What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New NRL commission as News Ltd plans to exit game

Should John Howard chair the NRL commission?

• Total voters
he's a dragons fan.

were the most expendable for the so called "greater growth of the game"

the wheels are in motion.

Last edited:

maccattack

Juniors
I hope they dont visit this thread to make their decision.

John Howard would be a spectacular leader for this commission.

All those little factions looking to climb to the top of the tree would be kept under control by someone with his experience.

I hope he does do it. Rugby League would sky rocket in this country.

Brutus

Referee
I love the idea.

A 134 year-old John Howard would be of more value than Gallop.

bartman

Immortal
Yes Howard...who else could there be?

Who else would give the game enough profile AUSTRALIA wide...that is known AUSTRALIA wide...and push the game into the future.
May as well give this bird a go, she's well known...

0541968200.jpg

bartman

Immortal
First thing he'll do is deport all polynesians.

A Whites only NRL? No thanks.
:lol: His views on race are just one indication of how out of touch he'd be in the NRL job.

I thought he was a cricket tragic?

It all depends on which tracksuit Janette places at the end of his bed.

I think he even has a netball one.
:lol:

Will he get rid of all of his Wallaby tracksuits?
A good point, to all people thinking Howard would be good because he's a "league tragic".

How often did Howard spruik his league/Kangaroos credentials when actually in government, compared to his support for other codes, sports and teams?

Howard isn't a league tragic... he's just tragic, and will be moreso when he's 75 years old when this position comes about :arrow:.

Brutus

Referee
At least all that money the libs spent to invent that image wasn't wasted, was it Mick.

I knew someone swallowed that sh*te, I am just glad the constituents in Howards seat weren't that gullible.

So who should run rugby union in this country?:lol:

Brutus

Referee
Has Searle considered Molly Meldrum?

I'm sure Jarryd Hayne would feel comfortable with Molly running an independent commission.

Noa

First Grade
Nauru would have a stacked team.

He'd scrap the salary-cap too. f**k a safety net for poorer clubs.

Gippsy

Bench
I hope they dont visit this thread to make their decision.

John Howard would be a spectacular leader for this commission.

All those little factions looking to climb to the top of the tree would be kept under control by someone with his experience.

I hope he does do it. Rugby League would sky rocket in this country.

Very well said macattack.:clap::clap:

Big-Steve

Juniors
Mr Howard would be the only appointee to the board; the rest would be nominated and go through an election process among club and state delegates.
The issue for me is not who is appointed but how.

The major issue that people seem to have with groups such as NSWRL, CRL etc is that while is technically a democratic process of voting in reality people never get to vote and so have no say over who is appointed.

This sentence seems to imply we will get the same deal again in regards the appointment of the board.

A better structure that would rid us once and for all of the "superleague" hang over would be an NRMA styled Association. People such as Geoff Toovey and Dawn Frazer could then be making decisions about League in stead of motor cars and if voted in by people who a card carrying members of a registered club would always remain representative.

GB!

Juniors
I bet his first move would be to scrap the indigenous dream time team

he probably would!

this guy couldn't even run the country, so i don't think he could run the NRL.
anyone who thinks this is a good idea is either a liberal voter or a genius:crazy:
or both!

serious guys, i thought we were looking to improve on david gallop?

franklin2323

Immortal
Yes Howard...who else could there be?

Who else would give the game enough profile AUSTRALIA wide...that is known AUSTRALIA wide...and push the game into the future.

Even if he is just there for the transition!....to streamline everything and get the machine rolling.

The only other person I could think I'd want on this commission is Roy Masters purely for the fact he wouldn't take sh*t and loves the game.

If we end up with Ken Arthurson, John Quayle, Colin Love...you are basically ending up with the same sh!t, different smell...nothing will change.

Not just Australia wide He's internationally known. Politically I wasn't a fan of his but this could work. Who else has the love of the game and knows how to run Big Business (Aust is a big company).

We need more companies/people investing in the game as much as I don't like him BUT he has huge pull internationally he may be able to get overseas investers to the game.

Worse case he won't leave us worse off. I can't see him taking Channel 9's rubbish and assing about with the coverage nationally

As for his Frank Lowry is 80 and has Soccer in the best shape ever in this country. He has much yoounger people around him but is in control

Dogs Of War

Coach
I think a perfect fit, well at least while the restructure of the bodies happens. If he was set an agenda to get it working, I think with his abilities he would be the perfect guy to cut through the bullsh*t, and restructure the game properly so all the gravy train troupe dissapear

Come on people....

The fact is that most of you, if not all, are operating off of incomplete information. This ignorance cannot possibly offer any decent comment on the appointment of John Howard.

For instance, does anyone know the final structure of the independent commission, what Howards role would be, his tasks, how the commission will affect the game, etc, etc.

If you do not believe that a person like John Howard would be of great benefit for a commission with the little information you have on it - then you are a fool. Even with as little as you know of it you should easily recognize the significance and greatness of this man.

It happens to all long-serving leaders in a modern world, bar a rare one or two. The one problem with being Prime Minister for so long is that you make enemies and dissatisfy people here or there to one degree or another. To be leader for 10 years is a remarkable achievement for starters. He left this country in great financial shape and along with Peter Costello and the rest of his cabinet is responsible for the prosperity you enjoy during this world economic crisis. And more besides. Leaders around the world often commented on how well our country was going with John Howard in charge. Our growth rates were unbelievable on many occasions.

People always go to me: he was good but he didn't do this, or he didn't do that....but really, have you thought about it? The country only has one lot of money, and with it you cannot do everything....and if you tried, you would not be able to do it well....so one must prioritize. Its impossible to do everything.

So as to John Howard being on board the commission, I know a man like this would appreciate your support to do good within the game with his great talents and skills....I would like to say he is welcomed and I am honored by the suggestion, and hope it becomes a reality.

Latest posts