What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 18 vs North Qld @ Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville / Wulgurukaba

Who will win? Round 18: North Qld v Wests Tigers

• North Queensland Cowboys 13+

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • North Queensland Cowboys 1-12

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

• Wests Tigers 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2023 - Round 18
North Queensland Cowboys v Wests Tigers
Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville / Wulgurukaba, South Townsville (TICKETS)
Saturday 1 July 2023

Gates open 3:30pm, LSS Finals 3:40pm, NRL kickoff 5:30pm. Broadcast live on Fox League, Kayo Sports.

NQL2023TEAM.png

1. Scott Drinkwater 2. Semi Valemei 3. Valentine Holmes 4. Peta Hiku 5. Murray Taulagi 6. Tom Dearden 7. Chad Townsend 8. Jordan McLean 9. Reece Robson 10. Coen Hess 11. Luciano Leilua 12. Jeremiah Nanai 13. Reuben Cotter 14. Jake Granville 15. Griffin Neame 16. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown 17. Kulikefu Finefeuiaki 18. Jason Taumalolo 19. Kyle Feldt 20. Sam McIntyre 21. Jack Gosiewski 22. Zac Laybutt

Changes: Jake Granville (lock to bench), Reuben Cotter (bench to lock)

WST2022TEAM.png

1. Jahream Bula 2. David Nofoaluma 3. Brent Naden 4. Starford To'a 5. Junior Tupou 6. Daine Laurie 7. Brandon Wakeham 8. Stefano Utoikamanu 9. Jake Simpkin 10. David Klemmer 11. Isaiah Papali'i 12. Shawn Blore 13. John Bateman 14. Tallyn Da Silva 15. Fonua Pole 16. Alex Twal 17. Asu Kepaoa 18. Alex Seyfarth 19. Will Smith 20. Tommy Talau 21. Justin Matamua 22. Aistasi James

Out: Alex Seyfarth (bench)
In: Daine Laurie (five-eighth), Stefano Utoikamanu (front row)
Changes: Asu Kepaoa (centre to bench), Starford To'a (five-eighth to centre), Fonua Pole (front row to bench)

A-REF-Y-2022TEAM.png

Referee: Liam Kennedy
Sideline Officials: Nick Morel, Dave Munro
Video Referee: Chris Butler

LOWER GRADES
Northern^ v Bris Tigers at Barlow, Sat - Colts 3pm / QLD Cup 5:30pm
Redcliffe v Townsville^ at Kayo, Sun - Colts 12:15pm / QLD Cup 2pm
Ipswich v Mackay^ at North Ipswich, Sun - Colts 12pm / QLD Cup 2:10pm

Parramatta v Wests Tigers^ at Ringrose, Sat - Flegg 4pm
North Sydney v Western Suburbs^ at NSO, Sun - NSW Cup 2pm​

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
What are the odds of WT repeating their last games effort against the Cowboys?
Young Tallyn Da Silva should get another run and could have a blinder, fingers crossed.
I Hope the Tiges don't ruin the lad. Rua seems to have faded off into obscurity.

Nutz

Bench
At least Sheens, or Benji, are starting to experiment a bit. Introducing Jahream Bula and Da Silva was a boost but why is he persevering Tommy Talau. Nadens back but he needs to step up.
Feledy isn't a boy any more, 18 I think, so he's eligible after round ten as a development player???
Regardless of how his lower grade form is, is it worth blooding the young fella for a couple of games for experience instead of playing Tommy who's off to Manly next year.
Is Feledy injured?
Bringing Blore back was the right D imo, but there's rumours he's peeved off and exploring options. Well done tiges, you get the guy right after a lengthy recovery from serious injury then stick him in reserves grade where he's played well, interesting.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
1. Jahream Bula 2. David Nofoaluma 3. Brent Naden 4. Starford To'a 5. Junior Tupou 6. Daine Laurie 7. Brandon Wakeham 8. Stefano Utoikamanu 9. Jake Simpkin 10. David Klemmer 11. Isaiah Papali'i 12. Shawn Blore 13. John Bateman

14. Tallyn Da Silva 15. Fonua Pole 16. Alex Twal 17. Asu Kepaoa

18. Alex Seyfarth 19. Will Smith 20. Tommy Talau 21. Justin Matamua 22. Aistasi James

Out: Alex Seyfarth (bench)
In: Daine Laurie (five-eighth), Stefano Utoikamanu (front row)
Changes: Asu Kepaoa (centre to bench), Starford To'a (five-eighth to centre), Fonua Pole (front row to bench)

WA Tiger

Bench
I’ll give them half a chance.. I like how Benji and co haven't panicked with brooks leaving, as the club has tended to do in the past. A lot. Let’s have a look at Laurie.From what Ive seen of him, I think he could be ok. He knows it’s his position to lose and he’s playing for his future.
If he works out I’m giving them a lot more than half a chance

Last edited:

TroyJax

Juniors
I dont think there is any discernable reason as to why the last game we played against them went the way it did.
Both team's form leading into it does not explain what happened and both team's form since then certainly doesnt.
It was the equivalent of shit happens and has no real bearing on the fortunes of either side ths year.
We are going to be road kill by the end of this week's game.
The score will be 50+ to less than 10.

Nutz

Bench
Bateman used the Tigers’ bye week to jet home to the north of England for a quick visit with his family. He flew back into the country early Wednesday in time for the captain's run. By the time he runs out against the Cowboys he would have racked up 20,000 kilometres worth of travel in just three days.
So the question is.....how is this going to effect him playing in the hot humid tropics?
The tigers have lost their edge and their skipper since we belted the Cowboys recently and I don't expect them to win this time around.
It will be great to see Da Silva trot out again.
Cowboys 36-12

We all probably have a mate who isn't that good a style, not built like a brick shit house, not a fantastic personality or sense of humour, nothing extraordinary about him. But for one inexplicable night he walks out the club with the best sort anyone has seen that year. It only ever happened the once though, and he was back to 2 out of 10's for the rest of his life, if he could pick up at all.

That was the Tigers 66 to 18 victory over the Cowboys.

Normal service will resume this weekend.

gordsy

Juniors
Craigie is what Schuster will turn into so no thanks for us going near him. I remember a game when Linc Withers smashed Hindmarsh, he came into my work a few days later and I asked him about it. He was still dirty about it hahahaha.

Nutz

Bench
Owen Craigie could have been a great, however it's a case of would've, should've, could've....or thereabouts.

Nutz

Bench
It's important to get off to a good start. I'd like to see absolute effort in D after a kick chase. The chase and the quality of kicks have been poor.
Too many times have we given them cheap metres then all of a sudden we are under pressure and concede points.
It will be interesting to see how we react to the Brooks news.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
We all probably have a mate who isn't that good a style, not built like a brick shit house, not a fantastic personality or sense of humour, nothing extraordinary about him. But for one inexplicable night he walks out the club with the best sort anyone has seen that year. It only ever happened the once though, and he was back to 2 out of 10's for the rest of his life, if he could pick up at all.

That was the Tigers 66 to 18 victory over the Cowboys.

Normal service will resume this weekend.

Haha. Tigers are $6 outsiders to a team they spanked by 50 just a few weeks back. Gotta be some bizarre record in that.

WA Tiger

Bench
Haha. Tigers are $6 outsiders to a team they spanked by 50 just a few weeks back. Gotta be some bizarre record in that.
With Toa at 6 last week that's to be expected…Did he even kick the ball once? Laurie’s got nice touch with his kicking in the opposition 20m in open play from what Ive seen of him, even when things are tightening up. that’d be novel..despite all the bleating there’s very few real weaknesses in the team and there’s potentially real potency in attack as proven last time around. If maybe Lauries matured some what getting demoted for a fair stretch, but not lost his cockiness, or his have a go attitude and if he can fall back on his halves smarts from when he played there, it could be a good return. Laurie being tried at 6 is long overdue

Last edited:

TroyJax

Juniors
With Toa at 6 last week that's to be expected…Did he even kick the ball once? Laurie’s got nice touch with his kicking in the opposition 20m in open play from what Ive seen of him, even when things are tightening up. that’d be novel..despite all the bleating there’s very few real weaknesses in the team and there’s potentially real potency in attack as proven last time around. If maybe Lauries matured some what getting demoted for a fair stretch, but not lost his cockiness, or his have a go attitude and if he can fall back on his halves smarts from when he played there, it could be a good return. Laurie being tried at 6 is long overdue
Laurie will get run over for at least 3 tries.