What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knightsrebuild - time to do something.

Loose Cannon

Bench
"Community engagement" is a load of PR BS imo. There were a few in there carping on about more locals FFS. It's stuff like that that gives McGuigan and co the mandate to send out a team full of locals to run 12th.

Get a side that plays attractive winning football and the community will be engaged.

Couldn't agree more.

Instead of running a professional organisation, they have a desire to be Mr. Nice Guy. For example, leaving it up to Kidley to decide what he wants to do. Either absolute BS in order to not offend any crackpot supporters, or if true, flagrant incompetency not becoming of anyone in such a position.

Somebody needs to be a hard arse. It's what makes things work in any walk of life. McGuigan and Gidley prefer dinner dates with players families, to dictating terms (thanks Wally) of employment. People are getting paid, they should do their damn job.

Nice guys finish last, how appropriate.

slotmachine

First Grade
Can some explain what they mean by "community engagement" anyway?

The number one goal should be making the Knights an attractive proposition to support, instead of being embarrassing. That's for fans, corporates, all levels.

Attractive, winning football. An excellent game day experience. Success.

Why would anyone cough up for a corporate suite at the moment? Watching a 40% full stadium that is a silent as a morgue while the players go through the motions. Enticing.

Alex28

Coach
It means the fans - you know, the people who buy tickets and merchandise - actually give a shit. It isn't PR bullshit if it is taken seriously.

Jono078

Referee
When they say "community engagement" I can't help but think they wanna go to the local pub for a beer and yarn about footy with the locals.

mozza91

Coach
Community engagement means sfa. People don't care how about many schools the players visit, coaching clinics they organise or even sick kids they visit. It's based solely upon results. If the team is winning fans are happy and when the team is losing they're unhappy.

Frederick

Staff member
Just noticed that Nathan Ross (as in, NSW cup player) is following the Knights rebuild page on Twitter. Wonder if he shares our feelings about the club...

Loose Cannon

Bench
It means the fans - you know, the people who buy tickets and merchandise - actually give a shit. It isn't PR bullshit if it is taken seriously.

No one is questioning the fans role in this.

It's the club's side of the equation which is being questioned. Of which no answers are forthcoming. It is PR Bullshit when a buzzword is used without any substance behind it.

This whole movement proves people actually give a shit.

macavity

Referee
jwb.jpg

macavity

Referee
I could write an essay, but lets make it very simple.

The successful clubs do what it takes to be successful.

The Broncos, Dogs, Storm, Roosters, Manly (despite the hiccup) and Souths (in ancient and again very recent history) have a culture of demanding the best and being ruthless in achieving it.

They might not win it every year, but they are usually in there with a chance.

Everything about their very being is geared towards success. They are arrogant about it. They make no excuses for it.

They don't care about being nice guys. They expect to win every game.

They sack favourite sons, they recruit from every corner of the globe, and they are ruthless in cutting players and signing new ones. Their fans love them for it, and success begets success, and on they roll.

On the other hand, the also-rans use excuses to justify their irrelevancy.

They rely on "magic" (i.e. lucking into the best player ever, getting hot at finals time) and have no answers when it doesn't occur.

Without a cultural change, and the money to effect it, we will only ever be an also-ran. Lightening isn't going to strike twice - and even if the next GOAT grows up in the hunter, he won't play for us given the successful clubs pick the eyes out of our region. Hell, add Inglis, Cordner and Jackson into our team and it looks much better....

And I got half way to an essay. It really pisses me off how this is all so obvious to everyone except our club.

Some will say these successful clubs have less substance than us - but they evidently have more. They defend their line like the world depends on it. They are disciplined, they don't drop their bundle. That indicates they care more - that indicates they have more soul.

Our club would say to be like these successful clubs would be selling our soul. If mediocrity is at the core of our soul, I would agree.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
And I got half way to an essay. It really pisses me off how this is all so obvious to everyone except our club.
That's the real kicker for me. Blind Freddy can see the issues, yet nothing happens. If anything they make the issues worse more often than they improve them... and then the shoulders get shrugged and it's just dumbfounded faces everywhere.

What other club in any professional sport re-hires a coach that rode their team into the ground over a long period and then gives him more responsibility??? It's madness. Absolute madness.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Hell, even the Dragons know what to do when they are spiraling to the bottom of the ladder

I fear for our club. I really do

Noname36

First Grade

The Broncos, Dogs, Storm, Roosters, Manly (despite the hiccup) and Souths (in ancient and again very recent history) have a culture of demanding the best and being ruthless in achieving it.

Everything about their very being is geared towards success. They are arrogant about it. They make no excuses for it.

They sack favourite sons, they recruit from every corner of the globe, and they are ruthless in cutting players and signing new ones. Their fans love them for it, and success begets success, and on they roll.

They rely on "magic" (i.e. lucking into the best player ever, getting hot at finals time) and have no answers when it doesn't occur.

Without a cultural change, and the money to effect it, we will only ever be an also-ran. Lightening isn't going to strike twice - and even if the next GOAT grows up in the hunter, he won't play for us given the successful clubs pick the eyes out of our region. Hell, add Inglis, Cordner and Jackson into our team and it looks much better....

Some will say these successful clubs have less substance than us - but they evidently have more. They defend their line like the world depends on it. They are disciplined, they don't drop their bundle. That indicates they care more - that indicates they have more soul.

Our club would say to be like these successful clubs would be selling our soul. If mediocrity is at the core of our soul, I would agree.

:clap::clap::clap:

harrywilliams

Juniors
Just noticed that Nathan Ross (as in, NSW cup player) is following the Knights rebuild page on Twitter. Wonder if he shares our feelings about the club...

I'm not sure about the behind the scenes stuff but I know he's not happy about a few things, I think he believes he should be playing first grade and he's definitely not happy about Mamo overtaking him as fullback. Maybe Stone has told him he's staying down the pecking order.

Nuffy

Bench

Mac, rest assured we all feel the same way and this will be one of the themes, word count permitting, accountability also plus a little snippet about jrs.

macavity

Referee
Mate I could go on and on about my vision for the club - not saying it is all do-able or even desirable, but sometimes I feel like I'm alone in thinking about this. We need to think big and we are so caught up in paying last year's bills we completely neglect thinking about where we want to go.

4 academies up the coast with games in all locations (HQ in Newcastle (8 games), campuses at Gosford (2 games), Port Mac (1) and Coffs Harbour (1)) to lock up ALL of the talent in our WHOLE catchment... scholarship programs with a school in each location to start forming combinations and fostering loyalty from a young age.

sister club and administrator exchange arrangement with an NFL club (we need to learn professionalism somewhere)...

strong partnership with UON (who have a leading sports science faculty) to ensure best practices (I actually lobbied burro for this one and he started talking but then tinks took over)... the effect of having a whole research department looking after our sports science cannot be overestimated...

supporting other clubs to schedule our games at Gosford (a top sponsor would help us with that)....

Most of it takes money, and we need success to attract money, and we aren't getting either with NRL ownership.

With some seed funding and some decent administrators we could do special things, but we traded away half of our trust fund to Tinks to get rid of him, and we are burning through the rest as we can't generate enough cash to pay our way.

There are some things we could do for little cash though. Becoming intertwined with the university is a very good start.

I think the lack of a vision is the most frustrating thing, closely followed by the complete lack of any proactivity. We have let the Roosters take the Central Coast FFS.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the behind the scenes stuff but I know he's not happy about a few things, I think he believes he should be playing first grade and he's definitely not happy about Mamo overtaking him as fullback. Maybe Stone has told him he's staying down the pecking order.

Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. I'd be pissed if I was him as well. He is a much better player than Mamo at the moment.

Jono078

Referee
Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. I'd be pissed if I was him as well. He is a much better player than Mamo at the moment.
Yep. If we had a depth chart going into this season Ross would have been #2 for fullback.

Not Mata'utia, not Gagai and not Mamo.

I think Mamo will be the future there, but Ross has earned his call up and probably should have played FG at some point so far this year.