What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jamal Idris - The greatest player of ALL TIME

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I can understand if people are frustrated with the hype but to belt the tripe out of him in this thread like some have is quite simply disgusting.

It's a bit like some attitudes to Wolfman's selection last year. Many would agree it was wrong to pick Wolfy but he's not a terrible player, just wasn't up the pressures of it at that stage in his career. I feel sorry for him.

Last edited:

dubopov

Coach
if idris played for saints he wouldn't get a look in - he'd be trotting around for shellharbour .. scott and cooper are way better .. even prior or nick emmett would get the nod ahead of him from bennett

Big Pete

Referee
The more I think about it, the more I find the Bulldogs association with Avatar befitting.

Both are major attractions, both received an amazing amount of hype and both receive just as much criticism.

Neither of them can win either. They're either talked up way too highly or they're treated like the worst thing to grace the world.

This isn't just reserved for Idris (although he's the best example).

Kimmorley, Ennis and to an extent Hannant receive this.

At the end of the day, I believe Idris is a promising prospect that has a lot of developing to do. Regardless, he has put in some great performances and if people want to talk him up for those then they should feel free.

It's amazing how players like Tahu don't receive the same treatment from fans.

Eels Dude

Coach
I can understand if people are frustrated with the hype but to belt the tripe out of him in this thread like some have is quite simply disgusting.

It's a bit like some attitudes to Wolfman's selection last year. Many would agree it was wrong to pick Wolfy but he's not a terrible player, just wasn't up the pressures of it at that stage in his career. I feel sorry for him.

It's not like anyone is bagging him personally, just the hype he is getting and criticisms stem from that. Idris is a good young player, but he shouldn't have won rookie of the year last year when there much better candidates, and he's in a purple patch at the moment, played what 3 or 4 great games in a row. And now all of a sudden everyone is talking him up all the time. Great young player, but not worthy of the accolades he's getting at this stage. Having Gus and such talk him up for Origin at this stage is an absolute joke.

Apey

Staff member
It's only the hype that causes threads and comments like this.

If the media didn't over-hype him and wank on about him then I doubt people on here would feel the need to bag him out so much.

You're right, he's not that bad if you look at him purely as a player and with objectivity. But you can't do that when there is all this bullsh*t media hype around him that he's the next greatest thing since sliced bread. He barely even measures up to 1/2 of the hype he receives.

Who else can miss two tackles and get lauded as having great energy. Their circle-jerk knows no limits - they blame Pattern, a player who is actually established, for making Idris miss another tackle. Laughable.

Yeah, it's Pattern's fault Idris is a muppet. "Well, it's not quite a mop, not quite a puppet, but man..."

Timmah

Staff member
It's not like anyone is bagging him personally

Might want to have a look back through the thread.

"Bitch tits", "fat heap" amongst others are personal attacks... shows just how heroic and awesome the keyboard warriors are around here.

Eels Dude

Coach
Might want to have a look back through the thread.

"Bitch tits", "fat heap" amongst others are personal attacks... shows just how heroic and awesome the keyboard warriors are around here.

Yeah and that stems from the fact that he's being overhyped it in the first place. If he wasn't being talked up so much undeservedly, then no one would be having a go at him. But he is being talked up undeservedly and that's why people are having a go. Gotta take the good with the bad.

Big Pete

Referee
So a player who breaks tackles, puts on massive hits and is the size of king kong shouldn't be promoted?

bartman

Immortal
Wow, the journos in the Sun Herald actually said that Idris was impressive against the Dragons :lol:.

Some money must be changing hands, because for the live of me I can't understand the media love in for this bloke. He's a lazy bludger whose game is full of errors, with only the occasional high-visibility play that comes off.

If Idris makes Origin, hard working players the whole league over should be really pissed off.

bartman

Immortal
Anyhoot, some people are over the top. For every Gus remark fellating him in the positive, there are a ridiculous amount of rubbishing remarks in this thread - it looks quite pathetic.
No, it just looks a bit better balanced.

The unjustified media hype for this bloke is beyond the pale. Fans will react against that where it's not warranted.

I'll actually put money on Qld to win the series if Idris is named in the Blues 17. They'll probably win regardless, but selecting the impostor Idris will make sure of it.

Timmah

Staff member
What a joke of an analysis that is - because some media types are blowing smoke up his arse, you've decided to launch a personal attack on him?

Timmah

Staff member
That's real classy, bag a footy player to win points in an internet argument and try to get under someone elses skin... :lol: