What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knightsrebuild - time to do something.

Nuffy

Bench
Next steps is I think we should push for the opportunity to pitch our ideas and discuss our concerns in more detail.

Yosh

Coach
Mate I could go on and on about my vision for the club - not saying it is all do-able or even desirable, but sometimes I feel like I'm alone in thinking about this. We need to think big and we are so caught up in paying last year's bills we completely neglect thinking about where we want to go.

4 academies up the coast with games in all locations (HQ in Newcastle (8 games), campuses at Gosford (2 games), Port Mac (1) and Coffs Harbour (1)) to lock up ALL of the talent in our WHOLE catchment... scholarship programs with a school in each location to start forming combinations and fostering loyalty from a young age.

sister club and administrator exchange arrangement with an NFL club (we need to learn professionalism somewhere)...

strong partnership with UON (who have a leading sports science faculty) to ensure best practices (I actually lobbied burro for this one and he started talking but then tinks took over)... the effect of having a whole research department looking after our sports science cannot be overestimated...

supporting other clubs to schedule our games at Gosford (a top sponsor would help us with that)....

Most of it takes money, and we need success to attract money, and we aren't getting either with NRL ownership.

With some seed funding and some decent administrators we could do special things, but we traded away half of our trust fund to Tinks to get rid of him, and we are burning through the rest as we can't generate enough cash to pay our way.

There are some things we could do for little cash though. Becoming intertwined with the university is a very good start.

I think the lack of a vision is the most frustrating thing, closely followed by the complete lack of any proactivity. We have let the Roosters take the Central Coast FFS.

You gonna run for club president anytime soon? You got my vote.

For that vision to occur the club will need an expansion to encompass Northern NSW and possibly the Central Coast and a hell of a lot of slack cutting by the one eyed supporters who honestly see Tinkler's failure as some sort of victory. I see it as a tragedy. Tragic we were lied to. Tragic noone mentioned his wealth was on paper only depended on coal prices holding and him getting total control of Whitehaven coal. We had that vision, had the master coach and all of it is as just taken away. It sickens me to think what we could have been if Tinkler wasn't an inept gambler and so immoral about paying people on time.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
The land around the stadium is just sitting there begging to be a true RL Mecca - admin, training, Sports science, junior accommodation and a club... instead it is a go cart track, a delapidated putt putt course and the worlds dodgiest gym...

We need about 30 mil to compete. Instead of saying it will never happen we need to make it happen.

Wests, NIB, C&A, the uni, the perm? We need a trust formed to run the club. We need the will to make it happen. We probably need govt. funding to help it occur. Not as silly as it sounds, plenty of clubs have gotten grants and we can show a plan to encompass the northern half of the state.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
For that vision to occur the club will need an expansion to encompass Northern NSW and possibly the Central Coast and a hell of a lot of slack cutting by the one eyed supporters who honestly see Tinkler's failure as some sort of victory. I see it as a tragedy. Tragic we were lied to. Tragic noone mentioned his wealth was on paper only depended on coal prices holding and him getting total control of Whitehaven coal. We had that vision, had the master coach and all of it is as just taken away. It sickens me to think what we could have been if Tinkler wasn't an inept gambler and so immoral about paying people on time.

Yeh, we should definitely be the New England team (not officially in name, but in that should be the imagined territory)

macavity

Referee
The Northern Knights.

We could be a powerhouse but seem content to be a pauper.

And I will sponsor the club one day Fred ��

Burns

First Grade
The Northern Knights.

Tie it in with Game of Thrones! "The North remembers!" Play off the constant neglected Newcastle from State government/Sydney etc etc. Things make too much sense.

macavity

Referee
Tie it in with Game of Thrones! "The North remembers!" Play off the constant neglected Newcastle from State government/Sydney etc etc. Things make too much sense.

WE ARE THE NORTH

The marketing makes itself

We also need to foster and us v them mentality, and this will help. The NRL don't care who the people of Newcastle and surrounds support as long as its an NRL club. We need to make it matter. It should be taboo to support another team from Woy Woy up. We need to stop being nice.

Last edited:
This is why it would be beneficial to do a central coast merger. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense and I really can't see many negatives

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The Northern Knights.

If we are to change names, i reckon "New England Knights" would be more appropriate.

(Though i do agree that it should be taken on as a general "us v them" divide.)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
This is why it would be beneficial to do a central coast merger. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense and I really can't see many negatives

Youll have to explain the purpose of this....

I agree that the Knights should represent the CC area, but what would a merge achieve?? and who would we be merging with??

macavity

Referee
No merge needed, we just need to wall off from the Central Coast to the border and claim it as ours... and then develop it.

I agree that the Knights should represent the CC area, but what would a merge achieve?? and who would we be merging with??

If it could be done without a merger, great. But something would need to happen to appeal to The Central Coast fans.

macavity

Referee
Always blown my mind that the NRL isn't pressuring other clubs to take our games to Gosford, like the Roosters used to do.

Gets a better crowd and try to get some loyalty (to us) going on the CC.

But again, the NRL don't care WHO people support as long as they support someone. stupid approach as the best way to market a product is to segment your market and tailor your marketing, but it's driven by the successful (and hence popular) clubs who run the NRL, as it benefits them.

Joker's Wild

Coach

With the mob trying to get the Bears going there. They have good organization and good corporate support but no chance of getting in the NRL

We would be their best chance of permanent NRL presence on the CCoast

macavity

Referee
With the mob trying to get the Bears going there. They have good organization and good corporate support but no chance of getting in the NRL

We would be their best chance of permanent NRL presence on the CCoast

0% chance they want to "merge" with us, and honestly what is in it for us?

Their corporate support is rusted on "Norths" and wouldn't follow to the Knights (or we would already have them), and our staff wouldn't want their staff.

They have literally nothing of value to us, and any "merger" with us would be rightly seen by them as a takeover as we would want our name, colours, base and organisation to remain.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Well I would have thought that a permanent NRL presence on the CC was their top priority, which is what we would offer. In return we'd get a bigger jnr base to work with and more corporate opportunities. They may be linked to the Bears but the Bears aren't offering national exposure right now are they

I think it's win win for both parties much like the Steelers Dragons arrangement