What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McGregor Appointed Full Time

twinkletoes

Juniors
I think Mary might do well...whether that means a GF time will tell. I'd just like to know who else was formally interviewed for the coaching position because that process would tell us a lot about how the club is being run.

Walpole

Juniors
Agree that three years is too long and that they should have waited until seasons end but...

I can't believe all the doom and gloom around this announcement. Since when did "supporting" this great club amount to death riding the coach for three years?

Nobody who thinks this is the end of the world can come up with one other candidate who a) wanted the job, (b) was actually available or c) is a genuinely better alternative. Bennett? Didn't want it. Sheens? Has never expressed any interest. Smith? A 66-77-1 record over his last 6 years as a coach. That's 46% - if McGregor only wins 46% he'll be crucified! Henry? Took the logical step up from assistant to head coach at the Titans (sounds familiar). Laurie Daley? Coaching the Blues I believe. Brown? Coaching in Super League and happy doing it. Jason Taylor? Seriously. Someone said we're the new Souths. Well who was coach of the old Souths (with his 42% winning record)

Personally I would like to have see Tony Smith given the job. But again, he didn't want it.

So that leaves McGregor. He might not win us a premiership but in 11 games we're already a much more competitive team than when Price was in charge. He at least deserves to be given a chance.

The difference with a coach that is still wet behind the ears is that he must rely on the players lifting him, instead of the coach lifting the players.

There are horses for courses for sure - however I think, with our current crop of players, and more-so where we've come from over the last 3 years (retiring stars, inept coaching, finals failure etc), we really needed a coach to lift the players.

The coaching and player staffing strategies at the club are out of synchronicity.

Perhaps coach McGregor does have the leadership required to command and motivate the men on his team and implement new habits. Does he have the football brains too? ...Some-one that has a full field picture, and the creativity to come up with plays that create opportunities?

We needed a holistic approach to recruiting the right coach. The recruitment process was supposed to achieve that. I wonder whether it has. Whether the board was being real - or whether it was just lip-service.

The Nick

Bench
Agree that three years is too long and that they should have waited until seasons end but...

I can't believe all the doom and gloom around this announcement. Since when did "supporting" this great club amount to death riding the coach for three years?

Nobody who thinks this is the end of the world can come up with one other candidate who a) wanted the job, (b) was actually available or c) is a genuinely better alternative. Bennett? Didn't want it. Sheens? Has never expressed any interest. Smith? A 66-77-1 record over his last 6 years as a coach. That's 46% - if McGregor only wins 46% he'll be crucified! Henry? Took the logical step up from assistant to head coach at the Titans (sounds familiar). Laurie Daley? Coaching the Blues I believe. Brown? Coaching in Super League and happy doing it. Jason Taylor? Seriously. Someone said we're the new Souths. Well who was coach of the old Souths (with his 42% winning record)

Personally I would like to have see Tony Smith given the job. But again, he didn't want it.

So that leaves McGregor. He might not win us a premiership but in 11 games we're already a much more competitive team than when Price was in charge. He at least deserves to be given a chance.

There's too much logic in this post! GTFO here!

Saintsified

Bench
Well Mcgregor was a far better player than Toovey, Hasler, Bennett, Bellamy, Mcquire, Robinson and Cleary to name a few, if he ends up being a better coach than them as well I'll be happy.

DUB888

Juniors
From the Lurker 2pm today

In the Dragons’ Den
Don't be surprised if the Dragons announce Paul McGregor as their full-time coach in the next day or so. The only reason for the delay has been a haggle between the Dragons and McGregor's management over the length of the deal. McGregor wants three years, the Dragons only want to give him two as he is basically untried over a long season - and the club will probably win out.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nr...mour-file---friday/1nqxhbked7se31dt8jng02wle0

Godz Illa

Coach

In the Dragons? Den
Don't be surprised if the Dragons announce Paul McGregor as their full-time coach in the next day or so. The only reason for the delay has been a haggle between the Dragons and McGregor's management over the length of the deal. McGregor wants three years, the Dragons only want to give him two as he is basically untried over a long season - and the club will probably win out.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nr...mour-file---friday/1nqxhbked7se31dt8jng02wle0

lol. The club lost, on a number of levels.

tumbidragon

First Grade

In the Dragons? Den

:lol:If true, the board got held to ransom by a rookie coach and his management?.. FMD :crazy:

RedPenno

Juniors
Well if Mary can do that to the board imagine him getting all the players he wants without Doust interfering. lol

BennyV

Referee
Seems to me McGregor has done quite well so far with prices team, so many people on here raving about how the dragons world is going to collapse with Mary as coach when the poor guy has inherited what he has at present. At least let him get a team he wants before slitting your wrists & hopefully he will convert a lot of people. I HOPE Anyway congrates to Marry & go the mighty Red V

Dude, are you actually Peter Doust?

bottle

Coach
One thing for sure, if Mary fails there will be a conga line of critics on the forums handing it out deluxe. He is already loathed by plenty and the guy hasn't even seen out the end of a season yet.
It will be an interesting ride next year.

RONG

Juniors
Three years seems a bit long, I would have thought two years with an option in the clubs favour for a third would've been better. Know he has the job I wish him and the club the best! There is no point in getting pessimistic about it we cant change it we just have to enjoy the ride.

RedPenno

Juniors
Same line you throw at everyone who doesn't agree with you . and no I'm not. but at least I'm not death riding someone who isn't price & hasn't had a go like you.

TruSaint

Referee
Well if Mary can do that to the board imagine him getting all the players he wants without Doust interfering. lol

Doust interfere?
Only come election time mate.
He will be the longest CEO in the games history.

Imagine a freshman coach and a player manager winning a deal like this.
It is farcical.
A 1 year deal with a performance based option for another would be the most a novice should get.

GT0007

Juniors

There is no place for facts in this forum! You will upset all the deathriders!

There's too much logic in this post! GTFO here!

:lol::lol::lol: