What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights Sign Beau Scott

Johns Magic

Referee
Well that's what I figure it had to be, a depth signing with a lack of options in the market.

The strange part is though that Parra were fighting for him and he would be a starter there and they have cash to throw at him. I'm sure we didn't get him for chips, but chips is what you'd want to be paying your reserve-grade centre.

Sau has had these problems in his game since day dot, I was surprised Bennett re-signed him at the time because I thought he didn't suit the style of play Bennett likes.

RABK

Referee
Agreed on all points.

I don't think Scott would be signed as a centre or even a Utility. He clear as day plays his best football as a right edge backrower and i'd imagine if we were to line up 1-17 in 2013 he'd be our number 11.

So i see Sau staying on in 2013 as depth and Taia making way for Scott.

Houston plays right edge these days, perhaps Costigan will shift to prop fulltime and Houston will become our third prop at 13.

McKinnon looked awesome on the left fringe last week - that's his position IMO.

Stick

Juniors
McKinnon debuted for the dragons as a right edge centre so he doesn't have to be pigeon-holed as anything. His versatility is a huge bonus; it will prove a valuable asset as the season progresses and the squad has to accommodate injuries and suspensions.

Yosh

Coach
I think Sau was WB's contingency plan. Tahu had been out of the game a while and we had no idea which Tahu would turn up for us. Wes had been injured for a long time and we didn't know what was going to go on there. Luckily for us Tahu and Wes look the goods and Sau is racking up try assists in reserve grade. It could have been really different if for example Tahu had torn a groin or Wes had a terrible preseason. Resigning Sau would have been seen as a stroke of genius.

Spot On

Coach
Sau was resigned by Bennett though to a new 3 year deal.

That would not have been a light decision - he has to have seen something in Sau. I agree it looks like he's on the outer but perhaps Bennett is just frustrated with Sau?

Circumstances at the time. Everyone makes mistakes.

drago brelli

Bench
The Poach..............The Dragons are moving to sign all their young talented players in an attempt to ward off big Tinks and the 'quiet man of the league'. Better extend the contract of C King.

macavity

Referee
Well that's what I figure it had to be, a depth signing with a lack of options in the market.

The strange part is though that Parra were fighting for him and he would be a starter there and they have cash to throw at him. I'm sure we didn't get him for chips, but chips is what you'd want to be paying your reserve-grade centre.

Sau has had these problems in his game since day dot, I was surprised Bennett re-signed him at the time because I thought he didn't suit the style of play Bennett likes.

Perplexed me too - As soon as Tahu was coming, Sau was surplus unless he was on peanuts.

Then again I don't see the fuss over Beau Scott (too small, too slow), I wouldn't have Stig within cooee of a first grade jersey for his first game back, and I would have signed Willie Mason to a second-tier contract for this year, so it is likely I have no idea.

Seage

Juniors
I don't know if we'll sign someone as high value as Kennedy (will prob demand 300k after cracking Origin this year) ;)

Have I deadset missed something? Martin Kennedy has barely played first grade, and apparently people are cueing up to give him an origin jersey, so much so that he can choose which state he wants to represent. This fat pretender is no hoper and the sooner he is off my television screen the better.

If we can't find a bloke off the street to do a better job than that merkin i'm not here.

RABK

Referee
Someone mentioned Kennedy as a good target. I simply said that was unlikely due to his potential price tag. He has been mentioned by QLD insiders a few time as one of their players of the future and is a chance to debut this series.

So in short, his name was a pretty random one thrown up by one poster - nothing in it.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Have I deadset missed something? Martin Kennedy has barely played first grade, and apparently people are cueing up to give him an origin jersey, so much so that he can choose which state he wants to represent. This fat pretender is no hoper and the sooner he is off my television screen the better.

If we can't find a bloke off the street to do a better job than that merkin i'm not here.

I also don't get the Kennedy wank that goes on. He scored one good try, shugging off Farah (not the only forward to do that in recent times), & the next day he's all over the papers saying he wants to play for Queensland.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Perplexed me too - As soon as Tahu was coming, Sau was surplus unless he was on peanuts.

Then again I don't see the fuss over Beau Scott (too small, too slow), I wouldn't have Stig within cooee of a first grade jersey for his first game back, and I would have signed Willie Mason to a second-tier contract for this year, so it is likely I have no idea.

What's happened to that unquestionable self belief wonder boy?

Whats Doing

Bench
Scott has a pretty poor game last night and to be honest whilst I was very happy we has signed him, that was based on last year's form.

I haven't seen that he has played to anywhere near that standard this year as yet.

Johns Magic

Referee
Scott has a pretty poor game last night and to be honest whilst I was very happy we has signed him, that was based on last year's form.

I haven't seen that he has played to anywhere near that standard this year as yet.

Judge him in the backrow, not the centres.

Whats Doing

Bench
Judge him in the backrow, not the centres.

I have where he played in the back row last night (and not in the centres) and was poor.

Missed a simple tackle that led to a try, dropped a simple ball 10 metres out from his own line and made less than 40 metres in attack in the 80 minutes on the field.

BTW Stanley and Prior were the centres last night despite what their numbers on their back showed.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
I have where he played in the back row last night and was poor.

Missed a simple tackle that led to a try, dropped a simple ball 10 metres out from his own line and made less than 40 metres in attack.

Stanley and Prior were the centres last night.

Yep sorry, you're right there. I didn't get to watch the Dragons game last night because of work but he's still listed at centre and had centre-like stats.

All I can say is that he's been outstanding in the backrow the last few years...there's a lot of mitigating circumstances that would contribute to his shocking season thus far, namely playing out of position, copping an injury and already having signed here.

I'm hopeful he can reproduce his Origin form for us, because I know he is capable of bringing what we signed him for.