What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knightsrebuild - time to do something.

Frederick

Staff member
At the end of the day, the jury is going to be out until the plan either works or it doesn't, and that's going to be a while. I feel like we've been here before. Early signs are promising, but I'm not ready to give Brown the keys to the Castle or sign him up for life like some are willing at this point. He's proven nothing except that he can spot an underperformer, which is a great quality to have in our position, but it's not going to get us back to the top on it's own.

Browns true test will be in what he can replace the duds with... and to be honest I'm not particularly enthused on this front, yet. He's yet to unearth a gem we didn't already have as far as I can see. I can't help but feel that the one time it would have paid off for us to pay on potential (Tapine) is the one time we decided to put our foot down, too... but we'll wait and see on that one, as our pack is starting to take shape long term without him anyway. At the end of the day, that approach will save us more than it costs us... so long term it's a good play if we stick to it.

I was kinda hoping one of the Pearsall/Bhana et al. club that he brought in with him would turn out a hidden gem, but at this stage it's not looking that way unfortunately. We kinda need hidden gems, because the ones that have already been found - we can't afford. Perhaps our first gem will come from Elliott or Barnett.

While they were already at the club, I feel Brown can take full credit for Mataora and the Saifitis excellent form this year, as well as transforming Ross from a fill-in winger to our first picked centre

At the end of the day, the jury is going to be out until the plan either works or it doesn't, and that's going to be a while. I feel like we've been here before. Early signs are promising, but I'm not ready to give Brown the keys to the Castle or sign him up for life like some are willing at this point. He's proven nothing except that he can spot an underperformer, which is a great quality to have in our position, but it's not going to get us back to the top on it's own.

Browns true test will be in what he can replace the duds with... and to be honest I'm not particularly enthused on this front, yet. He's yet to unearth a gem we didn't already have as far as I can see. I can't help but feel that the one time it would have paid off for us to pay on potential (Tapine) is the one time we decided to put our foot down, too... but we'll wait and see on that one, as our pack is starting to take shape long term without him anyway. At the end of the day, that approach will save us more than it costs us... so long term it's a good play if we stick to it.

I was kinda hoping one of the Pearsall/Bhana et al. club that he brought in with him would turn out a hidden gem, but at this stage it's not looking that way unfortunately. We kinda need hidden gems, because the ones that have already been found - we can't afford. Perhaps our first gem will come from Elliott or Barnett.

DO you think that maybe Browny is letting the team grow it's own identity. He is not overcoaching trying to develop a playing style straight off the bat. Sitting back more and picking the players who stand out and getting the one's who don't to move on. Almost like a season long selection trial for long term futures at this club.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I would argue that Nathan Ross has turned out to be a bit of a hidden gem. Everyone was writing him off as having hit his ceiling before he'd even done anything this year and he's been a standout so far.

perverse

Referee
While they were already at the club, I feel Brown can take full credit for Mataora and the Saifitis excellent form this year, as well as transforming Ross from a fill-in winger to our first picked centre
I don't know how to quantify the Saifitis. They have come from absolutely nowhere in a very short period of time. I couldn't say how they'd be going under another coach, but Brown has had a lot of confidence in them. I think they personally deserve all the credit in the world at this point, too. He's definitely whipped Mataora into shape, full marks there - no question. Ross has flourished too and gone beyond the point I perceived to be his limit. It will be interesting if he can keep it up, he has been playing for the contract of his life this year. How many times have we seen a player put the cue back in the rack once they've signed their new deal? Ross gets one shot at the big time, and he's definitely given it everything he has. Whether he can maintain the rage or not will be the making of him, and Browns effect on him.

DO you think that maybe Browny is letting the team grow it's own identity. He is not overcoaching trying to develop a playing style straight off the bat. Sitting back more and picking the players who stand out and getting the one's who don't to move on. Almost like a season long selection trial for long term futures at this club.
Sure, maybe. I don't know what style of coach Brown is, to be honest... whether he coaches "Brownball", or whether he has a more individual approach with his players. I've been very impressed with some of the ball movement we have managed when it has gone right. Obviously it doesn't go right often enough yet, and we're not giving ourselves enough opportunities... but when it comes off, it looks good.
I would argue that Nathan Ross has turned out to be a bit of a hidden gem. Everyone was writing him off as having hit his ceiling before he'd even done anything this year and he's been a standout so far.
As above, I'm happy for Ross and he's already done more than I thought he could, however I'm still trepidatious given that he's currently playing for the only "big" contract he'll ever get. Lets see how he goes once his future is settled, and into next season.

At the end of the day, I can see that Brown can do good things with the tools he has available, the next step is to get the right tools... and not all of them are going to come from within. I like the path we're on, there's a lot of pain involved and there's going to be a few sad goodbyes to a few of the players - but it's certainly what needs to be done. My confidence in Brown is definitely growing, I'm just not ready to go all-in at this point. I want to see Tariq's money go towards something productive.

Last edited:

newyboy

Juniors
Watching Origin, first thing is don't buy anymore Queenslanders.
BOYD and GAGAI do nothing for the knights yet play out of their skin for QLD.

perverse

Referee
The only difference I see between Gagai in Origin and Gagai here is in Origin he has quality players around him. He tries his guts out for us for the most part. It's hard playing in a team when you know you're better than your teammates.

He's not a player that will lift those around him to his level, but he's a player that can play to the level of those around him

Last edited:

Swarzey

Bench
Watching Origin, first thing is don't buy anymore Queenslanders.
BOYD and GAGAI do nothing for the knights yet play out of their skin for QLD.

And today we have a nice serving of straw clutching...

He played on the end of a stellar QLD team, being in the right place at the right time. He digs deep for us every week; what do you expect? A solo effort in every game he plays? To be an absolute master on the field and set up try after try? Sure we need and want and expect him to ball play a little more but for what it's worth he doesn't exactly do shit all.

Tryhard

Juniors
And today we have a nice serving of straw clutching...

He played on the end of a stellar QLD team, being in the right place at the right time. He digs deep for us every week; what do you expect? A solo effort in every game he plays? To be an absolute master on the field and set up try after try? Sure we need and want and expect him to ball play a little more but for what it's worth he doesn't exactly do shit all.

Too True Swarzey, he just showed how much further he can go when playing alongside +17 players who go out there like it could well be there last Game! SEE OTHER POST as his performance goes much further than SOO! The Knights have had plenty of players in the past, and the off team support, let alone supporters that bring what happened tonight! They need to focus on bringing that and get rid of all the other distracting BS!

The only difference I see between Gagai in Origin and Gagai here is in Origin he has quality players around him. He tries his guts out for us for the most part. It's hard playing in a team when you know you're better than your teammates.

He's not a player that will lift those around him to his level, but he's a player that can play to the level of those around him

This is why I can see him possibly looking for a release at the end of the year.

slotmachine

First Grade
not sure why newyboy all worked up, he's inherited boydos qld wing position where you get to fall over the line for tries

maybe it was that thigh strapping, but frizell would have run him down if cronk didnt get in the way

perverse

Referee
He didn't exactly fall over the line for number 2. Well I suppose he did after gathering the loose ball, running 90m and getting ankle tapped.

slotmachine

First Grade
I saw him catch a lovely pass from Jennings and then almost get run down by a second rower. Like I said, that might have something to do with the kilometres of strapping on his thigh though.

slotmachine

First Grade
No issue.

The point someone was trying to make is that Gagai apparently had this crazy good game last night and tried much harder than he does at the Knights.

I think he had an OK game, didn't really do that much and tried exactly as hard as he does at the Knights.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

F*ck your pessimism, Browny will take us all the way.

Hell, i think we need to ditch the "Knight" and rename ourselves the "Newcastle Browns"

13507150_1038162186237588_2962930400238941123_n.jpg

Bam!! You can have that one for free

Youre welcome

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Thats exactly the way i see him and thats why i dont want him at the club...

He would dominate off the back of a huge forwardpack (he is the kind of player Souths need ATM) but he will be looking at retirement before that will be of any use to us.

He could be great, but he isnt the kind of player we need. And when he is on half-a-mil, that that becomes a pretty big problem....

He didn't exactly fall over the line for number 2. Well I suppose he did after gathering the loose ball, running 90m and getting ankle tapped.

So he is relatively fast (stil got run down by a forward)....

Mamo or literally any other winger could do that and for a fraction of the price. He is a $.5mil finisher which is not what the Knights need right now.

Last edited:
The point someone was trying to make is that Gagai apparently had this crazy good game last night and tried much harder than he does at the Knights.

I reckon he tries. I won't question his effort. A lot of that is up the middle and he goes nowhere much.
Issue is he just doesn't have the strength to break tackles and the opposition works him out.
Wrap 3 players around him and he is cut down. It was the same last night - he came in a bit early on and was shut down fairly easily.

Latest posts