What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knightsrebuild - time to do something.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
I think the message needs to be clear about M Gidley, Stone and Hagan out, but also said in the nicest way possible. My only concern that it will end up seeming like everyone is attacking them (even though it's not our intention) and then it won't be taken as seriously.

Last edited:

Swarzey

Bench
There's one last thing and it's the most significant as I can't travel to the remaining home games to pitch in with this; the physical reminder of the campaign.

It's nice to be able to have a digital avenue to spread this but it also needs to be physical. A banner would be so perfect and I'm gutted all of this didn't happen a year earlier. It's a lot of work, more work that I will end up putting in from my PC but it needs to be done with only four more home games left. It's a lot to ask and chances are I'm just trying to encourage a pointless effort but simply, if anyone here cares enough, has the drive and the stomach to sit through the remaining games, it would be a massive step in the right direction.

So.. Any push to get rid of stone in the newcastle media today or is it just business as usual?

Should pay to have a half page add on the local newspaper with our campaign

What we also need is media people to start spruiking the campaign.

Burns

First Grade
Robert Dillon has tweeted that he is reserving judgement on Stone, and that Darius Boyd would be a walk in to a Newcastle all time 17.
Brett Keeble seemed to acknowledge that there are frustrated fans, and re-tweeted a whole bunch of stuff from fans.

Robert Dillon has tweeted that he is reserving judgement on Stone, and that Darius Boyd would be a walk in to a Newcastle all time 17.
Brett Keeble seemed to acknowledge that there are frustrated fans, and re-tweeted a whole bunch of stuff from fans.

That's good to see, needs to be more of it. Hopefully one of them shares the Fb page or the Twitter page.

The facebook page is doing well. Has jumped by 20 members this morning, up to 108 already. I shared it on one of the fan pages where it wasn't shared, also in some
Comments on the official Knights page.

Wato

Juniors
Liked the page and signed the petition, really hope this does take off as we risk not just becoming a permanent failure on the field but off it too. The Tinkler era has given us a second chance with a clean slate and we are repeating the mistakes from the early years that landed us in mountains of debt and upon the brink of folding numerous occasions.

undertaker

Coach
Mighty Knights page has now posted they don't support the page in any way and if you do they want you to leave. :lol::lol:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=733583116764455&id=125158024273637

Who are the "Mighty Knights" anyway?:lol: Never heard of them. Don't tell me they're the Knights Nannas in disguise.

The "Mighty Knights" must sure be enjoying tolerating years of mediocrity. Sounds like the 234 people (so far) who 'liked' that post are a bunch of no-hopers in life who are desperately trying to hang on to the halcyon days of the Andrew Johns-era and any criticism is met with the intolerance of "negative views aren't welcome".:lol: So, negative views aren't welcome, but at the same time we should all believe that everything is alive and well and problems will somehow solve themselves? That'll do me!

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
Oh dear. That's the first time I've seen that page or a post from it.

It's those delusional "fans" that will keep us as a below average team over the next decade.

Just had a read of some posts... How are people so delusional? People saying how can you blame the coach? LOL seriously..

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Wouldn't do any harm sacking the whole team and start from scratch, like what Singapore did with their basketball team a few years ago.

I agree with undertaker...sack everyone and start again.

Long post disclaimer...

Correction, it was the Singapore national soccer team that was sacked. I remember my mum (who is Singaporean Chinese) telling me about this at the time, but confused it with basketball for some unknown reason:

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?84135-noordin-sacked-the-whole-national-team-except-himself

OT (but at the same time this does relate to the Knights), most Singaporeans I have personally known (either related to me or friends at uni) have the vision and passion for success that was instilled by the late-Lee Kwan Yew who became prime minister after Singapore achieved independence from the UK and then split off from Malaysia. Continual mediocrity and sub-standard performances is NEVER tolerated nor accepted, whether it be in school, sport or business. Change is something that is embraced when a tried and tested formula isn't working.

Since Malcolm Reilly left, the only two Knights personnel in the higher echelons who have shown that vision, passion and non-reluctance to change things is Warren Ryan and Brian Smith, and we all know what happened to both of them when they tried to implement change. They were both outnumbered against certain factions of the Knights community (e.g. Knights nannas, white Knights) and were fighting a losing battle.

And on the topic of Brian Smith and what happened in 2009, season 2009 remains one of the most frustrating things all these years later. I agree with those who said that we will never know how well we could've gone that season (and subsequently in 2010/11) had the players not decided to throw in the towel after Smith announced his signing with the Roosters. I'm not saying we would've won the premiership that year, but I know we would've ended up much better and gone close (the only obstacles infront would've been Parramatta, he were starting to gain momentum late in the season, and a cheating Storm).

After the year of hell in 2007 with Joey retiring, the massive player clean-out, Kirk Reynoldson saga (and News Ltd's campaign against Smith, including that girl who wrote that latter:lol:) and being doomed for our second wooden spoon in 3 seasons until we decided to pull our finger out of our arse in the last 8 minutes of our season to snatch a miraculous victory after the siren against the Tigers, 2008 was a re-building year and we were extremely unlucky not to make the top 8. Lost several close games and copped bad ref decisions at crucial moments in matches (the dubious offside penality in the last two minutes against the Warriors at home turned out to be the loss that kept us out of the finals). 2009 was the year where we finally got our act together and started playing as a team. Until Smith's signing with Roosters, we showed a lot of character, cohesion and passion with the squad we had. Strong, grinding 80 minute performances against the Warriors (home), top of the table Dragons (away), Gold Coast (home), Bulldogs (home) and then who could forget Ben Rogers performance against the Raiders when Mullen got injured early in the game? Rogers was far from one of the most talented halves we had, but his performance that night still remains one of the best individual 80 minutes performances under immense pressure I have seen at the Knights. Then Rd 19, we were 5th place, only one point behind a cheating Storm outfit and 6pts behind 1st placed Dragons. We had the bye that round, Smith signing with the Roosters was announced and everything changed after that...The players simply stopped putting in with sub-reserve grade like performances against Manly and Roosters, which then culminated in that loss against Parramatta. And Paul Harragon, who was one of the influential powerbrokers on the Knights board at the time and initially defended Smith's signing at the Knights, was the one who ultimately led to Smith's sacking. I remember he was on holiday in U.S. at the time (what he was doing on vacation during the season at that time of the year I don't know. He thought he could relax and have a nice, cosy time in Hawaii or West Coast of U.S. on the beach whenever he wanted to instead of doing the job he was employed to do at the Knights whilst things were starting to turn pear-shaped at the club. Reminds me a lot of what David Gallop used to do) and after that peahearted 40-8 loss to the Eels, Harragon cut short his holiday and immediately flew back to Australia to convince the other members on the Knights board to sack Smith, which was done only three days before our next match. What happened after that? We get a new coach (Stone), and comfortably beat a cheating Storm outfit 26-14. Go figure...

Last edited:
So on that mighty Newcastle Knights supporters group on Facebook there is someone blaming the supporters for how shit we're going.. Good God.

undertaker

Coach
There's one last thing and it's the most significant as I can't travel to the remaining home games to pitch in with this; the physical reminder of the campaign.

It's nice to be able to have a digital avenue to spread this but it also needs to be physical. A banner would be so perfect and I'm gutted all of this didn't happen a year earlier. It's a lot of work, more work that I will end up putting in from my PC but it needs to be done with only four more home games left. It's a lot to ask and chances are I'm just trying to encourage a pointless effort but simply, if anyone here cares enough, has the drive and the stomach to sit through the remaining games, it would be a massive step in the right direction.

Well, the fans got the LOL@5(c)uff$ movement exposure during our last home match in 2011. That gives us some hope that what you are saying can be done

So.. Any push to get rid of stone in the newcastle media today or is it just business as usual?

Should pay to have a half page add on the local newspaper with our campaign

What we also need is media people to start spruiking the campaign.

Question: who are some prominent personalities in the media or celebrities in Australia who are Knights fans? I know H.G. Nelson is a Knights supporter, who gave the club a lot of promotion and support both before and after the 2001 Grand Final on The Cream (tv show Roy and H.G. did on Ch 7). His comedic partner Roy Slaven used to live, study and work in Newcastle in the '70s and '80s before he teamed up with H.G (this was before the Knights admission to the comp in '88). Kim Beazley is a passionate Knights fan (used to be the official Knights patron) and was going to renovate the then-Marathon Stadium had he won the federal election in 1998 or 2001. Other aspects of his support for the club are found in threads like this:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=151016
http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/hansart.nsf/V3Key/LA20011017012

Last edited: