What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Little known TV series/underrated TV series

newtownbluebags

Post Whore
Caged Panther said:
I'm sure passions is still on some mornings at about 2am
It is, 2am Monday to Thursdays :lol: on 7. It used to be on in the afternoons at 3 or something like that.....

Choppies

Coach
newtownbluebags said:
8 periods with Mr Gormsby?..was that it?...a NZ comedy, was a good show! ;-)

Yeh i got that on DVD a few weeks back after watching it on the ABC.
Classic show.

newtownbluebags

Post Whore
Choppies said:
Yeh i got that on DVD a few weeks back after watching it on the ABC.
Classic show.
:D Apparently a second series is being, or has been made where Gormsby gets his job back at the school!....should be a great laugh! :lol: :lol: :lol:

chinorocks

Juniors
The D-Generation did a show called Funky Cops right before they did Frontline. only made about 6 episodes but it was piss funny. Have searched everywhere for a dvd but no avail.

newtownbluebags

Post Whore
"Celeb" - described as "The worst British sitcom ever made" I thought it was good!. Was on ABC a few months back late on Friday nights. It was centred around a burnt out Rock Star and his butler/family etc. :lol:

Balmain_Boy

Not little known, but a very underrated show - in Australia at least - is Scrubs. The first 3 seasons are brilliant and leave it close to my favourite comedy series of all time.

Yet Channel 7 shows it at 11pm. Funny thing is I never watched it when it was originally on but rather discovered it when Channell 7 were showing it at 11AM during my Uni holidays. Great show.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
newtownbluebags said:
"Celeb" - described as "The worst British sitcom ever made" I thought it was good!. Was on ABC a few months back late on Friday nights. It was centred around a burnt out Rock Star and his butler/family etc. :lol:

It's starting on the Comedy Channel sometime this month. Anything with Harry Enfield in it is gold.

Speaking of which, The Harry Enfield Show (?) would have to be one of my favourite shows ever.

Life Support before the original Dr Rudi was shipped off was excellent.

Alex28

Coach
It was 'Funky Squad' after The Late Show - probably 10 years ahead of it's time.

'Arrested Development' is a brilliant show and while it got critical acclaim, it got little support from Fox in the US and it was too hard to program here. A great shame - the smartest comedy to come from America.

'Entourage' is too hard to program on commercial FTA TV here as well - brilliant show though!

I'd love to see SBS give 'Bro'town' a run on FTA - very very clever show. Too good to have shoved away on the Comedy Channel.

Gene Krupa

Referee
I loved Sledge Hammer. Dead Like Me was a good show. Was just getting interesting when it finished. Tru Calling is an interesting show that got cancelled before it's time. Two Guys And A Girl was a show funnier than Friends, had a better cast and more interesting characters. Unfortunately it was cancelled before some of the ongoing story lines were resolved.

Caged Panther said:
Sliders was excellent for the first few seasons started to go down hill after John Rhys Davies left and became absolutely abysmal when jerry o'connell left.

The whole Cromag story line left me cold. When Sabrina Lloyd who played Wade left and she was replaced by Kari Wuhrer (Maggie Beckett) they lost me too. Beckett was no replacement for the Welles character.And OMG! Replacing an actor with another to play the same character, that just puts the nail in the coffin. And don't get me started on the brother!

Caged Panther

First Grade
Gene Krupa said:
The whole Cromag story line left me cold. When Sabrina Lloyd who played Wade left and she was replaced by Kari Wuhrer (Maggie Beckett) they lost me too. Beckett was no replacement for the Welles character.And OMG! Replacing an actor with another to play the same character, that just puts the nail in the coffin. And don't get me started on the brother!

I don't even remember how Wade got written out of the series. Don't think there was a problem with Kari Wuhrer so much it's just that when you come in to replace a main character in a small ensemble cast it's always going to be difficult.

I didn't mind the cromag story but I think it "jumped the shark" in an episode that was a complete rip-off of the speices movie.

Other under appreciated shows

Ed with Julie Bowen who is now in another underappreicated show - Boston Legal and going back to the sci-fi theme Stargate: Atlantis

strewth_mate

Bench
Replacing an actor with another to play the same character, that just puts the nail in the coffin

One of the more odd ones I remember was replacing Eric Bana with Vince Colosimo on Something in the Air. That wouldn't happen today.

I don't mind Arrested Development, but a lot of the focus seems to be around it being a smart comedy for Americans. As far as I'm concerned, cleverer shows have been coming out of Britain for a lot longer, Americans just have different standards and get excited when they actually make a good show. In terms of American comedy, it's fantastic, but in terms of comedy from everywhere else, it's just good, I think </opinion>

Somewhat hypocritically though, I rather like Boston Legal :D

Gene Krupa

Referee
Caged Panther said:
I don't even remember how Wade got written out of the series. Don't think there was a problem with Kari Wuhrer so much it's just that when you come in to replace a main character in a small ensemble cast it's always going to be difficult.

I didn't mind the cromag story but I think it "jumped the shark" in an episode that was a complete rip-off of the speices movie.

Read some of the threads on IMDB. They will explain alot about what happened with the show and the actors who got fired. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112167/

Steel Dragon

Bench
Anyone hate sitcoms?

The creators of Scrubs has made a show about two guys who love sitcoms - but hate what sitcoms have become.

Essentially it's a sitcom about a reality show about the making of a sitcom.

It's called 'Nobody's Watching' (search for it on youtube.com)

The pilot episode was commissioned by WB, but they decided not to put it into their schedule - so the show was scrapped. The creators put it on youtube and it was a runaway success.

Needless to say other networks jumped at the opportunity and NBC has picked it up.
So far there is only the pilot episode available - but heres hoping the show takes off and comes to our screens shortly.......

McLovin

Staff member
I see channels 7 and 9 have jumped of the late night quiz show bandwagon. Absolutely nothing on between 12 and 3 except that rubbish...