What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Howard Government Pledges $9 Million for Brookvale Oval

hrundi99

First Grade
Eagle_Rocker said:
If you hate him so much, how about you grow a pair of testicles, get up from behind your keyboard and go down to Brookvale Oval on Wednesday night and tell him what you think of him.

Or you can stay behind your computer and spurt out the same crap like the lonely, bitter loser you are.

Mate don't bother.

He's the ultimate LU keyboard hero. He has absolutely nothing.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
Timmah said:
Eagle Rocker, it's simple - Kogarah is in a marginal seat, Brookie isn't.

Manly - move to the SFS, or tell Warringah Council to get off it's arse. CC is impractical and it's been shown once you aren't welcome here.

This is the fault of Warringah Council, nobody else. Especially not me and my taxpayer dollars.

So because Kogarah is a marginal seat they DESERVE money from the government, yet we don't? The Government at State and Federal levels have given out over $900 million to NRL grounds over the last 10 years. Brookvale recieved $1 million of that for lights. I didn't hear anyone complain when every other club recieved funds for their home ground. Anyone begrudging Brookvale Oval a mere $9 million for an upgrade are either morons or just extremely biased against Manly. According to some people on here the Northern Beaches should be paying taxes that go towards everyone else, yet deserve nothing in return.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
macavity said:
where's Newcastle's funds, johnny?

Didn't Newcastle just get a $40 million upgrade to their stadium? I'm not 100% sure here but I thought you received $20 million from the State which was then matched by the Federal? There is no way EA stadium is in the same condition and need as Brookie.

macavity

Referee
Eagle_Rocker said:
Didn't Newcastle just get a $40 million upgrade to their stadium? I'm not 100% sure here but I thought you received $20 million from the State which was then matched by the Federal? There is no way EA stadium is in the same condition and need as Brookie.

Newcastle got (IIRC) 25mil from the State. $0.00 from the Feds.

the fact that Brookie needs upgrading doesnt negate the fact that our western stand has 2-3 years left before it is condemned for concrete cancer. the last engineering report done on it said it had 5 years to go - and that was done I think 4 years ago.....

irrespective, we are the 2nd highest drawing team in the NRL, highest in NSW, and the 6th largest city in the country. we deserve a quality sporting stadium - and crowds would go up further if we had one - and im not even mentioning the Jets.

the Hunter, along with WA, is driving the economy of the nation and getting fugg all back, and all the while Penriff, Cronulla, Kogarah get upgrades. not that im begrudging that, but the whole caper has degenerated to sheer farce.

It shouldn't be an either/or proposition - there is enough in the kitty to do both comfortably. and neither of us should be punished for being safe seats.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
macavity said:
Newcastle got (IIRC) 25mil from the State. $0.00 from the Feds.

the fact that Brookie needs upgrading doesnt negate the fact that our western stand has 2-3 years left before it is condemned for concrete cancer. the last engineering report done on it said it had 5 years to go - and that was done I think 4 years ago.....

irrespective, we are the 2nd highest drawing team in the NRL, highest in NSW, and the 6th largest city in the country. we deserve a quality sporting stadium - and crowds would go up further if we had one - and im not even mentioning the Jets.

the Hunter, along with WA, is driving the economy of the nation and getting fugg all back, and all the while Penriff, Cronulla, Kogarah get upgrades. not that im begrudging that, but the whole caper has degenerated to sheer farce.

It shouldn't be an either/or proposition - there is enough in the kitty to do both comfortably. and neither of us should be punished for being safe seats.

Fair call, and I agree with you. I was obviously mistaken about EA stadiums funding. Major sporting facitilies such as Brookie and EA stadium should never have been left to deteriorate like they have in the first place.

Schillaci

Juniors
Dragonsforthewin said:
Get the 9 mill from people in the area, why should my HARD EARNED tax dollars pay for this shyte clubs ground?

Voting Rudd now simply because of this pledge, johny you lost a supporter.

Why should of my hard earned been poured into kograh oval?

nqboy

First Grade
Timmah said:
Eagle Rocker, it's simple - Kogarah is in a marginal seat, Brookie isn't.

Manly - move to the SFS, or tell Warringah Council to get off it's arse. CC is impractical and it's been shown once you aren't welcome here.

This is the fault of Warringah Council, nobody else. Especially not me and my taxpayer dollars.
I'm not advocating the move but I think Manly would do a lot better at the CC the second time around IF they moved entire, rather than the half-assed joint venture they stuffed around with last time.

katestar676

Juniors
On the Newcastle news snippet on channel ten last night they said that Rudd was going to announce later on this week funds to upgrade Energy Australia Stadium. Don't know how much or even if it will happen but thats just what they said on the news.

nqboy

First Grade
LINK
Eagles to stay at Brookie
November 21, 2007

MANLY'S gut-wrenching plan to abandon Brookvale Oval was all but scrapped yesterday after the Howard Government pledged $9million to upgrade the dilapidated ground.

The Sea Eagles need nearly $18million to upgrade facilities and build a new grandstand. Yesterday's announcement should ensure Manly remain at Brookvale Oval and scuttle any plan to shift to Gosford.

Local member for Warringah Tony Abbott made the announcement but the grant may be in jeopardy should Labor win Saturday's Federal election. Manly officials hope that Labor, if victorious, would still honour the $9million pledge. A public rally tonight at Brookvale Oval will proceed with fans to urge the NSW State Government, Federal Labor and Warringah Council to outlay some cash for Brookvale's much-needed redevelopment.

"Brookvale Oval should always be home of the Manly Sea Eagles," Abbott said. "I would hate to see the legendary Manly club move to the Central Coast. It happened once before and it didn't work. I don't want it to happen again. Brookvale Oval will always be home of the Manly Sea Eagles. (But) it is a tired facility that does need to be completely re-developed. There is no excuse for State Government, Federal Opposition and Warringah Council not to make similar commitments."

Manly co-owner Scott Penn said money for Brookvale was desperately needed. "Brookvale Oval has been in a state of disrepair for some years," Penn said.

Manly prop Jason King added: "This is fantastic news for Manly fans and supporters of the NRL. We didn't want to relocate away from Brookvale."

macavity

Referee
nqboy said:
I'm not advocating the move but I think Manly would do a lot better at the CC the second time around IF they moved entire, rather than the half-assed joint venture they stuffed around with last time.

:lol:

no. any team except Manly would maybe do ok. But not Manly - Coasties are still dirty for being shafted the first time.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Interesting that Manly fans are celebrating this announcement as if it's all happening. Labor wins the election, this funding won't be allocated, simple as that. There will be more important things the government will need & want to fund before this. Warringah Council is to blame tbh.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Eagle_Rocker said:
So because Kogarah is a marginal seat they DESERVE money from the government, yet we don't? The Government at State and Federal levels have given out over $900 million to NRL grounds over the last 10 years. Brookvale recieved $1 million of that for lights. I didn't hear anyone complain when every other club recieved funds for their home ground. Anyone begrudging Brookvale Oval a mere $9 million for an upgrade are either morons or just extremely biased against Manly. According to some people on here the Northern Beaches should be paying taxes that go towards everyone else, yet deserve nothing in return.

It's not about who deserves what, it's about politics. It's simple, marginal seats generally attract government funding promises (which don't always get honoured either).... really that's the story.

I personally think Brookie should be upgraded because it's an utter f**king sh*thole, but funded by Warringah Council - they're the incompetent twits who let it get how it is - they should pay for their mistake.

On the other hand, it's difficult enough to park there, access there and enjoy the experience there... maybe they should just find somewhere else. Pittwater Rugby Park perhaps?

t-ba

Post Whore
That's just about the dumbest thing I've heard from anyone on this board.

Moving to Pittwater Rugby Park because the Parking at Brookvale is sh*t and it's difficult to get to. Wow, that's just, epically stupid.

Maybe Gosford should have payed for Grahame Park. After all, it's not like they committed money to getting a top class sporting venue into the Region pretty much since the region was settled...

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Timmah said:
Interesting that Manly fans are celebrating this announcement as if it's all happening. Labor wins the election, this funding won't be allocated, simple as that. There will be more important things the government will need & want to fund before this. Warringah Council is to blame tbh.
Who is celebrating moron?

Eagle_Rocker said:
Why should my HARD EARNED tax dollars go towards upgrading your clubs sh!thole of a ground at Kogarah? Moron.

because your club is a joke and the ground is an even bigger joke. Oki is the best stadium ever built and known to man, just like our great team, the Dragons.

and besides there is no point fixing that heap of crap with tax dollars, all rich people live there they can pay for their own garbage disposal.

t-ba

Post Whore
Dragonsforthewin said:
because your club is a joke and the ground is an even bigger joke. Oki is the best stadium ever built and known to man, just like our great team, the Dragons.

and besides there is no point fixing that heap of crap with tax dollars, all rich people live there they can pay for their own garbage disposal.

That's funny, but not for the reasons you think it is.

super_coach

First Grade
Grace brothers removals were heading towards govt house, mr and mrs howards are packing boxes. So manly fans you better start putting your head up Rudds Arse if you want the jewel of brookvale upgraded. Your man Howards is heading for the scrap heap and many of us would say ThANK GOD