete who'd made his debut the week before whilst Rabs was at the Olympics, 10 minutes of prep work would've avoided that embarrassing situation

carcharias

Immortal
Difference is Gould isn't a main commentator, he's just there to add input and breakdown certain plays, and even though he's annoying he atleasts displays a knowledge of the game. Rabs has very little knowledge of the game, I think that's what annoys people more than him mistaking one player for another. If you watch foxsports telecast the commentators are actually insightful especially with players who've just come in from the lower grades, I remember last year during a tigers game Rabs had to be informed live on air about Marika Koroibete who'd made his debut the week before whilst Rabs was at the Olympics, 10 minutes of prep work would've avoided that embarrassing situation

lets get one thing straight.

Gould is a farkwit....an arrogant farkwit who contradicts himself every time he opens his big loud mouth.

Take more notice of him.
Take notes if you have to ....he will predict something or be blatantly on a team ...should it not turn out, he will jump ship quicker than Francesco Schettino.

Ray gets a few names wrong.

Mr Saab

Referee
, I remember last year during a tigers game Rabs had to be informed live on air about Marika Koroibete who'd made his debut the week before whilst Rabs was at the Olympics, 10 minutes of prep work would've avoided that embarrassing situation

I remember that well and it was pathetic. Its like he turned up to the game, sat down and called the game. Hang on, who the ef am i kidding...thats exacty what he did!

A professional caller would have checked the team sheet before the game and checked all the names and if he found a name they were unfamiliar with they would have made enquries....not look like a rookie who was clueless.

Latest posts