What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeremy Smith

aqua_duck

Coach
I don't see Farrer is a big priority, good player but he's hasn't proven himself as a centre. I wouldn't mind one of either Matt White or Ashton Sims, Sika Manu and possibly a young NYC prop who could provide abit of depth

Johns Magic

Referee
I don't see Farrer is a big priority, good player but he's hasn't proven himself as a centre. I wouldn't mind one of either Matt White or Ashton Sims, Sika Manu and possibly a young NYC prop who could provide abit of depth

Matt White and Ashton Sims have proven they are pretty hopeless

Perth Knights

Juniors

Ashton Simms has signed for the Cowgirls for the next 2 years so he's now off the market.

Not keen on Mat White but would love to see Manu at the club. Would really love us to go for Mason though given we need a decent prop.

Perth Knights

Juniors
Voss said on the Footy Show last night he will now make a decision after Sundays game.

The longer it takes for Smith to make a decision on his future, the more I think he won't be coming to Newcastle. Put simply, he really doesn't want to leave the dragons and coach Bennett.

Noname36

First Grade
The longer it takes for Smith to make a decision on his future, the more I think he won't be coming to Newcastle. Put simply, he really doesn't want to leave the dragons and coach Bennett.

He's already been told that he cant stay with the Dragons. Like Costigan, he was pushed out for Gaz. He has to make a choice between us and the Sharks.

I have no idea which way he'll go. The Sharks would be the easy and realistic choice for him. Gets to stay in Sydney, still close to his family and friends, etc. However there are a few reasons why he might come here. Money (although granted I have no idea what the Sharks are offering), the opportunity to come up with Costigan and Henry...and as bad as we're going, I still think we're closer to a premiership than the Sharks are.

Will be interesting to see which way he goes.

Perth Knights

Juniors
He's already been told that he cant stay with the Dragons. Like Costigan, he was pushed out for Gaz. He has to make a choice between us and the Sharks.

I have no idea which way he'll go. The Sharks would be the easy and realistic choice for him. Gets to stay in Sydney, still close to his family and friends, etc. However there are a few reasons why he might come here. Money (although granted I have no idea what the Sharks are offering), the opportunity to come up with Costigan and Henry...and as bad as we're going, I still think we're closer to a premiership than the Sharks are.

Will be interesting to see which way he goes.

I fully understand that Smith is being pushed out of the dragons as a result of the salary cap and Gasniers arrival. This was the same situation for Costigan ... Dragons loss our gain!!

From all of the reports however Smith was supposed to make a decision after last Sundays dragons game and now it is this Sundays game. Just seems to me that the longer it takes for him to make a decision the less likely he'll be in Knights colours next year. As you say, the easy decision would be to sign with the Sharkies but if it is a premiership he wants then I would bypass both clubs as I really do not believe we are that much better than the sharks at the moment.

Could it be that Smith is heading to the ESL like our previous target O'Donnell?

otori

Juniors
Maybe premierships are coming into his calculations. My tip is that if the Dragons lose, he'll come to us. He'll think they're choking again and his desire for a valid premiership will force him to join our push and give it more momentum. If they win and he sees the Dragons as getting back on track, he'll go to the Sharks. This presumes the Sharks are offering more cash but also the opportunity to stay rooted in a similar area. Game theory analysis is stuck in my head at the moment ...

According to the Telegraph today Smith's decisions is held up because he does not want to uproot his family from Wollongong. Well if that is how he feels about it as a footballer then I have no issue with him not signing because he clearly is no motivated to play for this club. Onslow should have pulled the pin on monday (the original deadline was last Sunday afternoon as given by Smith himself) to show that even though we need an enforcer we are not a charity case either.

Noname36

First Grade
According to Barry Toohey this morning the Sharks are offering about the same sort of money as we are. If that's the case then I'd say he'll go to the Sharks.

Johns Magic

Referee
NEWCASTLE'S search to replace retiring Test forward Steve Simpson could be over within 48 hours.

Dragons forward Jeremy Smith, who is at the centre of a bidding war between Newcastle and Cronulla, will make a call on his future after Sunday's clash with the Roosters at the SCG.

One of Wayne Bennett's most prized recruits from the Melbourne Storm last year, Smith has been forced out of the Dragons as a result of Mark Gasnier's mid-season signing at the club.

It's now a battle between the Sharks and the Knights to secure his signature.
Simpson, 30, is likely to announce this will be the last of his 11 NRL seasons.

After narrowly missing out on Cowboys backrower Luke O'Donnell, Knights strategic development manager Keith Onslow said Smith is the man to fill the void of a departing Simpson.

"Have a look at both those players," Onslow said of O'Donnell and Smith.
"They're both leaders, they're both very strong characters and whether it was Luke or Jeremy, we see them playing that role at this football club.
"You only need to speak to Wayne [Bennett] and Craig [Bellamy] ... they hold him in high regard as a leader and that's certainly our main interest."

Smith would join fellow Dragons forward Neville Costigan at the Knights if he were to knock back the Sharks offer.
But it's understood the 30-year-old is reluctant to uproot his family from Wollongong, which could play in the Sharks' favour.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/knights-will-wait-on-smith/story-e6frfgbo-1225902490380

Shame Luke is a much better player than Jeremy

Perth Knights

Juniors
Sounds increasingly likely that Smith will sign with the Sharks given he doesn't want to uproot his family from Wollongong. Smith might be a good player but over the last couple of years he has been very injury prone and has not spent much time on the paddock for the Dragons. For me, why would the Knights want another Cross mark 2. I would immediately withdraw the offer and target someone younger, less injury prone and who actually wants to play for our club.

KnightsMan90

Juniors
Why we would want to replace Simpson, with a guy of similar age and has been injury prone his entire career is beyond me. Its like replacing someone with themselves. At least with Simpson, you get a proud knight who will be passionate about playing for the club, like he has for the last 11 years, is proper leadship material, is already well known by the team, and is a far better player then Smith ever has been. Simpson was our best defender until he was injuried and Hilder started going all out insane.

As for replacing with a younger prop. We already have one in Edwards, in the games he has played he has looked for better, far more in form, far superior and looked far more experienced. He should be having a permanent bench next year, building up playing half a game, before being made a starting prop. He is the future of our props in my opinon. Smiths offer should be withdrawn, and split up so we can top up an offer to Matt White to give us the edge, and make an offer to Farrar, so he can replace Maddog for next year or if Maddog re-signs, finally be able to drop Sa'u from the FG team.

Serc

First Grade
Smiths offer should be withdrawn, and split up so we can top up an offer to Matt White to give us the edge, and make an offer to Farrar, so he can replace Maddog for next year or if Maddog re-signs, finally be able to drop Sa'u from the FG team.

Not too bad a comment until I read the last bit :lol:

macavity

Referee
All good in theory - except for the fact that Simmo's knee is shot and he is unlikely to play again....