What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Massive News: SMH: Runaway Lyon says he's keen to rejoin Parramatta

IMO Lyon has no Passing game guys.....great 3/4 and a better Judas but 5/8 nahhhhh (his flick passes is not a passing game)

Eelementary

Post Whore
Professionalism. Ah, yes. The word that is inevitably thrown up when discussing one Jamie Lyon. But there's a problem with it.

See, people are individuals - they don't always get along with one another. IF Lyon really grew to dislike Coach Smith (it's apparent that they were on the same page at one stage, as he signed an extension deal), well then it's a two-way street to Lyon's dislike. And, quite frankly, I can understand why.

Smith-coached teams don't use sweeping backline movements in the 2nd or 3rd tackle. So, essentially, the Eels had a team with the world's best centre in it, but he hardly got any ball. Perhaps the frustrated young man approached Coach Smith and asked him to change his tactics. When he refused, perhaps he asked Coach Smith to place him at 5/8 - a request that, once again, was denied.

So, naturally, this youngster is getting two differing reports - the media reports (in the form "Jamei Lyon is the world's best centre"), and the reports from his team (in the form "No matter how good our backline is, they don't get the ball before the 4th tackle"). He begins to question whether this footballing life is really for him - he is contracted to the Eels for a further few seasons, but he doesn't seem to see eye-to-eye with the coach anymore - a coach he evidently once liked, as he signed an extension. He gets frustrated, and no doubt one Noel Cleal got in his ear, thus further confusing things.

And we end up with this.

One thing I'd like to point out - win or lose, it's partly the coach's fault. So why, then, when a star player walks out, is it ONLY the player's fault?

Smithy may be a top bloke, but everyone is different - he's bound to rub some people the wrong way.

He was 22, he was frustrated and he had (undoubtedly) Cleal in his ear telling him to take 'time off'. He made a mistake. OK, there are no guarantees he won't do it again...But I'm certain that you could put some sort of a clause in his contract to safeguard against it happening again.

And finally - I highly doubt he'd return without some sort of agreement. The agreement being he'd be expected to make an apology for his actions.

Suitman

Post Whore
I've always thought that Brian Smith coached teams played to a very strict formula.
That is, they do the simple things correctly and if that works, then things can be ad-libbed somewhat. In 2001, our forwards were so dominant that the confidence was high enough for the backs to have some fun.

In the last 4 years, this hasn't been a luxury we have been able to afford so therefore, the backs have suffered.

Like I said the other day in another thread.......I hate to be a back at Parra at the moment.
Our forwards just aren't playing tough enough footy, laying the platform for the backs.

Until that happens, I can't see things changing.
Maybe Hagan will be able to instill a bit of mongrel into our forwards.

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
Suitman said:
I've always thought that Brian Smith coached teams played to a very strict formula.
That is, they do the simple things correctly and if that works, then things can be ad-libbed somewhat. In 2001, our forwards were so dominant that the confidence was high enough for the backs to have some fun.

In the last 4 years, this hasn't been a luxury we have been able to afford so therefore, the backs have suffered.

Like I said the other day in another thread.......I hate to be a back at Parra at the moment.
Our forwards just aren't playing tough enough footy, laying the platform for the backs.

Until that happens, I can't see things changing.
Maybe Hagan will be able to instill a bit of mongrel into our forwards.

Suity

Thats why I've said in other threads I feel for Brett Delaney. Young buck, couple games in.....no chances whatsoever to show what he can do. We might as well have wagon out there.

I'm pretty much over all the debates about why he left whose fault it was etc, but I doubt the style of play had much to do with it.....because he had played under smithy for a couple of years, had recently signed a new deal and knew what he was in for.

_goParra

Juniors
Eelementary said:
Professionalism. Ah, yes. The word that is inevitably thrown up when discussing one Jamie Lyon. But there's a problem with it.

See, people are individuals - they don't always get along with one another. IF Lyon really grew to dislike Coach Smith (it's apparent that they were on the same page at one stage, as he signed an extension deal), well then it's a two-way street to Lyon's dislike. And, quite frankly, I can understand why.

Smith-coached teams don't use sweeping backline movements in the 2nd or 3rd tackle. So, essentially, the Eels had a team with the world's best centre in it, but he hardly got any ball. Perhaps the frustrated young man approached Coach Smith and asked him to change his tactics. When he refused, perhaps he asked Coach Smith to place him at 5/8 - a request that, once again, was denied.

So, naturally, this youngster is getting two differing reports - the media reports (in the form "Jamei Lyon is the world's best centre"), and the reports from his team (in the form "No matter how good our backline is, they don't get the ball before the 4th tackle"). He begins to question whether this footballing life is really for him - he is contracted to the Eels for a further few seasons, but he doesn't seem to see eye-to-eye with the coach anymore - a coach he evidently once liked, as he signed an extension. He gets frustrated, and no doubt one Noel Cleal got in his ear, thus further confusing things.

And we end up with this.

One thing I'd like to point out - win or lose, it's partly the coach's fault. So why, then, when a star player walks out, is it ONLY the player's fault?

Smithy may be a top bloke, but everyone is different - he's bound to rub some people the wrong way.

He was 22, he was frustrated and he had (undoubtedly) Cleal in his ear telling him to take 'time off'. He made a mistake. OK, there are no guarantees he won't do it again...But I'm certain that you could put some sort of a clause in his contract to safeguard against it happening again.

And finally - I highly doubt he'd return without some sort of agreement. The agreement being he'd be expected to make an apology for his actions.

Great theory, if Jamie was feeling for the lack of ball why did he not walk away in 2002, 2003. Why wait to sign a contract extension and then walk away 2004 when the season was 1 game old.

In conclusion this theory is bullsh*t

WA Eel

Juniors
Regardless of why he walked away, he was only a boy (with a large bearded man in his ear) at the time. He now returns as a man who's had time to think about what he wants in life and where he wants to be. No doubt he's a little embarrassed about the whole 2004 situation as well.

In that kind of mood, I reackon he'll be lethal when he returns. Also, as a ball runner, he's the perfect foil to Tim Smith's organising, passing and kicking game.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Parraren said:
2. It's a strategic media drama to divert attention away from the fact that he will eventually "officially" sign with Manly (although if that happens we all know he was signed sealed and delivered 12 months ago).

had crossed my mind too

strider

Post Whore
WA Eel said:
Regardless of why he walked away, he was only a boy (with a large bearded man in his ear) at the time. He now returns as a man who's had time to think about what he wants in life and where he wants to be. No doubt he's a little embarrassed about the whole 2004 situation as well.

In that kind of mood, I reackon he'll be lethal when he returns. Also, as a ball runner, he's the perfect foil to Tim Smith's organising, passing and kicking game.

when do you stop being a "boy" ... sorry but 22 (or there abouts) is NOT a boy .... if you don't have your sh*t together is some respect at 22 then you've got some issues

Avenger said:
To the stubborn ones I say swallow your pride and accept back one of the most talented players that has ever worn the blue and gold.

I couldn't care less how talented he is. If he screwed us over, no amount of talent should make us overlook this. Basically, from all reports, he lied about why he left - and that's not kosher.

I want to win a Premiership too, but I'm not willing to sell the integrity of this Club to get it.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Hollywood Jesus said:
I couldn't care less how talented he is. If he screwed us over, no amount of talent should make us overlook this. Basically, from all reports, he lied about why he left - and that's not kosher.

I want to win a Premiership too, but I'm not willing to sell the integrity of this Club to get it.

I didn't know you ran Parramatta? Who honestly cares what you're willing to sell and not sell? You have no say in what happens mate.

If Jamie's return upsets you that much then don't support the club, simple. The rest of us who want to win a premiership and stay loyal to our team will be over here enjoying the fact that the club are moving in the right direction with a coach who doesn't choke, and chasing a class player who we desperately need.

I have to say that people who are opposed to his return need to have a good look at themselves. You claim to be supporters, but here you are going off your rockers just because one of the best young talents our club has ever and will ever see wants to make up for his mistake. A kid from the bush didn't feel comfortable at our club so he left and now *for whatever reason, not mentioning names* he want to make it up to everyone and you won't even give him a chance? Great supporters you are.

Just get over it, it's not like you've never made a mistake in your life.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Eels call for Lyon to return
By Adrian Proszenko
April 13, 2006

THE chances of Jamie Lyon returning to Parramatta increased today after Nathan Hindmarsh led a chorus of senior Eels players calling for his return to the NRL club.

Lyon made contact with Parramatta football manager Tony Zappia about a possible homecoming, although Eels officials have been reticent to begin negotiations in earnest until they gauge the mood of senior players.

The former Kangaroo centre walked out on Parramatta after the opening round of 2004 citing burnout and difficulty in adjusting to the Sydney lifestyle, returning to his hometown to play for NSW country side Wee Waa before moving on to England.

But after watching him take his game to a new level as a five-eighth with St Helens, Eels officials are considering bringing him back to partner Tim Smith in the halves from next season.

While the players were upset at Lyon's decision to walk out on the club, Hindmarsh said all was forgiven and declared: "I hope he does come back."

"If he does come back there's no hard feelings or anything like that," Hindmarsh said today.

"I never had any when he left in the first place, it was his choice, I just thought he could have handled it a bit better than he did.

"It would have been tough for him.

"We've heard little rumours about the club talking to him, but we've got enough to worry about getting our season back on track."

Advertisement:
Hindmarsh, who had previously stated Lyon would struggle to get a start ahead of Eels centres Ben Smith and Timana Tahu, said the prospect of him playing at pivot was an exciting one.
"I haven't seen Killer play much at five-eighth, I'm pretty sure he'd talk himself up," he said.

"He'd probably want to take over the goalkicking duties and the kicking in general play.

"I'm sure if he does play he'd add something to the team."

Hindmarsh's thoughts were echoed by other senior teammates Nathan Cayless and Dean Widders, who said there was no "bad blood" despite his controversial departure.

"For sure, he's a world class player," Cayless said when asked if he'd welcome Lyon's return.

"Myself and Hindy have spoken about it, as have a couple of the other boys in the team.

"He'd be pretty handy."

Widders added: "He had his reasons for doing what he had to do, it really doesn't worry me."

Still contracted to the Eels until the end of this season, Lyon is not allowed to negotiate with other NRL clubs until the anti-tampering deadline expires on June 30, giving it the inside running on his signature.

Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said he planned to speak to the players about the issue next week.

"I haven't spoken to Jamie, I've got to look at a number of considerations before we decide whether we will or will not make any offer to Jamie," he said.

The biggest loser should Lyon return would be incumbent No.6 John Morris, who is off contract at the end of the season.

"If they want him to come back and play five-eighth, that's their decision," Morris said.

"There's speculation they're in deep talks with him but I don't really know where it's at.

"As it gets closer I'd certainly like to communicate with them."

Morris has been linked with a possible move back to Newcastle along with coach Brian Smith at season's end, but indicated his preference was to stay at the Eels.

"I hope they keep this side together and don't change it too much," he said.

"For me, staying at Parramatta is number one."

Meanwhile, St George Illawarra coach Nathan Brown is reportedly set to contact Channel Nine boss Eddie Maguire to ask for assistance in keeping star centre Mark Gasnier at the club.

Brown is hoping the network which helped prevent Andrew Johns from defecting to rugby union can assist in the retention of Gasnier.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18808320-23214,00.html

dazeely

First Grade
"If he does come back there's no hard feelings or anything like that," Hindmarsh said today.
"I never had any when he left in the first place, it was his choice, I just thought he could have handled it a bit better than he did.

Thats exactly how I felt. Obviously there was a problem of which we will never know but it came down to how he handled it all that hurt the most. Didn't think I could forgive and forget but everyone makes mistakes. Would rather see him in the blue and gold than up against us.

Anyway I still won't believe it until I see it. If I was a gambling man my money would be on him not returning.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Morris has been linked with a possible move back to Newcastle along with coach Brian Smith at season's end, but indicated his preference was to stay at the Eels.

"I hope they keep this side together and don't change it too much," he said.

Love your plan Johnny, keep a losing side together and re-sign blokes like you who are playing like sh*t.

The return of Lyon is lookin' good \\\\:D/

Stagger eel

Staff member
ParraDude_Jay said:
Love your plan Johnny, keep a losing side together and re-sign blokes like you who are playing like sh*t.

The return of Lyon is lookin' good \\\\:D/

check out the redvee website...their basicaly saying the same thing.;-)

I wouldn't count your chickens yet, they seem certain that his agreed to a 1 year contract.

Latest posts