What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Jerseys

jed

First Grade
Choppies said:
Raiders: As I said earlier I like the jersey but the Collar WTF?
A lot of players have called for collarless jerseys, like what St George and Brisbane have, but a number of clubs have recognised that jerseys without collars are simply glorified training shirts that the fans pay twice as much for, so ISC have developed the "sportman's collar" which means that there's still a collar there, but it's a lot harder for the opposition players to grab onto it.

innsaneink

Referee
Which players Jed?

I cant recall the last time I saw a players progress halted by the grabbing of a collar.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I dont think i've seen a player grabbed by a collar in like 10 years, but that's the alleged rationale behind collarless jerseys. you get used to them, if you go abck to the earl;y 90's plentyu of teams had v necks but no collars

jed

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Which players Jed?

I cant recall the last time I saw a players progress halted by the grabbing of a collar.
Players jerseys have been tapered for years, the same rationale is that it's a lot harder to take hold, and removing collars is another way of hopefully evading tackles.

hrundi99

First Grade
jed said:
Players jerseys have been tapered for years, the same rationale is that it's a lot harder to take hold, and removing collars is another way of hopefully evading tackles.

The manufacturers may well do that on the players' request but the "authentic" jerseys sold in shops aren't tapered.

innsaneink

Referee
jed said:

So you dont actually know of any players calling for the removal of collars, or did you miss that bit?

Dunno about tapered, I do know players will wear a few sizes too small.

jed

First Grade
innsaneink said:
So you dont actually know of any players calling for the removal of collars, or did you miss that bit?

Dunno about tapered, I do know players will wear a few sizes too small.
no, I didn't miss that, however I'm not telling you my source within the club.

If you look at the Raiders jerseys from the last few seasons, the players have the sides tapered to draw them in closer to their body. The blue & yellow stripes on the sides of some of the players disappear altogether.

One of the forwards of the GB pack actually wears a kids size 14 jersey, although to look at him you'd reckon he was a L or XL

thickos

First Grade
With regards to the collar of the Raiders jersey, I'm not the biggest fan of it with the way Lincoln Withers is wearing it in that picture, but at least it can be folded over and worn like a conventional collar:

prof06.jpg

Still not great but its no diasater.

innsaneink

Referee
jed said:
no, I didn't miss that, however I'm not telling you my source within the club.

If you look at the Raiders jerseys from the last few seasons, the players have the sides tapered to draw them in closer to their body. The blue & yellow stripes on the sides of some of the players disappear altogether.

One of the forwards of the GB pack actually wears a kids size 14 jersey, although to look at him you'd reckon he was a L or XL

Wasnt asking for your source, was just wondering which players had mentioned something as petty as collars.

Its OK ;-).....I can see it could be a highly sensitive and confidential issue.

Pantherjim.

Referee
thickos said:
With regards to the collar of the Raiders jersey, I'm not the biggest fan of it with the way Lincoln Withers is wearing it in that picture, but at least it can be folded over and worn like a conventional collar:

prof06.jpg

Still not great but its no diasater.

Agreed, it looks a bit better with the collar turned down.

I guess, At least it has a collar rather than than the T-shirts that they've given the Broncos, Saints and Rabbithos.

thickos

First Grade
Considering its our 25th anniversary I'm a bit disappointed all they came up with was writing '25 years 1982-2006' under the logo... I was hoping for maybe a combination of the current logo with our old classic emblem in a newly designed crest or something... or maybe the old logo on the arms like the Wests Tigers have the old Magpie.

Besides the logo and the collar the jersey design itself is fine, a return to the original pre-Super League design is good to see. Besides those horrors Canberra jerseys have always been simplistic - just green with the traditonal blue white and gold stripes. I hope we never return to a "dog's breakfast" design.

jed

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Wasnt asking for your source, was just wondering which players had mentioned something as petty as collars.

Its OK ;-).....I can see it could be a highly sensitive and confidential issue.
Hardly.

The players were approached over the design of the jersey, and most were interested in having a clean neckline, however they were over-ruled by the club.

Iafeta

Referee
The Warriors new strip is as follows:-

0,1445,221161,00.jpg

Wairangi Koopu - image courtesy of stuff.co.nz

promo_1.jpg

Sione Faumuina, Clinton toopi, Awen Guttenbeil - courtesy of warriors.co.nz

Must say,I quite like it.

thickos

First Grade
Great jersey, simple and classy :clap:

Any chance the Warriors will get some of their original colours back in again? Blue, green, red etc...

Iafeta

Referee
I think the new Warriors kind of shy away from the old Warriors thickos. The first jersey was, well, it never really captured the essence of New Zealand or Auckland. Blue to a degree captured Auckland, but the green and red and what not was kind of off putting in comparison to Auckland's traditional colours of blue and white in most sports.

I'd say the only time the old jersey colours will come out is 15 year and 20 year anniversary matches against the Brisbane Broncos at Ericsson.