What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Canard

Immortal
Aussie Union fans always like to run with the "International League is uncompetitive", and yet the Wallabies haven't won the Bledisoe in a generation and only two teams have won the RWC in the 4 most recent tournaments.

I do also like the spin that the ABs beating Namibia 100-0 is "great for the games exposure", but the Kangaroos beating Lebanon 65-0 is "a black eye for the game"

The majority of that coverage is from Australian press by the way.

Matua

Bench
At a guess the NZRFU would just restructure the NPC and have the top division replace super rugby, probably keeping the PI teams there. Would be pretty simple just to add Counties-Manukau, BoP, Taranaki, Manawatu, Nelson-Marlborough and Southland and split the existing player squads across them.
The fact you didn't include the Magpies seems like a personal attack. ;)

Matua

Bench
They didn’t ‘let’ anybody do anything. SA chose to leave to pursue more lucrative opportunities in Europe, and there was nothing anybody could do to stop them.

It was actually a great opportunity for the ARU to cut it’s self loose and start their own proper national competition, which is the only hope there is to save club RU as a commercial product in AUS, but they wasted it.

Too dumb to see that the Kiwi’s are a ball and chain as much as anything else, and too scared to go it alone.

You reap what you sow.
Oz rugby can't go it alone. You've been listening to the ARU Chairman's once a month propaganda in the media while he was working in the back room to secure a deal with NZ.

Like in the early 70s (when NZ provinces started playing the two Oz states after the Wallabies lost to Tonga) and late 80s (when the pre season comps between Oz and NZ started) NZ rugby is again helping to support Oz rugby this time via a favourable TV split.

Unlike how the NRL/ARL stacks international league to favour the Kangaroos, NZ rugby wants a genuinely strong Wallabies.

Wb1234

Immortal
Oz rugby can't go it alone. You've been listening to the ARU Chairman's once a month propaganda in the media while he was working in the back room to secure a deal with NZ.

Like in the early 70s (when NZ provinces started playing the two Oz states after the Wallabies lost to Tonga) and late 80s (when the pre season comps between Oz and NZ started) NZ rugby is again helping to support Oz rugby this time via a favourable TV split.

Unlike how the NRL/ARL stacks international league to favour the Kangaroos, NZ rugby wants a genuinely strong Wallabies.
Hahhaa

all blacks sign islander players

nrl encourages islanders to play for their actual nations

tonga and samoa especially are one of the greatest achievements of international rugby league

Wb1234

Immortal
Aussie Union fans always like to run with the "International League is uncompetitive", and yet the Wallabies haven't won the Bledisoe in a generation and only two teams have won the RWC in the 4 most recent tournaments.

I do also like the spin that the ABs beating Namibia 100-0 is "great for the games exposure", but the Kangaroos beating Lebanon 65-0 is "a black eye for the game"

The majority of that coverage is from Australian press by the way.
Nrl hasn’t done nearly enough to promote and prioritise international rugby league

we should own the pacific

every year we should be having Tonga samoa png nz fiji and australia playing in an end of seaso ln tournament

our biggest rival has zero international component it’s where we can beat them

Te Kaha

First Grade
Hahhaa

tonga and samoa especially are one of the greatest achievements of international rugby league

you do talk shit Wally. The All Blacks don't sign anybody the NRL doesn't encourage anything. tonga did well because of a dispute with the NZ coach at the time, they aren't doing so well now, not that anyone would know, because they don't play much.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Man, all these angry bitter kiwi's. Must be something in the water

It's easy to see why you think Kiwi's are angry on here, having to deal with all of the stupid Aussies in this thread... but it's not anger, it's pity, you guys just aren't smart enough to recognise it.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Unlike you I don't need to listen to anybody's propaganda to get my information, because I'm actually here on the ground experiencing the problems first hand...
I legit couldn't even remember who the ARU chairman was off the top of my head, and had to look him up to jog my memory. Which should give you an idea of just how irrelevant the guy, the ARU, and the sport has become in Australia BTW.

The ARU has 3 big problems when it comes to engaging with fans, both new and old, in Australia.

• The rule set doesn't produce a product on the field that is competitive with the AFL and NRL anymore. They need to be largely reworked and streamlined, consequences from World Rugby and the other unions be damned.

• The vast majority of Australians couldn't gives two shits about the international club sides, including the Kiwi sides, which makes more than half the Super season effectively dead rubbers commercially. As an addendum to this point, restricting the participating teams to pseudo state rep sides has murdered potential growth in Australia as well.

• Finally, not having a GF and annual national champion has completely murdered the sport's publicity, and interest and growth. Though I'm sure it's great for NZ to have the Australian sides jobbed out to them all the time, to borrow a wrestling term, it's been cancer for the sport domestically.

You fix, or at least go a long way to fixing, all those problems and more, by cutting ties with the NZRU and starting your own national league, and if you think the ARU wouldn't be capable of that then you're a fool. Just getting Twiggy and a broadcaster onboard would get them most of the way there from the get-go.

'Helping' lol. Sure, if you're definition of 'helping' is alive but firmly under control. A golden cage is still a cage, and this particular golden cage ain't really all that golden.

The NZRU knows that they need Australian RU to thrive, but also that if RU ever gets popular enough in Australia that it's even just reasonably competitive in the player market, say something like 30% of the top talent that's currently going to the NRL and AFL went to RU instead, that that would be the end of the All Blacks as an institution, and they're doing everything they can to prevent that.

BTW, there wouldn't be any other competitive international RL sides outside of Australia and England if the NRL actually stacked international RL.

Wb1234

Immortal
Nzru agreed to hand over ten to twenty million pa to help fund the aru

they are desperate to try and save rugby union in Australia

will it work ? Buckleys

Te Kaha

First Grade
The NZRU knows that they need Australian RU to thrive, but also that if RU ever gets popular enough in Australia that it's even just reasonably competitive in the player market, say something like 30% of the top talent that's currently going to the NRL and AFL went to RU instead, that that would be the end of the All Blacks as an institution, and they're doing everything they can to prevent that.

There it is that tired old argument again, one that holds no water when the Kiwis with less NZ "top talent" than the "30%" you suggest can win a world cup. it's a stupid assertion, but one Australians never fail to make.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nzru agreed to hand over ten to twenty million pa to help fund the aru

they are desperate to try and save rugby union in Australia

will it work ? Buckleys
ARU revenue in 2021 was only $100mill. It'd be hard to build a decent standard national comp on that level of income. They'd need 2-3 times that at least for a ten team Australian comp you'd think? For a sport so surrounded by university types and business men they seem to be a pretty poorly run business.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Let/allowed them to leave as in they didn’t put in more effort to keep them i.e. financially.
ZA were always the major financial partner in SANZAAR and Super Rugby, so there was nothing of great value that either the NZRU or ARU, let alone Argentina, could offer them to stop them leaving.

The only reason ZA needed AUS and NZ in the first place was because they needed the higher standard of competition that they offered initially, but the better part of 30 years of development in Europe made them joining the URC (former Pro14) a better prospect for them.

They did what was best for them, and who can blame them. I wish that the ARU would have the balls to take risks and do what's best for themselves as well.

The Great Dane

First Grade
There it is that tired old argument again, one that holds no water when the Kiwis with less NZ "top talent" than the "30%" you suggest can win a world cup. it's a stupid assertion, but one Australians never fail to make.
Mate, the NZRU have access to almost 100% of the top contact football talent in NZ.

The ARU has access to, at best, a few percent of the best contact football talent in Australia.

Now engage your brain and think about that for a second. Each NRL side has a top 30, AFL 38 seniors plus listed rookies and other players. There're 17 NRL sides and 18 AFL sides, with a handful of exceptions each of those sides have multiple players that would be Wallabies if they'd pursued RU from a young age instead of RL or AR.

Meanwhile most Australian Super Rugby players wouldn't make it in the NRL or AFL, and we know that because almost all of them tried lol. The only current Wallaby that you could genuinely argue is one of the best contact football players in the country is Michael Hooper, and he's not getting any younger...

It's a truism as accurate as saying that the USA would dominate the rugbys if their international teams had access to just a percentage of the NFL's talent pool from a young age. Only the ignorant or foolish would pretend otherwise.

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
Hahhaa

You mean the nations of their parents and grandparents.

The rise of the PIs in league came nearly 30 years after the rise of Samoa in rugby. It's an achievement but not to the level you're hyping it, and as Te Kaha notes Tonga's rise was based on a player's dispute with a coach.

Also no one has ever claimed the ABs don't have the odd PI born players, balanced out by the fact NZ supplies the PI teams with a much larger portion of their players.

The Great Dane

First Grade
ARU revenue in 2021 was only $100mill. It'd be hard to build a decent standard national comp on that level of income. They'd need 2-3 times that at least for a ten team Australian comp you'd think? For a sport so surrounded by university types and business men they seem to be a pretty poorly run business.
Ten's way too many, 6-8 would be more achievable.

They'd also have to accept that they're going to have start at the bottom and build their way up.

Matua

Bench
Unlike you I don't need to listen to anybody's propaganda to get my information, because I'm actually here on the ground experiencing the problems first hand...
I legit couldn't even remember who the ARU chairman was off the top of my head, and had to look him up to jog my memory. Which should give you an idea of just how irrelevant the guy, the ARU, and the sport has become in Australia BTW.
I'm not as far removed as you may think. I live in Sydney. One of my mate's is the Chair of a club. Until a year ago I had two friends working for the Tahs.

The ARU has 3 big problems when it comes to engaging with fans, both new and old, in Australia.

• The rule set doesn't produce a product on the field that is competitive with the AFL and NRL anymore. They need to be largely reworked and streamlined, consequences from World Rugby and the other unions be damned.

• The vast majority of Australians couldn't gives two shits about the international club sides, including the Kiwi sides, which makes more than half the Super season effectively dead rubbers commercially. As an addendum to this point, restricting the participating teams to pseudo state rep sides has murdered potential growth in Australia as well.
Rugby is rugby, trying to rework an Australian version of the game as a way to compete with NRL and AFL is straight up bonkers. You can claim world rugby be damned but the biggest upcoming boost for Oz rugby is going to be a RWC played as "actual" rugby.

Last year the most of the "international club side" matches got as good crowds in Australia as the Oz v Oz games.

• Finally, not having a GF and annual national champion has completely murdered the sport's publicity, and interest and growth. Though I'm sure it's great for NZ to have the Australian sides jobbed out to them all the time, to borrow a wrestling term, it's been cancer for the sport domestically.

You fix, or at least go a long way to fixing, all those problems and more, by cutting ties with the NZRU and starting your own national league, and if you think the ARU wouldn't be capable of that then you're a fool. Just getting Twiggy and a broadcaster onboard would get them most of the way there from the get-go.
Australia have multiple times tried to create a successful domestic competition at a level below Super and were unsuccessful multiple times. I'm not as confident as you that Oz can successfully run a competition a level above that, especially in cahoots with Twiggy if he decides he wants more control at some point down the line.

'Helping' lol. Sure, if you're definition of 'helping' is alive but firmly under control. A golden cage is still a cage, and this particular golden cage ain't really all that golden.

BTW, there wouldn't be any other competitive international RL sides outside of Australia and England if the NRL actually stacked international RL.
Serious question, what control do you believe NZR has over Oz rugby? What is this particular cage? Your conspiracy theory about NZR trying to keep Oz rugby down so that it's not attractive to league and AFL players is frankly hilarious. It is one I haven't come across before though so it did give me a good chuckle.

You are incorrect about NZR, they were ready to go it alone. It's much more feasible for NZ than it is for Oz. But, NZR, as shitty as they may be at relationships (same with the ARU) know that it is mutually beneficial for both NZ and Oz to work together. Oz rugby isn't going to improve if they just play each other all the time.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Mate, the NZRU have access to almost 100% of the top contact football talent in NZ.

The ARU has access to, at best, a few percent of the best contact football talent in Australia.

Now engage your brain and think about that for a second. Each NRL side has a top 30, AFL 38 seniors plus listed rookies and other players. There're 17 NRL sides and 18 AFL sides, with a handful of exceptions each of those sides have multiple players that would be Wallabies if they'd pursued RU from a young age instead of RL or AR.

Meanwhile most Australian Super Rugby players wouldn't make it in the NRL or AFL, and we know that because almost all of them tried lol. The only current Wallaby that you could genuinely argue is one of the best contact football players in the country is Michael Hooper, and he's not getting any younger...

It's a truism as accurate as saying that the USA would dominate the rugbys if their international teams had access to just a percentage of the NFL's talent pool from a young age. Only the ignorant or foolish would pretend otherwise.

So, according to you.. the Kiwis with next to no NZ "top contact football talent " can beat the Aus "top contact football talent " and win a world cup, BUT, if All of the Aus "top contact football talent" played Rugby then Aus would dominate... That is some of the dumbest logic on here.