What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey risks his future

Misty Bee

First Grade
it is unheard of. Name me a player who turned down australia and then played later on.
Dont say TC as thats no valid in this instance to what Johns is doing.

Darren Smith.

Went to the UK, where he played in games that coincided with Aust v NZ test matches.

Later played for Australia.

Mr Saab

Referee
I told you b4 that i cant name a player who was dropped from a test side. Name him please.
Wrong again about Webcke.
At the time the ARL were going to pull out of the 2001 tour...but then they changed their minds as they were pressured to go. Webcke had already made his stand that he wasnt going and he stood by his word...and we all know Webcke stands by his word.

hrundi99

First Grade
Charlie Saab said:
Mal did NOT say that.
Mal said "this is whats its all about" in reference to that there was no better feeling in league...winning a comp.
Dont twist his words

You're doing a good job.

Kiwi

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Does a grand final mean anything to you? Obviously not - it's just another game - ho hum.

You would have loved Mal and Lozza missing from the '89 decider because some dingbat scheduled a test on the same day. Where would they have been, in a riaders jumper or a Kangaroos one?

BTW, name the Oz Union player good enough to represent from outside the S12.

You are talking alot of what if's. The ARL would never schedule a test during an NRL grand final. It's stupid there is one at the same time as the esl grand final, but there is. Johns doesn't have a current ESL contract signed last year or before the test was announced. The choice is simple, one or the other.

Mr Saab

Referee
Misty Bee said:
Darren Smith.

Went to the UK, where he played in games that coincided with Aust v NZ test matches.

Later played for Australia.

thats competely wrong and you know it.
Smith was well out of the Oz rep scene when he went overseas to England.
Anderson paid for that decision with his job....we went over that.

perverse

Referee
Charlie Saab said:
it is unheard of. Name me a player who turned down australia to play a club game and then played later on i his career.
Dont say TC as thats not valid in this instance to what Johns is doing.
webke and smith both did it as misty said.
just because webke "stuck to his word", doesn't mean he didnt turn down an australian jersey. whether it was for a club game or not, no-one even dared to question it, and he was later in the squad. wait.. sorry, he's a queenslander so his case doesnt count.

darren smith turned down an aussie spot so he could play in the UK as well, later played for aust. sh*t HANG ON, he doesn't count in your books either, he's a queenslander.

you can't just discount these and make up alternate excuses, they both happened.
oops.

joey is going about it the right way as well, plenty of warning.. submitting proper requests for exemption.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Charlie, the tour was called off (actually dramatically shortened) BECAUSE of Webcke and others (notably Fittler). The ARL didn't make the choice.

So if it's OK for Webcke to "stick to his guns", and gutto out of a game because he thinks an Iraqui is going to aim a missile at his plane because he's in it, why isn't it OK for Joey to do so with a FAR more valid reason?

Hypocrite, Charlie. yet again.

You are talking alot of what if's. The ARL would never schedule a test during an NRL grand final.

Bonehead, they scheduled on during an ESL grand final!!!!

Hence my comment. The hypothetical re Meninga and Daley, and the reality re Johns is identical.

That you chose not to answer it speaks volumes about the power of your argument.

Make the choice in the hypothetical - Meninga - Raider or Roo?

BTW, no problem with talking about what if's, had the ARL done that then they may have avoided this embarrassing situation!

perverse

Referee
The_Coach said:
Read This:
And here is a question. If Joey wins the comp with Warrington does he go back and play the club challenge for them against the NRL premiers?
only if he's still under their contract when the WCC occurs i think.

Mr Saab

Referee
Misty...2001 was a dramatic time in the world.
We are alll monday morning quarterbacks because nothing happened. Had something then it would be completely different.
Webcke wasnt afraid of being struck with a missile...he was more concerned that if a war had occured then he would have been stuck in england for a very long time.
No Qantas jumbos flying when war breaks out is there!

perverse

Referee
Charlie Saab said:
No Qantas jumbos flying when war breaks out is there!
i'm not sure actually, i don't believe they had jumbos when the last one that affected us broke out. no doubt the airlines still operate as a business, just as any other business does during war.

you make the dumbest comments sometimes.

Mr Saab

Referee
perverse said:
webke and smith both did it as misty said.
just because webke "stuck to his word", doesn't mean he didnt turn down an australian jersey. whether it was for a club game or not, no-one even dared to question it, and he was later in the squad. wait.. sorry, he's a queenslander so his case doesnt count.

darren smith turned down an aussie spot so he could play in the UK as well, later played for aust. sh*t HANG ON, he doesn't count in your books either, he's a queenslander.

you can't just discount these and make up alternate excuses, they both happened.
oops.

joey is going about it the right way as well, plenty of warning.. submitting proper requests for exemption.

webcke turned down an Oz jersey as he valued his life and didnt want to be stuck Overseas had a war broken out. sept 2001 was a very dark time in the world in case you had not forgotten. Say a war had broken out...webcke would have been lucky he didnt go as he would be stuck there.
smith didnt turn down anything. He left australia to play in england and was completely out of the selection minds of the ARL.
Anderson chose him and he paid for it with his job. Stop reading what Misty says as half it is BS and bordering on spin doctoring!!!!!!!

Mr Saab

Referee
perverse said:
i'm not sure actually, i don't believe they had jumbos when the last one that affected us broke out. no doubt the airlines still operate as a business, just as any other business does during war.

you make the dumbest comments sometimes.

how old are you? 10?
When war breaks out there is NO travel...ZERO. :roll:
sometimes i question the intelligence of this board!
we have fighter pilots in the sky and a jumbo flies past?????????????????????? My god you are naive!!!!!!!!!!

Misty Bee

First Grade
thats competely wrong and you know it.
Smith was well out of the Oz rep scene when he went overseas to England.
Anderson paid for that decision with his job....we went over that.

Wrong? How do you get "well out of the rep scene"? I thought representation eligibility had only 1 criteria - and that was on your passport!

Smith did what Joey wants to do. Only Joey would be made to pay for it!

Kiwi

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Bonehead, they scheduled on during an ESL grand final!!!!

Hence my comment. The hypothetical re Meninga and Daley, and the reality re Johns is identical.

That you chose not to answer it speaks volumes about the power of your argument.

Make the choice in the hypothetical - Meninga - Raider or Roo?

BTW, no problem with talking about what if's, had the ARL done that then they may have avoided this embarrassing situation!

An ESL competition that Johns is not currently involved in. It's not like Johns has been playing there all year in the ESL, but oh wait what would happen if he was? would he be selected for the tri nations at all?

What are the chances of there being a test match between australia and new zealand scheduled during a NRL finals series let alone a grand final? No chance in hell, you can't be hypothetical with something that has never and will never happen.

You are also comparing Daley and Meninga playing for the Raiders in a Grand Final, a club they both played how many games for, played for their whole careers, both captained ect, to Johns going to the ESL to play half a dozen games because he wants to. Are trying to tell us Johns will have as much pride in the Warrington jumper as he does for the Knights one? A much as Mal and Lozza had for their Raiders?

perverse

Referee
Charlie Saab said:
how old are you? 10?
When war breaks out there is NO travel...ZERO. :roll:
sometimes i question the intelligence of this board!
we have fighter pilots in the sky and a jumbo flies past?????????????????????? My god you are naive!!!!!!!!!!
so people didnt travel when the US invaded Iraq? what about when america were carpet bombing afganistan? you are talking about world war 3 here. there was little more unrest than every other day between actual countries during this time, the war was on terrorism. you've got just as much chance of being hit by terrorism now as immediately after sept11. actually there is probably more chance now that america has gone and stirred up the bees hive.

this is completely off topic regardless, he still turned down a chance to represent his country, no exceptions remember?

Mr Saab

Referee
Darren Smith was not playing a game of football the day he was selected to play.
Darren Smith incident is completely and utterly different. I cant believe you would compare the 2

Mr Saab

Referee
perverse said:
so people didnt travel when the US invaded Iraq? what about when america were carpet bombing afganistan? you are talking about world war 3 here. there was little more unrest than every other day between actual countries during this time, the war was on terrorism. you've got just as much chance of being hit by terrorism now as immediately after sept11. actually there is probably more chance now that america has gone and stirred up the bees hive.

this is completely off topic regardless, he still turned down a chance to represent his country, no exceptions remember?

as is said...no one knew that would happen after sept 11 2001. We are all so smart now because nothing happened...but back then the world was a very unstable place.
If something big had broken out then there would be zero travel.
Webcke turned down a chance to play for australia because he belived at the time that his safety was compromised...he didnt go off and play park football in france! He stayed home