What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kasiano charged

The General

Juniors
I've watched it again and Kasianos fist was not clenched at all and I'd even argue he barely even swung his arm. His arm more followed Fui as he fell.

Would have liked to see the dogs fight it as I think they had a good chance but the decisions been made.

The Gambler

Juniors
Limited control of their head? Its attached to their neck just as well as their arm is attached to their shoulder isn't it?

We have charges for deliberate, reckless and careless high tackles. We should equally have charges for deliberate, reckless, and careless headbutts. If we are serious about this protecting the head and concussion garbage, charging people for head clashes is a pretty obvious answer. It is a very common cause of concussion in the game after all.

Watch how much control players would suddenly have over their head positioning if they started missing games for it when they got it wrong.
Surely you are not trying to suggest that a head has the same range of motion as an arm?

If a player is leading with the head, then sure, I agree with you and it should be outlawed. But I think a stark contrast can be drawn between an accidental head clash and an accidental swinging arm to the head.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I've watched it again and Kasianos fist was not clenched at all and I'd even argue he barely even swung his arm. His arm more followed Fui as he fell.

Would have liked to see the dogs fight it as I think they had a good chance but the decisions been made.
Plot thickens, AAP reports suggested he's accepted the plea, other outlets (FOX Sports for instance) are reporting the Dogs have asked for an extension :?

Packy

Bench
Surely you are not trying to suggest that a head has the same range of motion as an arm?

If a player is leading with the head, then sure, I agree with you and it should be outlawed. But I think a stark contrast can be drawn between an accidental head clash and an accidental swinging arm to the head.

Of course an arm has more range than an arm.

But have you seen the damage a melon can do? It's not like they are pillows.

carcharias

Immortal
If fui had taken out barba first tackle like that I bet there would be a very different opinion
in here.

Danish

Referee

I would say that the only part of burgess's headbutt that made it an accident was that logically we assume he wasn't intending to do it. The player he belted wasn't falling, didn't deviate his run at the last minute or anything like that. Burgess charged in and smacked him fair in the melon with his own.

But if you want to focus on range of motion, then how about a shoulder?

JWH is currently serving a week on the sidelines for making accidental head contact with his shoulder on Ben Ross. Ben Teo has been sidelined in similar circumstances.

The range of motion of a shoulder is pretty much zero, given its a joint. Certainly less ability to get your shoulder out of the way when making a tackle than your head.

For the record, I am happy to see the Kasiano, Hargraves and Burgess shots (all accidental contact to the head) be non-penalties, but if you are going to penalise and suspend two of them, there is no argument against penalising the other.

The range of motion of a shoulder is pretty much zero, given its a joint. Certainly less ability to get your shoulder out of the way when making a tackle than your head.

:lol::lol:

lol wut?

The shoulder has a large ROM.

--------

Hoping Kas gets off, glad he is fighting it.

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
:lol::lol:

lol wut?

The shoulder has a large ROM.

Compared to your head it doesnt, which is my point.

If we are going to be consistent with penalising and suspending people for completely accidental head contact as we have done all year, then there is no reason why this should not include accidental contact made using the head.

in.tro

Juniors
If fui had taken out barba first tackle like that I bet there would be a very different opinion
in here.
only because it looks worse when its big man on small man...
but fui was on his knees by the time he got hit, i dont know how kasiano gets his arm any lower... it was an accident... im not a bulldogs fan and even i can see that.

carcharias

Immortal
So please explain Jeremy smith getting suspended?
He has the ball on his back on the ground and try's to fend off the dude tackling him.

Level of arm to ground is irrelevant.
Got him in thd head and knocked him out cold.

I would say that the only part of burgess's headbutt that made it an accident was that logically we assume he wasn't intending to do it. The player he belted wasn't falling, didn't deviate his run at the last minute or anything like that. Burgess charged in and smacked him fair in the melon with his own.

JWH is currently serving a week on the sidelines for making accidental head contact with his shoulder on Ben Ross. Ben Teo has been sidelined in similar circumstances.

For the record, I am happy to see the Kasiano, Hargraves and Burgess shots (all accidental contact to the head) be non-penalties, but if you are going to penalise and suspend two of them, there is no argument against penalising the other.

What's more, Burgess does it all the time.

Burgess in his first NRL game knocked out Yileen Gordon by running in upright and clashing heads. In the 2009 Four Nations he knocked out Brett White by running in upright and banging heads with Brett Whiute

If you're to say that swinging an arm is reckless, how can you not say that running in, in the way that Burgess does, is okay?

Accidents happen

Last edited:
So please explain Jeremy smith getting suspended?
He has the ball on his back on the ground and try's to fend off the dude tackling him.

Level of arm to ground is irrelevant.
Got him in thd head and knocked him out cold.

Because Jeremy Smith is Jeremy Smith and most people would agree that Smith "fended off"(if that's what you're calling it) the Broncos kid in the face on purpose.

You can't compare an intentional action and an accident.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Because Jeremy Smith is Jeremy Smith and most people would agree that Smith "fended off"(if that's what you're calling it) the Broncos kid in the face on purpose.

You can't compare an intentional action and an accident.

lol yeah, pretty woeful comparison. On one hand you've got a legal tackle, which is made illegal by the attacking player slipping. On the other you've got Jeremy Smith whacking a bloke in the face because he's about to get jumped on.

You have to be terribly naive to have watched Smith play and think that was an accident.

Latest posts