What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

idris or jennings

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Jennings did have a great match up against Justin Hodges a couple of years back.

Back on Jennings defence, it is slowly improving, but I think thats just pure experience and his fitness is get better by year. I just dont like his tackling technique, he uses the wrong tactics on certain types of players.

Idris on the other hand is just terrible defenceivly, to put it blantently, he is too slow. He cant shift up and out, he doesnt know how to trap his opposite on his outside towards the sideline, and he cant back up his plays. He is to slow and to unfit, and his attack doesnt have that much variety either. (His good under the attacking high ball though, alot like Folau and Inglis)

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
for me its the hype when its completely unwarrented. He was "Rookie Of the Year" when tbh he wasnt even in the top 4 rookies to debut this year, and 2 of them ahead of him play his position - Asyhford and Croker.

For mine the 4 best rookies from this year were Mortimer, Dugan, Croker and Asyhford. Idris isnt close to as talented as any of them. Idris simply isnt the allround player those guys are... Idris's defense is sloppy, he's got ordinary footwork, and his positioining is ordinary. But close to the line he's a hard guy to stop one on one due to the mismatch with alot of centres who are not as big as him.

He's not hated. Just over-rated.
I agree, he's over rated. That doesn't mean he isn't talented. Mortimer is probably the games most over rated player at the moment. Actually with Gus forming a new relationship with Burgess, whenever the Bunnies play on Channel 9 it'll be slamming Sam but that's another story.

The reason is because knobs like you come on here and talk him up like he is the best thing since sliced bread.

When in reality he is just a promising player who isn't a quality player at all just yet.

To anticipate what will happen in the future is ridiculous, and to place that much pressure on a kid is also ridiculous.

So its not that they hate Idris...they just hate you.

Because you talk as though he will be Mal Meninga.
LOL. So I put him at the bottom of a list of players, clearly say the likes of Jennings are better yet I talk him up as the next Mal Meninga and he's the best thing since sliced bread? You are pretty thick headed and it's clear you're going to believe the tripe that spills out of your mouth.

It's obvious I rate Idris a lot higher than you and others, after all I am a Canterbury fan. But your (and people like you) constant down-putting comments of Idris are unwarranted and I don't see the need for you to attack him.

It seems to me like you're a very weak person if you have to resort to name calling, attacks etc on people who have differing opinions to yours.

watatank

Coach
It's ridiculous to make comparisons when both have so much more improvement in them...especially Idris.

mxlegend99

Referee
I'm not saying he hasn't...but they tend to be weak opposition. I remember he scored hat tricks against the Roosters and Eels but the Roosters were wooden spooners and that game against the Eels touch football. He did the same against France but they're not that good. He played well last night but Ty Williams is no Greg Inglis. He was kept quiet against the Dragons and Storm from memory and kept quiet in Origin.
He has played some great footy against good centres before. Just last year against Justin Hodges in a losing side he managed to hold his own and cause some trouble for Hodges.

Michael Jennings
1 try
1 try assist
2 linebreaks
8 tackle breaks
14 tackles
2 missed tackles
1 error
10 runs for 88 metres gained

Justin Hodges
2 tries
0 try assists
1 linebreak
5 tackle breaks
9 tackles
3 missed tackles
0 errors
16 runs for 187 metres gained

The extra try that Justin Hodges scored was thanks to Nathan Smith throwing a terrible pass that Justin Hodges intercepted (with little work). Don't remember Hodges other try to know who was at fault for that one.

Either way he has been great against all qualities of opposition at all levels. His State of Origin performance was pretty good for someone who was limping around all game. He still looked fairly dangerous. Hopefully he's fully fit for this series to show what he is truly capable of at that level.

Johns Magic

Referee
Yeah, because putting Idris at the bottom of the list is a really biased thing to do...

People are under estimating Idris. The hate towards him is completely unwarranted. I really don't get the name calling and hate people have towards him. Is it because he's so young and has already shown so much promise or is it because he gets a lot of hype and it's not for your own club? I really don't understand.

No, because Idris will never be "in the mould" of Inglis. He will never be a quarter of the centre Inglis is.

All this sh*t about how much Idris is going to improve is based on what exactly? Him being young? In that case someone like Jarrod Croker will improve that much in 3 years as well and still be a better player than him.

You seem to think that saying Idris isn't quite as good as Jennings at the moment makes you unbiased...when in fact it makes you deluded for thinking Idris even deserves to be compared to him in the first place.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
Oh he'll improve all right. He's so talented already and he's only going to improve. What's that based on? It's based on the fact that in such a short time he's shown so much potential. There's so many parts of his game that he hasn't gotten right that when he does, he is certainly going to be in the mould of Inglis, IMO.

When guys like Wendell Sailor and Peter Sterling compare him to the likes of Inglis and Folau that's a big wrap not to be taken lightly. Sailor spent a week training with him and seeing first hand the potential he has. I think that warrants his opinion to be a little bit better judged then yours.

You don't agree with me, then fine. We all have opinions. Difference is I'm not immature enough to sit here and start calling you names and mouthing off because you don't agree with me. Grow up.

Johns Magic

Referee
Oh he'll improve all right. He's so talented already and he's only going to improve. What's that based on? It's based on the fact that in such a short time he's shown so much potential. There's so many parts of his game that he hasn't gotten right that when he does, he is certainly going to be in the mould of Inglis, IMO.

Who says he'll ever get those parts right? He's not agile or elusive like Ingls, has virtually no ability in setting up his outside man, and gets run around in defence regularly. Comparisons to Daine Laurie are more apt than to Greg Inglis. But I'm happy for you to have your hopes up. Good luck to you.

When guys like Wendell Sailor and Peter Sterling compare him to the likes of Inglis and Folau that's a big wrap not to be taken lightly. Sailor spent a week training with him and seeing first hand the potential he has. I think that warrants his opinion to be a little bit better judged then yours.

Sailor the biggest sh*t-talker in town. I'm glad he got the chance to see Idris run around some cones and markers in the park at training, but I think actually watching the games gives a better indication.

All the experts said Brett Firman would be the next Australian halfback. Then it was Matt Head. Milton Thaiday was supposed to be the NSW fullback. There are countless players that the experts give wraps who go on to achieve nothing.

You don't agree with me, then fine. We all have opinions. Difference is I'm not immature enough to sit here and start calling you names and mouthing off because you don't agree with me. Grow up.

We all have opinions, you're right. But your opinion is wrong, that's all.

I don't think Idris is a bad player, he has his strengths. But to suggest he'll one day be able to even tie Greg Inglis's bootlaces is just fantasy.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I agree, he's over rated. That doesn't mean he isn't talented. Mortimer is probably the games most over rated player at the moment. Actually with Gus forming a new relationship with Burgess, whenever the Bunnies play on Channel 9 it'll be slamming Sam but that's another story.

As i said in the first post, he's definitely talented, and he'll go on to have a very good NRL career
but for mine he's not a rep quality talent and he's not near the best in his position and probably never will be. Raw power and size will only get you so far in this league. He doesnt have the required assets to take his game to the next level imho. Unlike Croker and Asyhford who both showed a better skills set that is more likely to progress their career further

Talanexor

Juniors
Who's the more talented player? Hard to tell. Neither have been around for very long. Call it even

But who's the best CENTRE? Jennings, with daylight second. Jennings is the perfect combinations of speed, power and agility - he's a complete centre. His defence is still lacking, but that will come with time and good coaching.

Idris is bigger and more powerful, and will be scary once he fills out. But his positioning, speed and agility are sorely lacking. His defence is terrible too.

Idris needs to be sent out to the wing IMO. All he has to do is catch bombs and break through the defence close to the line. And maybe take the first hitup of a set. He's in the Izzy Folau mould, not the Inglis mould.

I'd still take Jennings any day of the week.

simmo1

First Grade
Jennings easily. I wonder if he's any good under the high ball, because I reckon Jennings would be great on kick returns when there is a bit of a broken defensive line.

Bazal

Post Whore
Idris is big, slow, cumbersome, relatively immobile and very powerful. Jennings is insanely quick, agile, nimble, and surprisingly strong. I wonder who I'd rather...

Big Pete

Referee
Let me start off by saying what a mismatch. Jennings at this stage wins easily because before we break down their respective seasons, Jennings is an International.

But I must say this, the amount of negative attention Idris receives is terribly unwarranted. The kid is 19 years old yet he ranks very highly for tackle breaks as a centre (higher than Jennings) and is an absolute handful in attack.

for me its the hype when its completely unwarrented. He was "Rookie Of the Year" when tbh he wasnt even in the top 4 rookies to debut this year, and 2 of them ahead of him play his position - Asyhford and Croker.

For mine the 4 best rookies from this year were Mortimer, Dugan, Croker and Asyhford. Idris isnt close to as talented as any of them. Idris simply isnt the allround player those guys are... Idris's defense is sloppy, he's got ordinary footwork, and his positioining is ordinary. But close to the line he's a hard guy to stop one on one due to the mismatch with alot of centres who are not as big as him.

He's not hated. Just over-rated.

Dugan definate yes, Mortimer possibly Croker and Ayshford? Definately not.

Croker had a fine year but didn't exhibit the same type of freakish skill as Idris. Ayshford isn't even in Croker's league, what chance does he have against Idris?

Either way, I'm unsure why you give such a damn about the Dally M's when it was evident last year the Dogs were easily going to get it given the amount of media wankage.

At the end of the day, if Idris can continue to develop as a player I believe the NRL will be stronger for it.

Big Pete

Referee
To be completely honest with you JM, sometimes I wonder whether or not this forum cares about the quality of the competition given how critical they are of some players. You get the feeling some posters get off watching certain players fail.

Let me start off by saying what a mismatch. Jennings at this stage wins easily because before we break down their respective seasons, Jennings is an International.

But I must say this, the amount of negative attention Idris receives is terribly unwarranted. The kid is 19 years old yet he ranks very highly for tackle breaks as a centre (higher than Jennings) and is an absolute handful in attack.

Dugan definate yes, Mortimer possibly Croker and Ayshford? Definately not.

Croker had a fine year but didn't exhibit the same type of freakish skill as Idris. Ayshford isn't even in Croker's league, what chance does he have against Idris?

Either way, I'm unsure why you give such a damn about the Dally M's when it was evident last year the Dogs were easily going to get it given the amount of media wankage.

At the end of the day, if Idris can continue to develop as a player I believe the NRL will be stronger for it.

did u not see croker carve up hodges in the raiders 56-0 win over the broncos? what freaskish things has idris done?

Jennings is in the top 3 centres already

Johns Magic

Referee
To be completely honest with you JM, sometimes I wonder whether or not this forum cares about the quality of the competition given how critical they are of some players. You get the feeling some posters get off watching certain players fail.

As a Knights fan and hence fan of Kurt Gidley, I know that all too well.

But I don't think that equates to not caring about the quality of the competition. I think it more has to do with those on here who feel the need to go along with the flow in order to fit in.

I hope Idris becomes as good as I imagine he could, I just don't in my wildest dreams imagine he could become anywhere near the class of Inglis.