What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knightsrebuild - time to do something.

aqua_duck

Coach
What worries me is they still think going local is the very all and end all of our problems. You can't tell me guys like butts, Matt Hilder, and matty parsons didn't play with more pride than locals like Owen Craigie, josh Perry and Clint Newton (first time he was here).

Spot On

Coach
McGuigan just doesn't seem like the bloke the club really needs. Might mean well but isn't convincing when speaking about the club and the future. I don't get the 'magic' reference at all.

Apey

Staff member
The video problem reminds me of

lisasimpsonvolleyball_zpsa56571ff.jpg

That was our only ball. There will be no team this year.

Spot On

Coach
http://media.skyracing.com.au/POD/1/Mb68ET.mp3

Kent on 2KY Big Sports Breaky.

Newcastle member, who was at the meeting last night, shares his disappointment about what was said by McGuigan and co. Kent digs the boot in. He also retells a Bennett story about the lack of passion at the club and how he had to lower his expectations of the group just to get through the season last year. The players were just content to play first grade, not win.

Those interested, Newcastle caller is on at 6min 55sec mark.

Nuffy

Bench
I must say that I am pleased and disappointed at where we are at.

I'm pleased that the club and media are starting to really talk about the troubles at the club and taking steps to correct.

I'm disappointed that it took this type of season to bring things to a head and I fear that if Stone had won 3-4 more games, nothing would have happened. External forces caused this change, not internal competency.

I'm not for a minute suggesting we achieved this, we did however create some noise that resonated with the fans and perhaps some in the media.

We can however take heart in the fact that all the points we were banging on about in the beginning, are almost identical to the points being discussed now. I think in the beginning, some were quick to dismiss our points, now they form the backbone of the concerns with the club.

And themes such as poor culture and accepting mediocrity are front and centre in media articles about our club now.

Jono078

Referee
Yep, it's great that what we were asking for (accountability and signs of wanting to be a premier club, not just a participant in the NRL) has come to the forefront.

McGuigan really annoys me, he seems to speak like someone who doesn't care and is happy to go about his day job and collect his pay cheque.

The amount of times he's used the word "magic" infuriates me. We had Wayne frickin Bennett! This guy has been "magic" everywhere he's been BUT here! So no McGuigan, "magic" is not what we need!

Haffa

McGuigan seems like he cares but clearly doesn't understand what he has to do. When he speaks he inspires zero confidence. He's good at his day job, but that's got nothing to do with the Knights.

Burwood

Bench
It still seems like amateur hour at the club- Stone's sacking leaked to the media before he had the chance to address players, not knowing how to work the video at the forum, a strategic plan that keeps getting delayed. The board know what they need to do, but they just lack the polish.

macavity

Referee
McGuigan isn't the problem.

He isn't a footy bloke so sounds a bit silly when he talks about it, but he is a Newcastle bloke and he is doing this to try to help out his town.

He isn't being asked to pick the team, he is being asked to schmooze and keep board meetings on agenda - and he is eminently qualified to do both.

Still Nutty

Juniors
McGuigan isn't the problem.

He isn't a footy bloke so sounds a bit silly when he talks about it, but he is a Newcastle bloke and he is doing this to try to help out his town.

He isn't being asked to pick the team, he is being asked to schmooze and keep board meetings on agenda - and he is eminently qualified to do both.

Agreed and the other thing I've taken form the feedback in here and externally is that the NRL principally picked the board to get this club on a sound financial footing...based on all the feedback I can glean, they are well on the way to achieving that aim, so in terms of skill sets they are the right people and doing a good job in that space.

Perhaps McGuigan would be wise to appoint a board spokesperson like Quayle to take the lead on matters relating to Rugby league aspects of the club's future direction/plans?

The board are learning how to combine business with a football club's superficial needs. If they keep us profitable and we can build from that they have done their job. At least we don't have a board like Parra who are all about the Rock Star existence and egos.

perverse

Referee
There's nothing superficial about the need for a club to succeed in pro sports. I'm sure the board will find it much easier to make the club profitable if we're winning games.

Of course not. I wasn't referring to success as superficial. I was talking about the need to make people happy all the time through knee jerk reactions to out of date ideologies. Making people happy all the time is purely superficial and pandering to their selfishness. If people were fair dinkum about this club they would see that the pain has gone on too long because said people are not to be offended at any cost. God forbid a more talented player oust a nuffie local. Winning is the only thing. The rest flows from there.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
So, get the best coach possible (are we allowed to spend money to get the best???) and let him punt the under performing overpaid players no matter who they are (and for the record there are very few I would be hesitant to punt) and buy what he needs to build a squad capable of having a greater than 50% win record each year. Maybe even win a few more home games!

Too much to ask??? Too simplistic??? Dreaming???

Seage

Juniors
Big question on who the best coach possible is. Hasler, Bellamy, McGuire aren't going anywhere.

We must be an attractive proposition on paper: good lifestyle, massive junior nursery, one town team. Somebody with half a brain could fashion that into something, couldn't they?

Still Nutty

Juniors
Big question on who the best coach possible is. Hasler, Bellamy, McGuire aren't going anywhere.

We must be an attractive proposition on paper: good lifestyle, massive junior nursery, one town team. Somebody with half a brain could fashion that into something, couldn't they?

Not according to Bennett?!:sarcasm:

Nuffy

Bench
Guys

I've had two weeks of business trips, so I am behind on this.

I'll post my thoughts in the next day or so.

Latest posts