What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knightsrebuild - time to do something.

Nuffy

Bench
I've sent an email to Matt Gidley to get a general update on the coach recruitment process. Not specifics but rather some directional comments.

I've also asked for some general comments on recruitment and progress with the academy.

Broader thoughts on the campaign, what do we want it to be? Do we want it to evolve into a genuine Knights supporters group, the members one voice within the club? Is that even possible?

Haffa

Broader thoughts on the campaign, what do we want it to be? Do we want it to evolve into a genuine Knights supporters group, the members one voice within the club? Is that even possible?

It doesn't have to be the "one" but given you have the clubs ear it has to become a genuine supporters group to continue pushing members issues. When I was in the UK I helped (I was one of about 18 so not big noting at all) set up the Chelsea Supporters Trust and the progress and interactions those guys had were incredible. For a Billion dollar business to sit up and listen to a few people who spend too much time at the pub goes to show that it can happen at any level.

If you're looking for volunteers I'd be happy to help with anything really.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Just wanted to say congrats and thanks to all those involved in the Rebuild the Knights campaign to date...it is not about laying claim to everything that has happened but I think this group has been the catalyst for breaking the inertia that seemed to infect the club throughout all levels to say "we aren't prepared to wait anymore...IT NEEDS TO CHANGE NOW!" and the momentum more so than the specific changes and developments is linked to when this group started getting vocal...

So well done:clap::thumb

I feel the Rebuild The Knights movement has been a real wake up call for the club. Once the media got the tip off the whole situation just exploded TBH. At last they had the leverage they were looking for to show the club that there is a significant group of supporters who want change. Nathan Brown is a huge step in the right direction and I can see him being our most successful coach since Reilly. I really hope his three years are all progress and we give him another three after that.

Swarzey

Bench
I have a word doc open writing a piece regarding the appointment of Brown, the rumours around Maguire and the club's sudden strive for excellence since the campaign began. It's very, very hard to avoid giving us any credit for it because it screams ego but it can't be just a coincidence. I don't think they were exactly blind to the problems in the team rather they thought they could do it all behind closed doors and fans would eat up whatever they spilled. With the page, with Nuffy being the voice and meeting with the club, it showed that we won't sit back and take mediocrity.

Still Nutty

Juniors
And credit where credit is due...the action and activity seen at many levels within the club since the Rebuild the Knights campaign has been in motion is, on the whole, strong and positive...

Clearly the board's principal mandate after being formed has been to look at securing and strengthening the financial and business footing of this club - a key foundation for a strong future

And whilst nothing is perfect, I think the way the club is going about rebuilding the team, coaching structure, etc. is also showing a level of professionalism and vision to step above mediocrity within the means we can afford.

To be honest, while I'm not expecting miracles, I am much more enthused that I will be supporting a club in 2016 that will be significantly stronger, more professional and doing things (within its means) that are aimed at more than mediocrity and making up the numbers for its supporter base:thumn

voltron

Juniors
I think this campaign has urged the club to aim higher. Perhaps given them the courage to do what they were thinking anyway.
And i really appreciate how the club was more open after this campaign started. It really felt like they were responding to the community.

Good work boys

Swarzey

Bench
Guys, need a hand on something. What structures were created for junior talent thanks to Tinkler's takeover? Whatever they are, they're working and fits well with this piece and Brown's prior experience as a coach. Just stuck on it.

newyboy

Juniors
We need a James Graham type player or James himself. Only problem is that he would constantly be suspended for punching his only players who drag the chain, that's a given with the Knights current crop.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Guys, need a hand on something. What structures were created for junior talent thanks to Tinkler's takeover? Whatever they are, they're working and fits well with this piece and Brown's prior experience as a coach. Just stuck on it.

Sorry Swarzey...didn't want to leave you hanging but can't recall nay specifics

Given we had Muzza (God rest his soul. A champion human) and Mulholland running the junior recruitment it was a stellar structure. It would be nice if we got Pete back but he is not cheap and that is cos he can spot talent like few others. Basically my recollection is it was a wider net we threw so to speak and involved bringing kids from outside the area into our catchement ie. NZ to see if they were up to it. Whatever it was it needs to be built upon cos it is working. Brown with that sort of room to move could turn this place around quick. I fully expect Tapine and Levi to feature prominently next season. Levi speaks for himself. Tapine is a rep player in waiting.

aqua_duck

Coach
I have zero faith in Hagan overseeing a midweek BBQ let alone recruitment and development structures

Still Nutty

Juniors
* BUMP *

just wanted to review this thread because I think it interesting to see how much change and impact the efforts through here has seen us moving in the direction we are now.

I believe that this has been the catalyst for many of the things we are seeing now...

For mine I am happy overall to see where we are heading now based on the changes that have occurred since this thread kicked off.

It is not a fairy tale expectation that things would change overnight but I can see the building blocks to progress us as a more sustainable organisation going forward.

There does appear to be vision and a plan (and not just 'magic beans') to rebuild this club over time and within the limitations we obviously have.

The other big thing I am seeing on the field (albeit largely from the debutants and juniors) is some pride and effort in the jersey. The quality of the playing roster might be down but the effort is up significantly...it is not going to get us the line on its own but as the development of the younger players improves, I at least feel I see players out there who want to do better for the club, the fans and themselves.

Is it perfect? Nope - but I think a damn sight better than it was when this thread first started

What is the report card from others so far effectively 12 months on?

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
Well, looking at the off field stuff, things seem to be about as good as can be expected considering the NRL could have just folded the club or taken it to Perth/Ipswich.

Commercial revenue: 4th in the NRL if Midley is to be believed.
Merchandise: No idea really. Jerseys look good though.
Gate receipts / membership: Highly dependant on the on-field product. Doing OK considering you could hand us the second spoon on the trot right now.
Other income streams: Haven't heard anything on the subject. Probably a case of tidying up the mess before going down this path.

Brown and Mooney are making all the right moves in terms of recruitment so far considering the hand they were dealt. The biggest question is where they go from here with some $$$ to spend.

The current trajectory we are on seems promising.

We just need a good owner to buy us when we get put on the open market and hopefully TPAs can come with it.

I cannot wait to see what Browny does in 2018. If we can grab him the first signing i would make is JWH. We need that bloke who will stand up to anyone , any place at any time. Not had it since Chief or BK. Scott not so much.

perverse

Referee
At the end of the day, the jury is going to be out until the plan either works or it doesn't, and that's going to be a while. I feel like we've been here before. Early signs are promising, but I'm not ready to give Brown the keys to the Castle or sign him up for life like some are willing at this point. He's proven nothing except that he can spot an underperformer, which is a great quality to have in our position, but it's not going to get us back to the top on it's own.

Browns true test will be in what he can replace the duds with... and to be honest I'm not particularly enthused on this front, yet. He's yet to unearth a gem we didn't already have as far as I can see. I can't help but feel that the one time it would have paid off for us to pay on potential (Tapine) is the one time we decided to put our foot down, too... but we'll wait and see on that one, as our pack is starting to take shape long term without him anyway. At the end of the day, that approach will save us more than it costs us... so long term it's a good play if we stick to it.

I was kinda hoping one of the Pearsall/Bhana et al. club that he brought in with him would turn out a hidden gem, but at this stage it's not looking that way unfortunately. We kinda need hidden gems, because the ones that have already been found - we can't afford. Perhaps our first gem will come from Elliott or Barnett.

Last edited: